• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

SC Wrench Session

Ranger Jim

Sport Tourer
I must say that current sign ups for the SC Wrench session (March 23, 2013; Anderson, SC) is underwhelming. So far there's a grand total of 3.  :'(  Come on guys. Here's a chance to get your bike squared away in time for the primary riding season plus the COG Spring Rally (Run With The Wolf). There will be two (count 'em, two) bike lifts; these are table lifts that will enable you to change your oil without standing on your head. We will also have steering head bearing wrenchs, torque wrenchs, mity-vacs, rags, waste fluid containers, and manuals (for C10s anyway). Oh, LUNCH will be FREE, as in, NO COST (Thanks Al! :great:) All you need to bring is your consumables (e.g. oil, fluids) and parts you want to install or replace. We've arranged with the local Kawi dealer to have parts on hand. If you're coming in from a distance, we can provide lodging space for you on Friday and/or Saturday, you just need to let us know so we can warn our spouses  ::). WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR!!! :mad:  Here's the link so you can let us know you're coming, that way we can plan the lunch.  http://www.cog-online.org/clubportal/EventDetail.cfm?clubID=1328&EventID=176771&mo=3&tDate=%7Bd%20%272013-03-19%27%7D

depends on work that weekend, I'll try to make it down from Charlotte.  Maybe some of the other guys up here may ride along.

I sign up to attend this a few weeks ago. I'll be bring Fred's DVDs of the C14 and a shop manual.  :)

It will be a nice jester for several of us NC folks to ride down for this.
So if anyone wants to meet and ride down, post up.  :)

Oh...... as another heads up.......  there's a NC/SC meet on the calendar. So check it out.

I'm located exactly halfway between Volcantour's session (the one you attended last year) and Anderson, SC and I'm going to one of them. The Georgia one has 100 miles of lower mountains, the route to Anderson is 100 miles of slab... Hmm... Who wants an attendee?. Now taking bids........ :103:

Yes, we will be able to dispose of all the fluids (made arrangements with a local garage; I know a guy... ). :great:

The wrench sessions in GA, FL and SC offer great opportunities for riders in the vicinity to get their bikes "ready" for what is the "normal" riding season here in the Southeast AND to get them prepared for attending the SECOG regional rally RUN WITH THE WOLF. We will be doing light maintenance: oil & filter changes, coolant changes, brake pad R&R,valve adjustments (C10 anyway), etc. At the SC session we will have manuals, CHALKDUST, DVDs on the C14, torque wrenches, spanners wrenches for the C10 steering head bearing, a Twin-Max carb synch. tool, TWO (count 'em 2!) bike lifts, rags, buckets/pails, FREE FOOD, access to parts stores, standard wrenches, screwdrivers, etc. Also, if you're coming from a considerable distance and need lodging either before or after, between Lane's place and mine we can house you. YOU HAVE NO REAL EXCUSE NOT TO COME! Well, maybe if work demands or your SO dictates otherwise but ... . You get the point. We won't have a master mechanic like the FL session but we will have folks who've done these procedures many times who can offer assistance. If you're a skilled mechanic and don't need the assistance, come anyway. Someone else can benefit from your expertise. If you don't need any work done on your bike; come anyway and hang out with some great folks. Do you really have a better way to spend a day?

What about bikini babes for bike washes?  Mine could use it's semi-annual bath!  :))

Assuming work does not get in my way, i'd like dibs on the carb sync tool for a bit.  Mine have never been checked and I'm curious to know how good/bad they are.  SISF's spa treatment is in my future plans, but for now, this would be nice to check. I will do all the work, but if someone could watch/guide and enjoy a cold beverage while helping me, that would be awesome!

That's the way a wrench session works. YOU do the work; someone who's done the same task is close by to advise/assist. Synching the carbs is pretty simple, the hardest part is taking off the tank so you can get access to the screws and hooking up the alternate fuel source.

Jim, just a reminder that SC means different things to different people.  When I first saw the thread I wondered who was having a wrench session in the South Central area of COG.  I will never see SC as South Carolina.  It does help that the thread is in the SE ride area but I saw it on the new post list and did not notice that part. 

Yall enjoy, to far for me.

Pope....you coming across 40 and 85?  Any idea what time you're coming through Charlotte?  Perhaps Tom and I can join you along the way...

NCRider...you're a COG member now, right?  did you register at the link at the top of the thread?  If not, take a look so they can keep a good headcount.  if you need help with it, just ask us.  we'll provide guidance.

