• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

SECOG Fall Rally/Natchez Trace Pkwy Ride

IronButtAl

*******http://www.thousandtrails.com/getaways/tennessee/natcheztrace.asp ***
Please use this link to get to the SECOG Fall Rally/Natchez Trace Pkwy campground map & info.
Please call the campground at 931-796-3212, ask for Jana, and mention you're with the COG group to get your discount. We have all of the 'tent camping' and cabins 5-10 reserved. We'll all be together in the same area.
Registration will be done through the SE calendar for September 14th date.
Email me for any issues or questions.      Al

As an update to the last post; COG discounts can be had by mentioning you ARE with COG. Tent camping is now $ 14.00 a night, and cabin price is $40.00 a night. $10.00 member registration , $14.00 camping = something everybody should be able to swing. Please reserve your overnight choice soon, especially if you're going to want a cabin.
When you book your cabin, please post on forum if you're looking to split a cabin with someone.    Al

I booked a cabin and would be happy to share it and split the costs with someone.  According to Al, there are 2 double beds.

Hi All, I will be making the trip to the Rally, but will be arriving on Sat midday.  If someone wants to share a cabin on Sat night, please let me know.  I don't snoor to loud. :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
wcfly9011@yahoo.com

Bob,
I plan to camp or I would be glad to share. See you there. I plan on arriving on Tuesday or Wed.

I have changed my phone numbers. 

Al,
You have a email.

Tom,
Thanks for the help with the email.

Pastor Tyler

Al, I've wanted to do a Natchez Trace COG Ride for years.
Unfortunately I can't make this one as I have another trip/cruise scheduled.

I tried to arrange aTrace ride myself years ago, but didn't work out.
Is a Trace Ride scheduled regularly?

Please let me know if the Ride is done again....

Ya'll enjoy the ride!
Ride safe, Ted

Ted, anyone in the SE could nave answered this one, but I just happen to be here.
This is the 1st time SECOG has done this ride. Now, that's not to say that we won't do it again, but with my interest in geographical diversity within the SE, it may not come back as our Fall Rally or at this time of year.
It would have been great to see you again, and we're hoping to pull in 50-60 riders for this event.
Thanks for all of your help at the national.    Al

OK, I give up, I've been staring at that site for 20 minutes trying to figure out where the link for the COG registration is, what does "old place card mean? The form was not in my current Concourier.

Strawboss said:
OK, I give up, I've been staring at that site for 20 minutes trying to figure out where the link for the COG registration is, what does "old place card mean? The form was not in my current Concourier.

Thank you, I thought I was the only one

I can't go, but I'll be watching for AARs from those who attend. I've been wanting to ride the Trace for years. I already have a line on one good BBQ joint and a campground from previous posts.

Ya'll have a great time but don't forget us "armchair" riders back home.  :beerchug:

COGnosticat0r said:
Strawboss said:

Thank you, I thought I was the only one
Strawboss said:

Hey guys,
Just checked the COG calendar and the Sept 14 link to the rally is up and running:
http://www.cog-online.org/clubportal//EventDisplayNew.cfm?clubID=1328&EventID=171347&mo=9&tDate=%7Bd%20%272012%2D09%2D05%27%7D

Let me know if it does not....

Your link works.
The link in the original post is to the campground, not to the event on the calender as implied (yeah, took me a day or so to figure that out, I think, still not sure?).

Tom's link above gets to the event sign-up on the calender where you can register. The "other" place card on the calender is not there anymore either, so scratch that reference?, just the one stop shopping to go to in order to register.  Whew,  I think that is right..... :motonoises:

Is there any good twistie type roads in the area?  I have ridden some of the Natchez Trace and  60 miles was all I could take.  I hate to say it, but it bored me

COGnosticat0r said:
Is there any good twistie type roads in the area?  I have ridden some of the Natchez Trace and  60 miles was all I could take.  I hate to say it, but it bored me

Southeast of the campground there are some pretty good roads.  Look on Google maps for Waterloo Alabama.  It's right on the Tennessee River.  County road 45 out of there is a great road for about 15 miles.  Also a good spot to eat at the Riverwalk Cafe. 

With over 35 COG members in Tennessee, maybe we'll get someone to answer that call.  Any of you Nashville Cats get down south to ride?
We'll have some good state maps available at the registration table. Doesn't help you much now.  Al

reid53 said:
Southeast of the campground there are some pretty good roads.  Look on Google maps for Waterloo Alabama.  It's right on the Tennessee River.  County road 45 out of there is a great road for about 15 miles.  Also a good spot to eat at the Riverwalk Cafe.

Hmmmm, if I ride that back and forth 10 times that would be a good day  :D  :))  Just kidding

In my case, I normally take the wife on rides that I like.
Twisties!!    (Normally ridden too fast for her comfort).

But I need to keep the Boss happy.

So, I had been looking at riding the Trace (so that she would enjoy the ride).
In other words, I want to keep her happy so I can go ride fast another time.

My thought had always been to ride up the Trace and end up at Nashville.
Take her to the Opry, and then ride home.

Hopefully I'll get to do it another time.
Ya'll have fun.
Remember,,,,,  Keep those wifes happy!

See ya on the Twisties.

Ride safe, Ted

I expect to make this. Not sure what exactly I need to do as far as "signing up." My last event I came as a guest to my father and paid all my fee's at the event. I don't think he will make this event, but considering I'm an hour from the campground it'd be silly for me to not come.

Dustin said:
I expect to make this. Not sure what exactly I need to do as far as "signing up." My last event I came as a guest to my father and paid all my fee's at the event. I don't think he will make this event, but considering I'm an hour from the campground it'd be silly for me to not come.

Use the link below to get to the registration page or go to www.cog-online.org and look up the calendar of events for all of the Southeast region during the year. The link to this event appears on Sept. 14th.

The link:  http://www.cog-online.org/clubportal//EventDisplayNew.cfm?clubID=1328&EventID=171347&mo=9&tDate=%7Bd%20%272012%2D09%2D06%27%7D

COGnosticat0r said:

We can ride east through Fall Creek Falls SP and head over to Tellico on Hwy 30, ride the Skyway and then head back on on 39 and 30 towards the campground.  That will make for a good day!

Moto2wheelin said:
We can ride east through Fall Creek Falls SP and head over to Tellico on Hwy 30, ride the Skyway and then head back on on 39 and 30 towards the campground.  That will make for a good day!

That would make for one hell of a day  :eek:

COGnosticat0r said:
...  I have ridden some of the Natchez Trace and  60 miles was all I could take.  I hate to say it, but it bored me

I lasted ~40.  ::) Tho it'd prolly be mo betta if I stopped & read the hysterical signs.

Paulie said:
COGnosticat0r said:
...  I have ridden some of the Natchez Trace and  60 miles was all I could take.  I hate to say it, but it bored me

I lasted ~40.  ::) Tho it'd prolly be mo betta if I stopped & read the hysterical signs.

Now Paulie,,, (stop funnin' the COG) everyone here knows you cain't read.

Ride safe, Ted

The route to and from will be fun - got a BBQ stop and a visit to Jack Daniels distillery en route as well as a twisty or two.  That's way all roads SHOULD lead to Rome...  :D

I know a lot of people need to leave Sunday, I'm thinking of staying and riding another day and leaving Monday, anybody else leaving Monday?

I don't have to work till Wednesday, and arriving later Thursday I figured I'd like to ride more than just one day and leave Monday. OK.

Dave, we could find a place to shoot, or head up to a couple of friends of mine in Nashville who are sport bike riders and kick around with them. Bet they could show us some good local roads.    Al

There are grills everywhere and Ty Pigott is bringing a two burner camp stove. The plan will be to have a hot dog & hamburger night Friday. This will be a low cost ( maybe a couple of bucks each ) supper for everyone arriving Friday sometime. Beans would be a good fit with this also. All meals are available onsite, but I know we all like to save money when we can. If anyone has another idea for extra meals during the rally, please bring it up here.          Al

If you got some beans, we could have a campfire and it'll be just like the campfire scene in "Blazing Saddles"

Just completed registration.  Planning on being there Thursday afternoonish.  Good times a comin!! :beerchug: :motonoises:

