• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Screw loose - bar end weight

I have a screw loose (don't we all). A few months ago I replaced the standard grips with murph's (love them) and I replaced the bar end weights (not murph's). I noticed that my right screw that holds the end weight in was falling and slipping out. I have read elsewhere that Kawasaki has had problems with their screws and especially the threads. I recently discovered that my (months ago) cheap fix did not hold. I used locktight in the bar and on the threads and then used the allan wrench to put the screw in to make it stay. Worked for 3 months....luckily I caught on before it fell off the Bike and put someone behind me in danger. pulled over and pulled the screw out after an unsuccessful attempt to put it back in.... I have attempted to rethread the thread with a tool and die kit and that did not take, I atttempted my last effort with locktite and that did not take. So what now? Anyone else with a screw loose? 98 Windsor Green Connie 13k COG #8566 AMA #1084059

Seems un-usual that the locktite did not work. I would try again, after making sure the threads are clean with acetone I have never had mine come loose but then my vibes are way lower than the average scoot. Colin Prior COG IT Director Lake Forest Park WA COG#7767 AMA#1081764 ROK#20000617
2606714340100596652OGFlOW_th.jpg

I've lost that little cover that goes over the coolant jug, behind the wheel from that. Also one screw out of the black peice between the gas tank and the fairing. Hmmm... I've put a lot of miles on in a short amount of time and should've been checking them. I've since checked them but they were all still tight. Wierd! Perhaps it was the gremlins. I guess it wouldn't hurt to use some locktight.

I had a neighbor look it over and he suggested LOCKTIGHT BLUE. Til this I had no idea that Locktight made so many differnt kinds. Put the Locktight Blue on, in and around the Screw. Warmed it up- screwed in place. Let sit over night and wahlah - no problem. Been fixed for sometime just forgot to post it here. Thanks everyone- I guess we should be more specific when using the term Locktight 98 Windsor Green Connie "Nicodemus" 17k COG #8566 AMA #1084059 CDA #0308