• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Sad sight @ dealer today

flying wasp

Bicycle
Took my bike in for sevice today. When I walked past the roll up doors I saw a Concours on the lift. After talking with the guy at the counter he said "you wanna see a Concours with trouble". We went to the bike I seen on the lift and they were doing an insurance evaluation on it. A 2011 with about 200 miles on it. The guy was at fireworks last week and while trying to get out of town a young gal rear ended him. Rider was OK and never left the bike. The guy said it is a "total" even though it was a slow speed hit. The frame was crinkled and I could not believe the way the gas tank was collapsed. I personally have been wearing a safety vest with reflective stripes on it for a few years now after I realized I'm not going to a fashion show. I also bought a reflector set for the rear of the saddle bags. The bike was going to a crusher to be disposed of. Be safe and be seen, my vest was $20.00 at Tractor supply. Just food for thought.

High vis is king!

large.jpg

I bet that was at macomb powersports. you wanna know why?  ......  That was my bike.  I am so sick right now.
I didn't get gap insurance and I dint know if my loan will be paid off.  I had the bike two days, 250 miles on the bike. I had cruiser style bikes for 25 years. My first NEW bike in 8 years.  Like you said, after fireworks,it took 45 minutes to get away from bumper to bumper traffic. all the cagers were pissed. Sitting at red light for 3 seconds. Next thing I hear is 2 1/2 seconds of tires locking up behind me, then SHE bumped me. I kept the bike up as she pushed me forward. Five cars stopped to help and seen the whole thing. She got two tickets. I got screwed.    I since then have been visiting this forum and found out how hidden these bikes are at night compared to my yamaha roadstar with all the lights and chrome.  I have to wait until insurance company reinspects the bike and figure out what to do.  I want another C14. unfortunately, they have none at the dealer. gonna have to get a 2011 .  I guess i will light up the rear end as soon as i get her.
  Murph.

Her insurance should be happy to just replace your bike. Especially if your not suing them for any injuries that might have incurred!  ;)

It was a great deal on the last 2010. I don't think I'm not going to get a new bike for the same price.  and the dealer that I bought from doesn't have any more. I have considered this a learning experience. Just waiting it out.  Michigan is a "no fault " state.  My insurance pays for my repairs then goes after her insurance.  I will keep you posted what happens..  Murph

Glad you weren't hurt.  Kentucky is also a "no fault" state.  My wife's car was rear ended by a kid on cell phone this past winter, turned out that since it was a no injury accident, his insurance paid for all the damage, no deductible!  Might be worth looking into.
Good luck!

Rear Ends scare the heck out of me  :-\. that's why I picked up my Hi Visibility yellow jacket. My brother riding behind me said, "if you get hit - they wanted to hit you." Anyway, I'm glad you were OK, and not hurt. Good luck and keep us posted.

I will know more Thursday or Friday. I will keep you posted.  Possibly my misfortune might help someone else. I believe that all things have a purpose.  MURPH

Getting rear ended is gonna happen. There's not a lot you can do. Take for instance the time I was sitting first in line at a stoplight with an electrical company van behind me. Hot summer day, the van driver was checking out the miniskirted chic in the car next to him in the left turn lane. When the left turn signal came on and that lane started moving, so did he. I got punted into the intersection.

Or this morning, even. Coming into work, rush hour traffic was light, the rush hadn't started yet. I leave a light and accelerate up to 45mph in a 45 zone. I'm in the center lane of 3. Mirror check for traffic - it's all way back as expected. Turn signal on, look in the right hand mirror- it's clear. Just as I start to move over to the right I hear a motor roaring and catch a flash of blue out of the corner of my eye as I suddenly get flanked by two Dodge SRT4's racing. They had come racing up behind me side by side and they had to be doing close to 90mph, in a 45 zone. At the last second, the guy behind me dove right and as soon as he passed, swung back so he could be side by side with his buddy.  I wouldn't be here if I had been a little more aggressive in my lane change.

There's not much you can do to prevent being rear ended. All the precautions in the world won't account for stupid people. Glad to hear you're OK, Murph. The bike can be replaced.

And if anybody see's a brite blue Dodge SRT4 in the Santa Clara/San Jose area, let me know. The plate is BLU SRT4. I have a can of insta-foam with his name on it.

I'll keep my eyes open for you JPavlis...I work in the area as well. If I see it, I'll make sure to let you know where. Heck, I'll even help with the foaming!  ;)

Around here it is usually used to start a 50,000 post thread. If that does not make any sense to you, just sit back and wait for things to warm up.