I've noticed that registration for the SE Region Fall Rally (AKA: SERFR, pronounced Surfer) at Hohenwald, TN is a bit low thus far. Hopefully that's just due to the heat. The rally is going to be along the historic Natchez Trace Parkway and I'm told there are numerous twisty roads in the area surrounding the rally site. Additionally, the site is close to Nashville, the Jack Daniels distillery, the George ****el distillery (my preferred brand), and other points of interest. Here's the opportunity for members and prospective members from Mississippi, Alabama, and western Tennessee to get together with others from the SE (and other) regions to ride, swap stories, compare bikes and otherwise hang out. Camping costs are very reasonable and cabins are available for those who prefer them. You don't want to miss the fellowship so start making the plans to come.  :motonoises: :great:

Knew about the Jack Daniel distillery location in Lynchburg, but had forgotten/did not realize George ****el was in the area as well.  How's about a loop ride to visit both locations while at the Fall Rally?

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=214814616566555658626.0004c7b3724da16f3a672

Full disclaimer: I know nothing about the roads and its been years since my last visit to Lynchburg. My last visit was on a weekender with my wife after leaving our oldest with the grandparents. Our youngest son is now 19 years old...  :))

Hi All,
Trying to get some info on the Cabins.  I have to wait until tomorrow to call since the office is closed Sun and Mon.  Either way Anita and I should be there.  Haven't registered yet but i will soon.

Bobby

I'll be riding over from central Arkansas on Thurs. & bringing 1 non camping guest. I haven't had any luck today getting someone to answer the the phone for cabin info. or returning my call. Will  hopefully get that squared away tomorrow & get registered. Looking forward to it, ought to be fun!

Cliff  :beerchug:

IronButtAl said:
There are grills everywhere and Ty Pigott is bringing a two burner camp stove. The plan will be to have a hot dog & hamburger night Friday. This will be a low cost ( maybe a couple of bucks each ) supper for everyone arriving Friday sometime. Beans would be a good fit with this also. All meals are available onsite, but I know we all like to save money when we can. If anyone has another idea for extra meals during the rally, please bring it up here.          Al

I’m wondering if we could cook up some interest in a hot sauce ‘taste-off’ by asking folks to bring their favorite/hottest sauce and letting others try them out on their beans to see which is the “best”.  The downside is the potential for free musical accompaniment around the campfire….

Nice idea Tom. I propose we also have a Bourbon taste test and a cigar comparison also. Seriously, I have the hottest stuff made by a local/loco Mexican friend. I can run a model airplane off the stuff.        Al

FYI.  I have a little more info for those looking for a cabin.  The Standard Cabin is regulary $50/night and we are getting them for $40/night for the entire cabin(sleeps 4).  The  Lake front cabins are $5 more(sleeps 4).  There is also a 2 bedroom cabin that sleeps 8 for $65 a night.  None of these comes with linens and/or a TV. 

The Deluxe cabins(sleeps 4) are $55 discounted rate and include linens and a TV. Then there is a Premium cabin that sleeps 6 for $120 and a lodge that sleeps 14 for $250 a night.  I dont know the discount rate for the previous 2.
All cabins include a bathroom/shower and a small kitchen area.

There is more info and photos at http://www.campntwp.com/rates.htm

Bobby

I just reserved a cabin & they do come with linens, I specifically asked. But they encourage you to bring extra towels. They will not provide them if you need them for whatever reason.

Cliff  :beerchug:

Cliff & everyone else coming, don't forget to register for this event, and please take the time to make sure you get the BBQ option included. I don't really want to have to handle money, and since this is a pre registered event, that shouldn't happen. There's already one rider that didn't get the BBQ paid online, we'll work through that ok, as long as there isn't a flood of this happening. Thanks for your understanding........Al

Ok, I'm in. Signed up and have a cabin.

Didn't we all vote at RWTW to see who was providing the keg for the Fall Rally, I believe Tom won by an over whelming margin.  :beerchug:

Kurt

Excuze me, but I thought you and Lane were serving as apprentices at the Spring Rally in order to step up and assume the full roles and responsibilities that come with the title of Kegmeister...at least that's why I promoted it so heavily in the write-up  :) :great: :great: :great:

Volcantour said:
Knew about the Jack Daniel distillery location in Lynchburg, but had forgotten/did not realize George ****el was in the area as well.  How's about a loop ride to visit both locations while at the Fall Rally?

