• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Scorpion EXO-GT3000?

bajakirch

Crotch Rocket
I'm considering getting a new helmet and ran across this new model on the Motorcyclegear.com site:
EXO-GT3000

Looks like a new model...anyone have experience with them?

Here's my situation -- I've had a Scorpion EXO-900 modular for 3 years now. it was definitely a step up from the way-too-old Shoei I used for my first couple years of riding.

My likes:
- Modular works for me, especially because I often ride with ear buds in to listen to music or podcasts, and just about every FF helmet I've tried on causes the buds to fall out when I put it on.
- Love, love, love the internal drop-down sun visor. I will not own another helmet without this feature.
- Price: I picked mine up for around $280.
- Fit is good for my head.

My quibbles:
- It's loud -- I often have to turn my volume up to almost full volume to overcome the wind noise...and that's WITH the $100 set of Shure earbuds I picked up this year.
- It's hot -- airflow, even with all 3 vents (chin, top, exhaust) open, is modest at best. I'm a big heat-weenie, so I'm constantly looking for ways to cool down when temps get over 80.
- Finish is pretty meh. Scratches started showing up in the paint within a week or so of use. A plastic rivet on the back of the helmet busted within the first few months I had it. I think I'm on my third set of the plastic devices that hold the chin bar up...and I noticed the other day that the current ones are getting weak now.

I'd love to get myself a Shoei Neotec, but $500 is stratospherically out of my budget. The GT3000, priced for around $360, is more do-able. And there is still the updated version of what I already have, the EXO-900X, with a slimmer profile, allegedly better venting, and a price-tag in the low $200s.

I'm open to any commentary or thoughts...