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why we need that emoticon of the guy eating popcorn....

Brian

DannyL said:
JPavlis_CA said:
The plate is BLU SRT4. I have a can of insta-foam with his name on it.
I'll ask the question even if it makes me look naive, what's the insta-foam for  ???

DannyL said:
I'll ask the question even if it makes me look naive, what's the insta-foam for  ???

It's usefull for many little annoyances.    ;D

I'm thinking of "expanding"  :rotflmao:  my use of it. I wonder how many cans it would take to fill a cars interior.

What was that movie with Stalone?  :))

Jim had brought back and will probably turn into a foam thread. Oh boy here we go!  Maybe I should split this off into it's own thread in the say anything section before I'll be forced to lock  it!  :))

slider_popcorn.gif

mimurph,

Been there done that.  On 4/17 I bought a used 08 ABS for 8500 with 1600 miles.  On 5/16 I was hit head on by a woman turning left to enter a parking lot.  Her fault 100%.  Insurance gave me what the cost would be to replace it according to sales in my area.  I got 9353 from the insurance co. and another 1000 from the salvage co that picked the bike up.  I also got 500 for the bags since they weren't on the bike.  On 6/10 before I could even walk straight I bought an 08 leftover for 10888.  Also I got another 4669 from the insurance co for my injuries.

Whatever you do make sure you get a lawyer and sue the insurance co.  Just by mentioning lawsuit they'll cut you a check for whatever is reasonable.

My son has Gieco insurance, A lady turned left in front of him, he totaled out his Harley Roadking. Gieco checks dealers for the same bike, with the same miles on it, pays him that amount plus any taxes and registration fees he would have to pay.
ry%3D400

JPavlis_CA said:
DannyL said:

I'm thinking of "expanding"  :rotflmao:  my use of it. I wonder how many cans it would take to fill a cars interior.

Jim, this might be more fun:

2505309060053667879S600x600Q85.jpg

Dan

BDF said:
And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why we need that emoticon of the guy eating popcorn....

Brian

Well, here's the guy bringing it for plenty to eat:

2401516210053667879S600x600Q85.jpg

I have all of my emoticons turned off, can't stand the animation distraction.

Dan

It has been my experience over the past 50 years or so that if you get rear ended (or nearly rear ended), you could be on fire and they wouldn't notice. So the wig-wags, flourescent vests, etc. can help in certain situations but your six is still going to be vulnerable.

I have not rear ended onyone myself but I have come mighty close. In all incidents I was completely distracted by something (mostly skirts - or whatever they were wearing at the time). Nothing short of an explosion would have grabbed my attention, I was totally distracted. I was rear ended just once and the guy who hit me (I was driving a Toyota Supra, he was driving a Chevy Tahoe) was distracted and looked up just in time to slam on his brakes 20 feet before smacking me. Like I said, I could have been on fire and he would not nave reacted any differently. In the car, there were no escape routes. Had I been on the bike I could have slipped down the shoulder which I have done many times in the past.

The best defense is to check your six when you are slowing and take nothing for granted. If at all possible, have an escape route and stay in first gear if things look dicey.

Not long after I got my first Honda CB-750 I nearly got crushed on the freeway going to work. I was travelling in the left lane when traffic came to a sudden stop. With the disk brake on front I dropped anchor knowing that traffic following me could not stop as fast as I could. I hammered the brakes, slowed to about 25mph and immediately headed for the center divide, not even checking behind me. Screech - kablam, the guy who was behind me slammed into the car I was following. Timing was everything. It was there that I developed the escape survival technique I use today.

Dan

The Stalone movie was Demolition Man with Wesley Snipes...
You mean the one with the car crash and the foam filled car right?

JPavlis_CA said:
DannyL said:

So the adjuster went out a second time after a $10.000 estimate was found.  I was told the process is now at the "dead vehicle department" to figure out what they will do. My insurance guy said that he has not had many people disappointed with the offers they received.  I hope this is the case for me. Hopefully Monday or Tuesday will know more.  Murph

I sure hope things work out in your favor without losing too much $$. Never thought this post would go the way it has. Again, good thing you are ok and if they ever fix mine? feel free to contact me to try mine out with the few mods on it. I'm really looking at the hyperlites for the rear and a flashing front,also sticking with my safety vest. The wife always gives me grief about putting hers on. The key don't turn till she puts it on. Trying to get smarter with age  :mad: