• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Saddlebag lid removal

gp74

I need to get a saddlebag lid off to have painted. Unsure of best way to remove lid. Do you just remove the 4 rivets on the lid side and replace with four new rivets? Never worked with rivets but it seems it should be easy enough to drill them out. For those that have removed the lids...any tips, or am I missing something. Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Yep, drill out them rivets, u can order exact replacements from partszilla if I remember correctly..pop rivet tool should be less than $20 and will come with 2 sizes on the tip for using the correct sized shaft on the rivet

When you drill out the rivets, use a bit at least as large as the head of the rivet. Go as fast as your drill will let you and use light feed pressure. Keep pecking at it until the head comes off.

When you drill out the rivets, use a bit at least as large as the head of the rivet. Go as fast as your drill will let you and use light feed pressure. Keep pecking at it until the head comes off.
HmmMMM... :unsure:...not quite how I'd do it.
Yeah, light feed pressure sounds good but sometimes a drill bit will grab and pull through on you, then you've got a hole too big for a normal rivet. If you use a dull drill so that doesn't happen then it might get hot enough to melt the plastic...not good either.
I'd use a drill the same size as the rivet body and if the rivet starts spinning or doesn't release then I'd slowly move up a size until the head comes off. Using my method does run the risk of the rivet spinning and getting hot but watch it closely for that and if it happens a drop of super glue usually will let you return to drilling instead of spinning. Neither method is perfect but mine prevents ending up with an oversized rivet hole. All about technique and watching what's going on....or you can just go at it with a drill and count on luck....and if it works....well then you'll think I'm one of those over-thinkers that make simple things become complicated. To be honest, I've never heard anybody accuse me of overthinking...usually just the opposite. :rolleyes:

I have a 2012 and if I remember correctly one side has a nut bolt fastener that can be removed without drilling out and reinstalling rivets. It would be another thing to tape off when painting but is much easier.