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=214814616566555658626.0004c7b3724da16f3a672

Full disclaimer: I know nothing about the roads and its been years since my last visit to Lynchburg. My last visit was on a weekender with my wife after leaving our oldest with the grandparents. Our youngest son is now 19 years old...  :))

Tom, your google map did not come up. I'd be interested in this loop. Hohenwald to

George A. ****el & Co., 1950 Cascade Hollow Road Tullahoma, TN 37380‎
to
Jack Daniel Distillery, 280 Lynchburg Highway Lynchburg, TN 37352‎
to
Prichard's Distillery Inc, 11 Kelso-Smithland Rd Kelso, TN 37348‎
to
Hohenwald

is about 205 miles and about 5 hours, according to google map. My cousin lives near Henry Horton SP, I'll give him a shout to see what roads he would recommend. He has a connie and would probably lead us around if he isn't working. Let  me know what you all think.

Kurt

Oops, my bad. Forgot to mention the Map reference needs a firm commitment from you to buy the keg first before unlocking the link  ;)

Am open to the suggested stops.  Probably need to think about doing the trip on Friday, as the hosts have an open house and other events planned for Saturday. Oh, and the JD stop is in a dry county, so no partaking of the fruits of their labors while on-site. Don't know about the other sites mentioned.  And, if you have any sinus issues, a deep whiff of the bubbling vat will cure what ails ye -  DAMHIK

With a slightly different location for Jack Daniels I get a Google map showing 193 miles and 4.5 hours travel time. Eminently do-able.

Having done the whole Bourbon tour, if I had to pick one now, it would be the Jack Daniels tour. Thought it was the best and had the most samples to try out.      Al

BED WANTED: If anyone needs a someone to share expenses on a cabin Thurs.thru Sat. , I can be that guy. I'm a non drinker and a non smoker but
have been known to fart  occasionally.
Tony Koenen          tokoemo@att.net    636 583 9789

Both the George ****el and Jack Daniels distilleries are in dry counties = no tasting room(s). You can, however, purchase a "commenerative" bottle (which just happens to be full of product) at both locations.  :great:

Thanks for straightening that out for me Jim. Must have been sleeping in class again. The tour was great though. After having to pace ourselves in the other six distilleries to get to the next tour, I found myself thinking it would have been better to have done it all with another day involved.      Al

Locations and tour info:

Jack Daniels distillery:  http://goo.gl/maps/GIP5X
182 Lynchburg Hwy
Lynchburg, Moore County, TN 37352Tours 9:00 - 4:30 CST (what's a CST, Ty? ???),
extra charge gets you a take-home liquid souvenir

George ****el distillery:  http://goo.gl/maps/5tZ1H
1950 Cascade Hollow Road
Tullahoma, TN 37380
Tours: Tuesday through Saturday 9 am - 4 pm except major holidays
Last tour starts at 3:30 pm
Call for more information at (931) 857-4110

From conversation with a lot of riders, many are thinking or on the fence with this ride. Please consider registration now, and if things don't work out for whatever reason, you can always cancel and get a refund. We'd like to know how many will be there for the BBQ. You'll feel bad missing this event.    Al

The middle Tennessee area is a fun one to ride. Rolling hills and rural landscapes are among my favorites. Not the most twisty routes, but not arrow straight, either!

Rally Masters,

Is there a schedule of events listed some where? I've seen it mentioned that there are a couple things planned on Saturday. I know about the BBQ dinner but what else?

Kurt

I have a cabin for Friday and Saturday if anyone is interested please email me direct as I am not always up to speed on the forum.

Bob Sherwood is looking to share a cabin for Fri.& Sat.. Here's a chance to meet one of the best in COG....and save some money.      Al

MotoCommuter said:
Rally Masters,

Is there a schedule of events listed some where? I've seen it mentioned that there are a couple things planned on Saturday. I know about the BBQ dinner but what else?

Kurt

Got this from Jack McVickers via email re Saturday:
the local kawasaki shop is going to have an open house for us on saturday and that night at the bbq (hosted nearby) a friend of mine who is a semi-professional muscian and his band will be playing for our group.he does a john denver tribute that is great, lots of old time rock and roll songs.
HTH. Till then

PS remember to save room on your bike to bring the keg...