@ Bob Smith -  I understand what you're saying but I reject your reality and substitute my own. :) I would suggest that since it was located in the Southeast Region's section and SECOG's calendar then the majority of COGgers could figure it out. Wish you could make it though! :great:

Sport Rider said:
Pope....you coming across 40 and 85?  Any idea what time you're coming through Charlotte?  Perhaps Tom and I can join you along the way...

I'm planning on headding down Friday afternoon ( hey Jim, heads up!  :)) I'll get with you later to discuss this. ) and yes, I'm planning on super slabing (I-40 & I-85) it both down and back.  :motonoises:

NCRider said:
.... he is supposed to pick up his Calsci then anyhow.

On the way back from SC.  :great:

The Pope said:
I'm planning on headding down Friday afternoon ( hey Jim, heads up!  :)) I'll get with you later to discuss this. ) and yes, I'm planning on super slabing (I-40 & I-85) it both down and back.  :motonoises:

you'll hit construction on 85 from exit 91 to exit 81, then again from exit 55 to 46.  if you come through Charlotte at rush hour, you'll also have slowdowns just before exit 28 where it goes from 4 down to 3 lanes.  See you on Saturday morning.  :great:

Sport Rider said:
NCRider...you're a COG member now, right?  did you register at the link at the top of the thread?  If not, take a look so they can keep a good headcount.  if you need help with it, just ask us.  we'll provide guidance.

I am indeed a proud COG member.  I will sign up, although I won't need any work done.

Shameless Bump. What are you guys waiting for?  :mad: We'll have two motorcycle table lifts, FREE FOOD, specialty tools (steering head bearing spanner, mityvac, torque wrenches, Twin-Max carb synch., etc) FREE FOOD, rags, containers for waste fluids, FREE FOOD. We can offer lodging for those coming in from a distance so you can come on Friday if necessary, you can stay over Saturday night and depart on Sunday if necessary. SECOG is providing FREE FOOD (lunch on Saturday, Lane promises it will be good). Meet some great guys/gals, get your bike all set for Run With The Wolf, enjoy the upstate of SC, eat some FREE FOOD. GEEEZ! :-[

FREE food? NOW you tell us. I'm halfway and was on the fence but felt sorry for Tom so I signed up to go there! Aw, still feel a little sorry for the guy (and there are hills and curves between here an there).  :motonoises: Maybe the Skype will work work.

In case Jim didn't mention it enough, there's FREE FOOD, and that goes for all three same day wrenching sessions.      Al

ron203 said:
FREE food? NOW you tell us. I'm halfway and was on the fence but felt sorry for Tom so I signed up to go there! Aw, still feel a little sorry for the guy (and there are hills and curves between here an there).  :motonoises: Maybe the Skype will work work.

FREE FOOD is available at all three venues. Now, who's sorry?  :nananana:

Not me... I felt a great disturbance in the Force (free food...) and was drawn to the west.  So does free food mean this is now a RTM (Ride To Mooch)?

I just read on another bike forum that Competition Accessories will be having a big open house event on March 23rd at the retail store in Rock Hill. Jim or someone in that local area verify this? If so, it sounds like it could be a nice excursion for some while we are in the area AND it might also help to get more Cogers to show up to the wrenching session.  :great:

it'd be about a 2.5 hour ride between them, so I'd think would take away time from one or the other.

I've been to the CA shop in RH before.  their showroom is relatively small as most of their facility is warehouse and distribution.

Shameless bump. Time and tides wait for no man (or woman). Don't get caught napping. Get your bike ready for the "riding season." There's FREE food too.

Can't wait but guess I'll have to.I'll be coming 321 to I85 looks like a 2 1/2 hr. ride not sure what time to leave maybe 7am--- oh bye the way is there free food? :))

Roger

NCRider said:
Sport - who is riding from CLT?  I am thinking about joining you...

Just you and me, I believe.  I figured we'd meet up and leave about 8?  Were you thinking about leaving earlier?

nope.  hadn't thought much about it at all :)  Earlier the better, it seems since it will be over a 2 hour ride each way.

Sport Rider said:
Roger, we're probably going to leave about 8 from Charlotte.  Want to ride down with us?
      I've been down that way numerous times in the past but it's been awhile.I'll ride down maybe next weekend and figure out a place where we could meet up,preferably a exit or 2or10 past the 321-I85 intersection if that's alright with you?

