• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

SE Region Beat The Summer Heat Rally 2018

chamberlincalls said:
What are the references to tenting and walking in?  Bikes not allowed in tent area?  thanks

Not sure what that means but last time I was there you could park next to your tent.  Maybe chef ngk in before you set up

COGnosticator said:
Shawn said:
Was hoping to leave wed. morning, but it looks like thurs. morning. :mad:

With the need to slab it now, I was hoping to avoid 75/Atlanta.  Never done the 95N>26>40>23 route to Robbinsville.  I was hoping some of you SC (and SE) guys/gals could provide some feedback on 26>40>23...gas stops, exits/towns to avoid, traps, construction, critters, etc.  Thanks a bunch.

I did the 95/26/43 a couple weeks ago going to the Blue Ridge MC campground.  It was fast and smooth, but as with any interstate there is always the chance of traffic problems, especially I95.  I left out of Savannah and going and coming back no problems.  I would do it again if I had to.

Keep in mind, I left Savannah at 5:00 am

Thanks Jerry, that's what I was hoping to hear. ;D

Well after my mishap, i loaded the bike then headed home about 9:30 eastern time and made it home about 2 am central time. I still had a great time. Thanks to Dave and the rest of the crew. I hope for a speedy recovery for Tim.

To bring everyone up to speed on this, I had a bit of a mishap which resulted in the loss of my bike and a broken wrist and ankle on the left side. But other than that I’m quite well and just wanted to convey my heartfelt gratitude to everyone for the care I was given after getting back to the Ironhorse. A special thanks to Dave Scott for coming to the hospital in Brevard to collect my ass and Jim Culp for tending to me awaiting my ride. Cliff, Randy, Mark, Glenn, Bill and all the others, it about brought a tear to me eye.
And my very special thanks to my son, Alex who rode home in the dark back to Clarksville with no GPS, tools, plugs, nothin but gas in the tank and air in the tires to retrieve the truck and trailer. A proud Daddy moment for sure and the cavalry is coming, Thank you all!

Twas a good rally, all in all, with a few mishaps and lots of fun. I'm sorry Tim and Glen had the mishaps, but the response to them was pure COG. Hope you heal fast Tim and Glen-good luck with a quick repair.

Way to go, guys and gals!

Many thanks to David Scott and the other AD's and members.  I think I'll sign up for next year.  ;)

Ron

I'm proud of cog and the help i received even if was just a minor mishap. Bill my phone didn't save your number, so when you get a chance call me about the side plate. Thank you everyone!

So, the wallet saga. When we arrived, I checked in, had my wallet, went thru rally central and greeted my COG friends and family. Went to my camp site, put my wallet on the picnic table along with our jackets and helmets. proceeded to set up our camper and get situated. Once set up, we stated "socializing" around our picnic table. Many of our COG'ers were there hanging out, having a good time. By 11pm we all had dispersed, I went into my camper and did the pocket check for my phone and wallet but no wallet. Went back out to the table and no wallet. Spent the next two hours looking for the wallet, no wallet. Did not sleep well and when we got up the next morning, we looked thru everything in  our camper, bike and our campsite, no wallet.

I asked several peopole that were at our campsite and they all remembered seeing it on the picnic table. Surely none of my COG friends would take my wallet, right??

Luckily, my better half was with, and she had her debit card so we were able to get lunch, cash and fuel on Saturday when we went out riding. Checked with the office, no wallet and no else had seen it.

Well, Saturday evening about 11pm, one of my good COG friends, came to our site, he had my wallet. Apparently, when we were socializing the night before, he had picked it up thinking it was his. Now, to his defense, he had over "socialized" Friday night and we had to assist him back to his tent. So, I don't blame him as I feel it was not intentional. He was sorting out his gear in his tent Saturday evening and located my wallet in his gear bivvy.

It is kind of funny now, but at the time, I was stressing as there were several IDs, credit cards and other items I would need to get replaced.

So another one for the books on the saga of the missing wallet!!

Kurt failed to mention that, on Saturday morning, he specifically asked said member if perchance his wallet was in said member's tent. Member denied any knowledge or recollection of the wallet.  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :beerchug: :beerchug:

Tinsailor said:
To bring everyone up to speed on this, I had a bit of a mishap which resulted in the loss of my bike and a broken wrist and ankle on the left side. But other than that I’m quite well and just wanted to convey my heartfelt gratitude to everyone for the care I was given after getting back to the Ironhorse. A special thanks to Dave Scott for coming to the hospital in Brevard to collect my a** and Jim Culp for tending to me awaiting my ride. Cliff, Randy, Mark, Glenn, Bill and all the others, it about brought a tear to me eye.
And my very special thanks to my son, Alex who rode home in the dark back to Clarksville with no GPS, tools, plugs, nothin but gas in the tank and air in the tires to retrieve the truck and trailer. A proud Daddy moment for sure and the cavalry is coming, Thank you all!

Oh wow!  I'm sorry for your mishap.  COG people are the best.  I'm glad the guys were there to help and that your son was able to make it home safely and back for you.  Rest and heal

Irene

Ranger Jim said:
Kurt failed to mention that, on Saturday morning, he specifically asked said member if perchance his wallet was in said member's tent. Member denied any knowledge or recollection of the wallet.  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :beerchug: :beerchug:

:)) :)) :))

Irene

chamberlincalls said:
What are the references to tenting and walking in?  Bikes not allowed in tent area?  thanks

"Walk in" meant as in "not pre-registered." Like "I just 'walked into the rally and then I wanted to camp.'" Sorry to miss this question. Too late now.

Good time, and thanks again Dave for organizing the event, and playing ambulance driver for Tim.

Year 2 was well-attended, and the comment I heard from the peanut gallery was "this place is unusually NICE for a COG event".  :))

Looking forward to RWTW in Suches!

**Glenn -- I have to admit, I'm one of the a*holes that road-by you on the Cherohala, and waved as I went-by!  ::)  Then I passed Mike at the bottom of the Parkway trying to get a signal on his phone to call the tow -- I waved at him as well!
Naturally, I didn't know ANY of this until later, when Mike explained what was happening. **

I feel just a little bad for you, because I also heard your tire was well-worn before the trip.  :rotflmao:

gr

I had had a great time once again. With participation increased by 8 times last years head count that speaks volumes. Keep up the good work Dave!  :)

Heal quick Tim, glad it wasn't any worse than it was. Bikes are easily replaceable.

See y'all there next year!  :motonoises:

Cliff  :beerchug: 

What another great COG rally!!  My first time at Iron Horse couldn’t have been better (except to hear about Tim, Glenn and Kurt’s mishaps).  The weather held out, riding was pristine, sleeping temps were darn near perfect, food was great, staff was awesome, and the COG folks (old and new) are simply some of the coolest peeps you could ever hope to find.  And it all evolves around BIKES and RIDING, what could be better?  Let me answer that, ‘a rally without mishaps’, but we know better.

Dave, thanks so much to you and the rally team for putting it together!  Also, thanks for the welcome, direction and beer when I rolled in thurs. night.  It is much appreciated!

Tim, heal up quick and I hope to see you at the Wolf (bike or no bike).  Helping get you in the tent sat. night was one small testament to the fine folks of COG.  Prolly shouldn’t use this mantra, but there really aren’t ‘any COGgers left behind’.

Glenn, sorry about your mishap, another testament…helping load Connie on to the pickup.  Never a lack of brains, muscles and hands with COG folks.

Kurt, so happy to hear your wallet was ‘recovered’ with everything intact.  That is one annoyance to me…keeping track of all your crap at the campground.

Ron, funny thing…I just hit Home on the GPS (fastest route) and it took me exactly the way you talked about sat. night…28>441>85>75.  Nice ride until I got to 75 (see my ‘right lane runners’ post later today).  :mad:    I covered a number of the riding conditions on the way home.

Although it wasn’t nearly the miles some COGgers put in to get to rallies, I am a little proud to have gotten the distance award. ;D

Thanks to everyone for being there and making it a real good time.  Can’t wait for Wolf and Barber! :great:

My complements to Dave, Denise and the rest of the team that helped put the rally together.
My wife and I greatly enjoyed the company of all of the COG characters.
The weather and roads were excellent for our total 800 logged miles.
We hope everyone made it home safely.
Tim, we were so sorry to hear of your accident, we hope you heal up quickly.

Got back home to find our Barber Vintage Festival passes in the mail box.
See you all again in Oct.  :beerchug:

Great Rally with a job well done to David and Denise! Had a great time, albeit only one day, riding in the tristate area mountains. It was tough chasing the 14's thru the mountains, but I gave it my best. I do need to talk to Steve about making all these C14's faster...