Tom,

Thanks for the update. Regarding the keg, Lane and I cannot be trusted with the huge responsibility of being the kegmeister. We will continue to require supervision and guidance and as such cannot possibly provide the keg, so it falls back to the vote we took electing you to provide the keg. We appreciate your understanding and look forward to providing what ever assistance we can in emptying the keg.  :beerchug:

Since you are in such dire need of guidance :rotflmao:, feel free to ride over with Lane and I on Thursday.  :motonoises:
PM or email for details.

Time is winding down to be included in the BBQ on Saturday. Please register now, and if things don't work out, we'll refund your money.                  Al

Next Saturday, September 8th is the last day to be included in the BBQ being held on Saturday, September 15th. The BBQ people need our head count in preparation for buying food.    Al

Saturday, Sept.15th is a pretty ambitious day at our SECOG Fall Rally;
Noon time has us going to a Kawasaki dealership about 8 miles from the campground for a lunch & demo ride session. Around 6:00pm there is the on-site BBQ at the campground, followed by a band performing for us at the pavilion. We'll then have our night fire to make new and renew friendships.
Sounds like a fun day. Hope you're there with us.      Al

Al is both chief and chef :)

I just checked the 10 day forecast for Hohenwald and they are saying low 80's for highs and high 50's for lows. :great:

Pastor Tyler

I'm in! Work is slim so I've got a crap load of free time! Registering tonight. Haven't had time to read the whole thread - are some Floridiots rolling up on a certain day?

Mike

Ty,  that's just the forecast this Florida boy was looking for. It will be nice to feel a 50 something degree night. I talked to Jack last night, and he told me the good news regards the weather for the week
Mike, some of us are arriving on Wednesday, with a lot of riders coming in on Thursday. Glad you can make it buddy. We'll have fun....................  Al

Tom,

Looks like Prichard's Distillery is going to be your first stop, I can meet you all there. Approximately what time do you expect to be there?

Kurt

Haven't really discussed it thoroughly with anyone. Off the top of my head (suspect territory, there!) I would estimate leaving out from the campground about 9 which puts us at the first stop sometime before 11 AM.  Don't know if the group would prefer to eat before or after the Prichard's tour.  If we left around 8:30, we could do the tour then look for food between Prichard's and Lynchburg.

Plans would obviously benefit from some input....

In any case, I plan to give you a call as we head out that day from the campground, unless that would be too early for you  :nananana:

Tom,

No problem. Don't know if it is to early yet as my cousin and I may have an in depth discussion on Tennessee's finest whiskey, so it depends on how long and in depth said discussion will be.  :)

More than likely, I'll head out early, grab some breakfast and tag some BBQ Restaurants en-route. So, I may be riding when you call, but leave a voice mail on your ETA.  :motonoises:

Regarding lunch, there a few restaurants in Lynchburg or Fayetteville, I can inquire with my cousin prior to us having our discussion.  :rotflmao:

Kurt

Tom are there than just the three of us for the tour? If so the more the merrier. If anyone else wants to go Fri. let us know.

I'm in for any and all tours, rides, BBQs and bull sessions. Count me in for sure! :beerchug:

Mike

I will be coming into Dothan, Ala on SR 84 turning N on US 231 caught I 65 at Montgomery to the first exit in Tenn on Thursday.  Is anyone coming from that area that would like to hook up.
I will be leaving Cedar Springs Ga as soon as I can see the those hairy critters in daylight . They are worse than mosquito in that area and they hit harder.

All,

Just received this email from JD:

~~~~~

Please join us for a special bottle signing with Jeff Arnett, Master Distiller on Saturday, September 15th from 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. at the Distillery's Visitor Center. You're welcome to bring up to two items from home for Jeff to sign, and we have some special items here too including the seventh and eighth Scenes from Lynchburg, the special Gentleman Jack bottle and the 160th Birthday bottle.

If you'd like, our engraver will be on hand to personalize the special Gentleman Jack bottle.

~~~~~

Maybe do a run to JD before our lunch appointment at the local Kawi shop.

Kurt

I may still be able to attend this one, my business travel for this coming week has been canceled! Unfortunately, the V is in the shop right now, so it all depends on if I 1) get it back this week as promised and 2) can get Friday off. Here's hoping!  :beerchug:

Hope you can make it Big Joe!  We're gonna have a blast.  Chompin at the bit now. :beerchug: :motonoises: