• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Rusty Tank under seat (prevention)

Professor

Went for a ride last Sunday with the wife. It was  perfect day for riding. Due to having to pick up or drop off large materials, I have only put 2000 miles on my '08 since Hurricane Michael. So it was great to be out for a ride. After stopping for lunch we returned to find a puddle of gas under the bike, and still dripping. Probably stupid thing to do, but we rode home, straight home.

I do not have a garage, so she is parked under a lean-to.  So she gets wet regularly.

After removing seat, I found that the top of the tank under the seat had rusted.
Removed, drained then wire wheeled area finding 3 holes around the re-enforcement plate. There are probably more under plate. (see pic #1)

Hoping to have prevented any further problems with the tank I did the following:
-acquired used tank in good condition
-used wire wheel to remove foam rubber from infected area. (pic#2)
-taped off area around re-enforcement plate (pic #3)
- sprayed 2 coats of Flex Seal, filling in all openings under plate. (pic #4)

This might be something to look at, especially for those who do not have a garage.

Hope this prevents this from someone else having this happen.

Attachments

• Tank1.JPG
    Tank1.JPG
    280.1 KB · Views: 152
  • Tank2.JPG
    Tank2.JPG
    178.2 KB · Views: 126
  • Tank3.JPG
    Tank3.JPG
    166.1 KB · Views: 128
  • Tank4.JPG
    Tank4.JPG
    164.6 KB · Views: 131
My bike is a 2015 and the tank was changed last year ON WARRANTY by Kawasaki for the exact same problem. My warranty had just expired but they decided to honour it anyway because they said it was the first time they encountered such a problem.

I'm in Canada so not sure if warranties are the same.

A bike cover might help also to keep water off bike in case lean to doesnt block all the rain.  Maybe some desiccant on seat when bike is seating up.