Roger

Session is a only a few weeks away. Attendees, if you haven't already it would be very helpful if you would register via the calendar so we can determine the number of people who will be consuming the FREE FOOD.  Also, if you need any specific Kawi. parts (that you aren't bringing with you), we can order them at our local Kawi. dealer (good guys BTW).  At this point, I only know of two folks planning to arrive on Friday night; if this is wrong and there are more, please let me or Lane know. Looking forward to seeing everyone. :great:

Ranger Jim said:
I only know of two folks planning to arrive on Friday night; if this is wrong and there are more, please let me or Lane know. Looking forward to seeing everyone. :great:

That's my plans. See ya Friday evening.

mf-rabbit said:
Sport Rider said:
Roger, we're probably going to leave about 8 from Charlotte.  Want to ride down with us?
      I've been down that way numerous times in the past but it's been awhile.I'll ride down maybe next weekend and figure out a place where we could meet up,preferably a exit or 2or10 past the 321-I85 intersection if that's alright with you?

Roger

any exit down there would be fine.  Just let me know.

I plan to be there.  It is such a long trip but I will try and get a good nights sleep beforehand.
Figure 14 minutes on I-85, 10 minutes riding down 187 and should be there. I think I accidentally got lost in your neighborhood once while driving a county vehicle.

Do you have a welder?  I have to modify my center stand to clear the left side mid pipe.
Is fork oil too much to tackle?

Ranger Jim said:
Also, if you need any specific Kawi. parts (that you aren't bringing with you), we can order them at our local Kawi. dealer (good guys BTW).

Jim, would the dealer have the break light modulator? If so, would you order it, or do I call them and order it?

Thanks,
Jerry

Sport Rider said:
mf-rabbit said:
Sport Rider said:

Roger

exit 14 bojangles on the left of the exit ramp-8am ok?

Roger

mf-rabbit said:
Sport Rider said:
mf-rabbit said:
Sport Rider said:

Roger

Roger
mmmm... bojangles biscuit and gravy.

mf-rabbit said:

Roger

I'm ok with that Roger.  Waiting for Thom to chime in.

much to my chagrin, I am going to have to pass.  as of last Thursday, I have no ride....... :'(

I hope you guys have a successful session and I hope to join you at some point.  right now all of that is up in the air.

Hey Stevej yall have Bojangles down there don't ya?

Roger

Roger,
looks like it'll just be me, so I'll meet you at exit 14.

NCRider....do you still have your vstrom?  if your ankle is feeling up to it, that might work.  If you're feeling brave, my superhawk is sitting in the garage.  :beerchug:

NCRider said:
hey, pope, you still going to stop by to get your shield?

Was hoping to picking it up on my way back on Sunday, if that would be ok.
If so, what would be a good time? Or you could sit it outside somewhere if you wouldn't be home.

Now if you have a C14 to ride to the wrenching session, I can stop in on my way thru Friday and swap off my V-Stream for it. That way you can try out the V-Stream on your ride to/from the session.

Either way, just let me know.

Sunday is fine.  Any time.  No big plans.  not likely to have a Connie by then or maybe not at all.  thinking of going smaller.

mf-rabbit said:
Hey Stevej yall have Bojangles down there don't ya?

Roger

Yup, they just built a new one near me on US441 at about the Leesburg/Tavares border.

well, got a new repair to do next weekend.  Walked out in the garage today and found a puddle under The rear of the front fender.  Seems my right fork seal decided to give out on me.  :mad:

weather forecast is NOT cooperating!  I hope it changes before the weekend.  Reminds me of the wrench session at my place last year.  Still had brave souls that weathered the storm to attend!

2000 (Kim), 2003 (Marty), 2005 (Dave), 2006 (Tom), 2008 (Sammie) and 2011 (THE Pope!)

Attachments

• 100_8816.JPG
    100_8816.JPG
    84 KB · Views: 93
Ranger Jim,

I am a new member in Columbia. I would love to come to the wrench session but may need your help just to get on the road.

Thanks,

Gamecock

I'll be camping @Sadler's Creek State Park Friday and Saturday.  That pretty much guarantees rain for the weekend...

This one is in the bag. We had 9 riders (8 C10, 1 C14) and performed many different services.

The weather started out pretty lousy but the rain finally relented and a great time was had by all present.

Services performed included two valve adj. two fork oil replacements (one fork got new springs as well), a fork seal replacement on a ZX14 fork that's mated to a C10, one oil change, tail light bulb replacement (both bulbs), one rear brake pad replacement, one front master cylinder rebuild, Fluid replacement in one front brake system and one clutch.

