• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

seat mods/cutting down.

insane14

Tricycle
how much can you really  take out of the seat 2 or 3inch ,need 2inch so i can touch the ground ,or would it be better to get a corbin.
?

It's  hard to say. Everybody is different. The more foam you cut out, the less cushioning you'll have. Some have replaced foam, had the seat modified and such.  Some have liked the results, some did not. So it would be a gamble, as is buying any seat. You don't normally know how you like a seat, until you actually try one for a while.
Corbin uses a much firmer foam to support you. But some find it a little hard. I went with a Heated Corbin with an Alaskan sheep skin over it. I found it to be a great combination for me.

If you cut it down yourself:
Remove cover and original foam.(Be careful with the foam as not to tear it. you can always go back to the stock seat.)Use some contact cement to stack a few layers (4-5) of "carpet pad" on the seat pan. Shave it down with a large bread knife to get it close to the shape wanted, then CAREFULLY use an angle grinder with a grinding wheel to smooth out the edges. Stretch the original cover tightly over the new padding, work out the wrinkles, and secure it to the bottom edge of the pan with small #4 x 1/4 screws and washers. Or, you could use some more contact cement to secure the cover around the edge. If you use the screw method, make sure you let the padding overlap the edge where the screws will come through.
By all means I take no responsibility how this comes out, but I can tell you that you can get good results if you take your time. If you don't like the way it feels, you can always shave or add more padding, or just put the stock foam back on it.

Just cutting down the foam does not really help if you have short legs (like me).  The problem is the width of the seat pan itself.  It forces your thighs apart, causing you to lose even more leg reach.  A taller / longer legged person wont experience this as much, meaning a person just a inch or two taller will have a much easier time reaching the ground than you, if you take an inch or two out of the seat pad.

To test this for yourself, stand the bike upright, and see how much the seat pushes on the upper inside part of your thigh.  Notice how much if forces your knees to bend, or pushes your feet away from the bike.  Next, scoot yourself as close the tank as you can, and see what the difference is.  When you are as close to tank as you can get, the seat pan is at it's narrowest point, but the height of the pad portion will not be much different.

Riding boots with thick soles are the easiest solution.  A custom seat that addresses the width of the seat pan is another (more expensive) option.  Suspension mods (not really recommended) are another solution.

I have adapted myself to ride the C14, but I'm always on guard of the ground surface and slope when stopping, and have never tried to carry a passenger.  Adding some form of tip over protection will also add some piece of mind.  ;)

Spencer's seat mod - very reasonable price, works GREAT! Also cut about 3/4" off ride heighth.

Take the seat off and put a couple of mouse pads on the bike, then sit on it and realize that that is much better than
any seat is going to get as far as lowering. If that is still not good enough then get thicker soles like domo and C1xRider suggested.
Doing the above experiment made me realize that spending money at special lowering seats was going to leave me disappointed and poorer.
I do plan on getting a Russel this coming winter but that has more to do with sitting comfort than stopping leg reach.

Wouldn't be great if they made clip-on platform boot soles with a notch in the middle so the foot pegs wouldn't need to be lowered?  :-[

No? Well how about this, a special seat that is mouse pad thin until the speed is above 5mph then becomes 3 inches thick by a sliding foam
wedge underneath that comes forward automatically from under the passenger section.

I wish someone would start to manufacture some of the crap I dream up.  ::)

The link below has some specific guidance to modding your seat.  I followed some of the procedures, made a few up myself and actually got the seat to where it was so much better than stock.  Learned about foam at a foam distributor.  Probably cut, shaped, fitted seat a dozen times to get it where it was decent.  I found using Velcro to hold seat cover in place useful while working through the mods, easy on/off, secure for riding.  Still ended up aftermarket, which was better than my work, but enjoyed the process along the way.  Of course, much of the original foam is long gone from the rider's seat, so likely that no aftermarket mods can be done now if you wanted to that route down the road

http://www.diymotorcycleseat.com/

insane1 said:
how much can you really  take out of the seat 2 or 3inch ,need 2inch so i can touch the ground ,or would it be better to get a corbin.
?

Corbin low cut with nose job!  :13:

One advantage to lowering the seat (sitting height) is it has the same effect as putting on a set of bar risers, and a taller windshield.

Insane 1

You know,... I'd really just love to be the one to solve your problem, cause I'm short sometimes... some ways...

You got me to thinking how a lot of us are guilty of not addressing "short" in like ways we get shy about "cancer".  Now, you're getting some real good advice from guys... but, you're saying three inches?  So I'm gonna quit dancing around here and ask, how tall are you, what's your inseam and what is your reach?  If you don't mind me asking.

I ground about 1" from the foam at the sits bones and it feels good, but I can't find two more inches in this bike without sinking the tripple down around the forks and letting most of the air out of the tires.  At that point I'm looking around, thinking... Heritage Classic?

Oh yeah, and I throw an Air Hawk on top which brings it back up a bit.

Sidebar:

Farmer goes over to Neil's barn, sees he's shoveling out a trench leading in through the big door, asks him what he's up to?
"Got a new mule that's taller'n what he looked", said Neil.
Farmer tells Neil the trench is gonna hold water and the hogs'll want to be in there all the time.  Tells Neil a better approach would be to make two cut-outs for the mule's ears in the siding above the door.

I am 5' 9", with a 29" inseam and ZG was gracious enough to meet and I sat on his bike, he has a Corbin with a nose job which cuts 1" on top and 1/2" on each side near the tank. Plus the seat is already an inch plus lower than the stck seat. When I sat on it, I immediately knew this was the seat for me, my feet were flat on the ground without leaning the bike and the seat pan was very comfortable. I change my order with Corbin and currently waiting on delivery. $498 without shipping!

Thanks ZG, I also bought the leather half bra $42, liked the Muzzy duals :beerchug:, but too expensive right now!
You rock brutha!

Dayrunner said:
I am 5' 9", with a 29" inseam and ZG was gracious enough to meet and I sat on his bike, he has a Corbin with a nose job which cuts 1" on top and 1/2" on each side near the tank. Plus the seat is already an inch plus lower than the stck seat. When I sat on it, I immediately knew this was the seat for me, my feet were flat on the ground without leaning the bike and the seat pan was very comfortable. I change my order with Corbin and currently waiting on delivery. $498 without shipping!

Thanks ZG, I also bought the leather half bra $42, liked the Muzzy duals :beerchug:, but too expensive right now!
You rock brutha!

No worries Bro! Happy that I could help you, keep us posted, I love being a pimp for future farkles...  8)  :)

So you only needed an inch... I should be so lucky!

If you send me your stock seat I'll fix it for you for free and send you a jar of my wife's Bradenton Mango Butter... you pay shipping.

domo said:
So you only needed an inch... I should be so lucky!

If you send me your stock seat I'll fix it for you for free and send you a jar of my wife's Bradenton Mango Butter... you pay shipping.

The 1 inch cut is off a "Corbin standard height", which a Corbin is already lower than the stock Kawi seat...