Like Shawn, I rolled the 28,441,85 on the way out. Nice to finish the riding with the Moonshiner. Bike got a good rinse near home with two major storm systems to roll thru. Not scared of rain in any quantity, but multiple lightning strikes in close proximity tend to alarm me.

Wish Tim a quick recovery and see y'all in Suches.

There mostly for the camaraderie, it was (and always is) great to hang out with
COG 'folk'.  Sue and I had a wonderful time.  Sad not to have my Connie with me,
but I still shredded some serious rubber in the Fiesta ST tearing up the Cherahola
Skyway and the Tail of the Dragon on Saturday.  >:D

Four new tires on order...  ::)

Kurt... good news 'bout the wallet'.  :great:

Got in at 8 PM Sunday evening, after a 9:30am departure from Robbinsville.
We took I26 to I95 for a one delay return home (SC/GA Border crawl).  Sue
wasn't happy with me taking SR129 South after Saturday....  I don't know why...

Thanks to the South East team for putting this together... Great venue, great time.  :)

Hope to be on two wheels for RWTW.  :great:

just got in this evening, stopped thru nashville late sunday for a visit with my brother. so i took a few detours on the way in.  this was my first event back riding since my little mishap at work and the 2 major and one minor surgeries  to get me back to riding condition and it couldnt have been better.  thanks to everyone who helped organize and pull off a great rally.  yall have no idea how pleased i was to be able to spend time with this group. its been nearly 2 years worth of surgery and rehab to get back. seeing everyone there as i rode up made me as happy as i have been in that time.

and the bit with the wallet was priceless, you literally cant plan stuff like that and the fact neither one could remember a thing about it made it even funnier.  kurt because he was preoccupied  and the other wouldnt have remembered a meteor strike. i feel bad for him, you know theres gonna be 40 wallets laying all over camp at the wolf.

Max said:
and the bit with the wallet was priceless, you literally cant plan stuff like that and the fact neither one could remember a thing about it made it even funnier.  kurt because he was preoccupied  and the other wouldnt have remembered a meteor strike. i feel bad for him, you know theres gonna be 40 wallets laying all over camp at the wolf.

Lesson learned. I'm usually good about securing my wallet and phone but something about being at IH and around my COG friends relaxed my to the point I was not concerned about it.

It also got me thinking that I should keep some cash and a credit card stashed some where on the bike for emergencys. Also scan my important documents like drivers licence, insurance cards, credit cards, etc.

So my take away from it is to be more security conscience and prepared.

MotoCommuter said:
Max said:

Lesson learned. I'm usually good about securing my wallet and phone but something about being at IH and around my COG friends relaxed my to the point I was not concerned about it.

It also got me thinking that I should keep some cash and a credit card stashed some where on the bike for emergencys. Also scan my important documents like drivers licence, insurance cards, credit cards, etc.

So my take away from it is to be more security conscience and prepared.

Men-s-Crocodile-biker-Motorcycle-long-Leather-Wallet-With-Long-Jeans-Key-Chain-92.jpg

:)) Just Kidding!

Another solution would be to not allow the responsible (I use that term loosely  ;D) member within 50 feet of your campsite.  :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Just realizing, albeit late, that I missed this event. Couldn't have come on the Connie anyway with rear diff in shop now 6 weeks. Will be hoping to get it back before NEXT years rally! Anyone know a good shop that won't take MONTHS to replace two seals in a final drive - within 100 miles of Greenville SC? Rrrrr.

Sounds like good times had by all. Where's the pics??? I'm all about the voyeurism.  :))

Mike

Bugnut said:
Just realizing, albeit late, that I missed this event. Couldn't have come on the Connie anyway with rear diff in shop now 6 weeks. Will be hoping to get it back before NEXT years rally! Anyone know a good shop that won't take MONTHS to replace two seals in a final drive - within 100 miles of Greenville SC? Rrrrr.

Sounds like good times had by all. Where's the pics??? I'm all about the voyeurism.  :))

Mike
Ufda. Thought about a used final drive?

On TDY near Buena Vista Co

Bugnut said:

Mike

Check with Bill Goff, I believe he is parting out his old C14 that was totaled.