Lane prepared a splendid repast of smoked chicken, pulled pork and smoked brats along with baked beans, slaw and potato salad.  :great:

We had attendees from NC, SC, and TN. We did have one rider who had to bring his bike in via trailer as he'd broken a foot peg (CDA pending) and the replacement is back ordered.  :-[

A very successful and enjoyable get together. Thanks to all who attended!  :)

Attachments

• DSC04426.JPG
    DSC04426.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 118
  • DSC04431.JPG
    DSC04431.JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 123
  • DSC04437.JPG
    DSC04437.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 132
Jim and Lane, thanks so much for hosting today.  It was great to meet some new fellow concours riders.  Just a little correction, the front end is a zrx1100, not a zx14.  You're gonna have some of the guys on the forum drooling!  :great:

First wrenching session,had a great time food and area was top notch Hats off to Lane and Jim I wouldn't hesitate to go again,met a lot of great people :)) Thanks again can't wait to see some of you at rwtw.

Roger

Yes! I road down Friday and Jim allowed me to bunk at his place. Thanks Jim.

Lane, Thank-you so much for hosting this and the awesome food!!!!!

As the lonely C14 rider, (yes, that's me in the day glow tee in the photo Jim posted) I did feel a little outnumbered and my lack of C10 knowledge did show, but I'm a quick learner. Gladly I was able to assist with some of the work. But what I feel that the guys will remember me for the most is my "play on words". Just trying to things lively (wink! wink!)

I almost adjusted all the valves without blood letting.  That bloody knuckle was suffered on the last exhaust valve in the motor... ::)

It was a great time with some great people.  Special kudos to Lane and Jim for setting this up!

Jerry

A few more photos from our wrench session:

Attachments

• DSC04433.JPG
    DSC04433.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 111
  • DSC04432.JPG
    DSC04432.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 114
  • DSC04427.JPG
    DSC04427.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 108
And a few more:

Attachments

• DSC04429.JPG
    DSC04429.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 110
  • DSC04434.JPG
    DSC04434.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 100
  • DSC04435.JPG
    DSC04435.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 99
Lane, thanks for opening up your home for the wrenching session!

:You_Rock_Emoticon:
Shows that COG members do help others have more fun,
and that if is so much more than just an online forum!

:clap:

I was working on them!!!!! Here you go!

Attachments

• 2013-03-23_10-18-56_86.jpg
    2013-03-23_10-18-56_86.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 101
  • 2013-03-23_09-11-43_775.jpg
    2013-03-23_09-11-43_775.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 106
more.....

Attachments

• 2013-03-23_10-19-23_883.jpg
    2013-03-23_10-19-23_883.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 92
  • 2013-03-23_10-50-49_707.jpg
    2013-03-23_10-50-49_707.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 103
  • 2013-03-23_10-51-15_394.jpg
    2013-03-23_10-51-15_394.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 95
and more....

Attachments

• 2013-03-23_11-17-15_460.jpg
    2013-03-23_11-17-15_460.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 108
  • 2013-03-23_11-16-55_681.jpg
    2013-03-23_11-16-55_681.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 100
  • 2013-03-23_11-16-21_891.jpg
    2013-03-23_11-16-21_891.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 97
Thanks Pope!  I was just giving you a hard time, but I guess the timing was just right!  :beerchug:

Have you ever seen a nicer pair of rear ends on a woman than these?  :))

Attachments

• 2013-03-23_10-51-15_394.jpg
    2013-03-23_10-51-15_394.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 106
Sport Rider said:
Thanks Pope!  I was just giving you a hard time, but I guess the timing was just right!  :beerchug:

I shall refrain from voicing any "Junk in the trunk" biases... ::)

JB in SC said:
Sport Rider said:

Did you mean this......

Attachments

• 2013-03-23_10-57-51_595.jpg
    2013-03-23_10-57-51_595.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 97
yep, she definitely had a lot of junk in her trunk!  :)

Did the picture of me holding the giant crescent wrench turn out?  :-\

The Pope said:
JB in SC said:

Did you mean this......

My GIVI had 4 quarts anti-freeze, 1 quart hypoid oil, 1 quart fork oil, 1 pint DOT4, shop manual, etc. 

The earliest female advice my Dad ever gave me was about women with too much junk in the trunk.  "It'll only get worse" he said... ;D

probably not. 

and it is a Ninja 1000, which BY THE WAY is rated by the insurance company as a dangerous machine when the Concours was NOT.  THANKS Kawasaki for making my f-ing insurance triple. :mad:

Prime time to upgrade those forks again!  ;)
You can get you a brand new set that's attached to a new C14 and be all done with that leeking fork issue! :great:

Next time we schedule a wrench session, could we make it two weekends back to back?  that way I can do my repairs, and then have an opportunity to re-do them to get it right!  :mad:  :-[

Fork seals are all better.  Rode about 200 miles yesterday.  :great:

Now I gotta replace my front rotors and brakes.  Pulsing badly.  tried cleaning calipers to no avail.  400 bucks for rotors and pads.  :-\