• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Sacramento to Virginia City 9-24-11

greg.m784

Street Cruiser
:motonoises:

Heading out around dawn Saturday to head to Virginia city in NV.  Street Vibrations is this weekend.  May or may not spend the night up there.  Anyone feel like going people watching?  :beerchug:

>:D

How is the Sacremento area for riding in November and December? Is the trip to Virginia City hampered by snow or rain during this time of year. I was hoping to trailer my bike to Sacremento in late November and possibly ride south from there. My thoughts were Sacremento south to Palm Springs area or west to the coast by San Francisco and south to LA, then inland from there. I've heard reports of heavy rain at that time of year.

Once the first snow falls in the Sierras, most of the passes close, so it is more difficult get to Virginia City than it otherwise would be, but it is still possible, though the route is mostly freeway then.  Hwy 80 (Donner Pass) is the one highway that for sure stays open all year, and you can get most of the way to VC on 80.

November and December are in the middle of our typical "rainy season".  That being said, there are years when not much rain falls during those months, and other years where it is very wet, so it is really a toss up as to whether there will be much rain during that time.  Down in the Palm Springs area it will be drier.  The weather on the central and northern coast can be unpredictable any time of the year.  Since you're coming from BC, I'm sure the weather here will be warmer and drier.  HTH,

Thanks for the reply. I remember getting caught in snow long ago on a motorcycle on the way to Yellowstone near the end of summer. Sometimes the weather is perfect and othertimes....