• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

SECOG Spring Rally

cycledr

Tricycle
Well I went and did it, I am the first to sign up for an event. Never was first at that before but to make matters more interesting I have volunteered to help! :-\ Now that I have done that I would like to see some activity to justify this new experience. Send me a note or post  a note to let me know what ideas you all have. I am not familiar with that part of Georgia but have lived just north of Chattanooga and am pretty familiar with that area. I know I have just opened a big can of worms but let er rip ! :beerchug:

I don't see a SECOG Spring Rally on the SE calendar.
I only see the 2014 National Rally, Roman Roast and several wrenching session though.

Can you provide a link?

:truce:Forgive me everybody for the misunderstanding. I just printed out a copy of the Winter 2013 SE COG news (of which I had not received until I found a link) and it indicates that "This year's Spring Rally will revolve around the 4th Annual Roman Roast on the River Barbeque Competition and Festival" if I may quote from the newsletter!
The dates for the event are 5/9-11/14. Tom Sills has enlisted any and all assistance as his work schedule has made it more difficult than anticipated to designate the time needed to have a successful event.
I am just now realizing that this is Mother's Day weekend and the 11th is included. I will get in touch with Tom to try and clear up any confusion with the dates and will post asap.

Roman Roast on the River is the SECOG Spring Rally now that Run With The Wolf has been moved to the Fall. The Spring rally will "float" from location to location (as did the now defunct Winding Roads and Rivers Rally). RWTW will remain located in proximity to Wolf Pen Gap Road in Suches, GA.

IronButtAl said:
Here's a location that's been mentioned to me by Kurt Brown some time ago.
Anyone care to do a little leg work to check it out for consideration for our group?
Any other suggestions for the NC area appreciated.

http://www.vancetoeriverlodge.com/

Haven't been here myself, but a friend of mine has. Figured it has a brewery, winery, restaurant, camping. Looks made for us. I am planning a RTE here during the National, so maybe we all could check it out. But if any individuals want to check it prior, that would be excellent.

Hey, Moderator, Sir (or Madam): If you could help me out and move this post to the top of thread that would be most excellent!!!

SPRING COG RALLY - DETAILS, DETAILS, DETAILS

WHERE:  ROME AND CAVE SPRING, GEORGIA
WHEN:    MAY 8 - 11

Come one, come all!!  BBQ, Bikes and Music are yours for the taking.  Sanctioned BBQ competition held on the banks of the Oostanaula River in downtown Rome, Georgia with camping and hotel lodging located in nearby Cave Spring, Georgia.

Everyone is welcome to the Spring Rally which takes in the 4th Annual Roman Roast on the River Barbeque Competition and Festival held the second weekend in May. The barbeque competition is sanctioned by the Kansas City Barbeque Society and will offer competitions in both professional and back yard categories. Enjoy tasty BBQ, family fun and the arts & crafts along the banks of the Oostanaula River at Ridge Ferry Park in Rome, Georgia. Last year's event hosted 80, count'em, 80 BBQ contestants!!  Excited to announce that on Friday evening, May 9 there will be live music! Gates open Friday at 6:00pm! Hope to see you there. Tickets to the BBQ competition are in addition to the registration fee and can be bought at the event. Tickets will cost $10 for Friday night competition and concert and $5 for Saturday competition.

Overnight camping and limited lodging will be available at Cedar Creek RV and Outdoor Center (www.bigcedarcreek.com) located outside of Cave Spring, GA.  Those seeking hotel accommodations are encouraged to try the following:

Creekside Inn Motel                            Hearn Inn (B&B), located in Rolater Park

1 Georgia Ave                                    13 Cedartown Street

Cave Spring, GA 30124                        Cave Spring, GA 30124

(706) 777-3887                                    (706) 777-8865

There are also numerous chain hotels located en route between the Rally site and the BBQ competition:

http://hotelguides.com/place-maps/georgia/map-cave-spring-ga-hotels.html

In recognition of Sunday being Mother's Day, the rally campground will be available Wednesday night for those wanting to visit and head out on Saturday.  Area rides are being mapped out for Thursday and Friday that will entertain and inform. This area of Georgia is FULL of fun roads and LOTS of Cherokee Indian and Civil War history.

Hey, see the full details above. Wanted to again point out that, in recognition of this event taking place the same weekend as Mother's Day, the schedule of events is being adjusted to allow participants to bug out on Saturday. The general idea is to come in on Wednesday or Thursday, ride the area roads and see the sights, then hit the sanctioned BBQ competition in Rome on Friday evening. Those that want can stay for the music or gather round the ol' campfire which will be available each night at the campground.

The campground is a treat with Cedar Creek running adjacent to the tent sites and one of the best outdoor gear stores in the region on-site. Besides camping and riding, there's options to canoe/kayak Big Cedar Creek with shuttles provided for a fee by the campground staff, a driving range, and the nearby cave and spring at Cave Spring.  Within 90 minutes you can explore/see Rock City, Ruby Falls, and Point Park on Lookout Mountain, watch hang gliders take a leap at Lookout Mountain Hang Gliding Park, or visit  battlefields preserved from the War of Northern Aggression, and Cherokee Indian heritage sites from that tribe's forced removal from the area in the 1800's. OR ride the roads that take you over Fort Mountain (one of my favorites!) into the town of Ellijay, apple capital of the South, and eat at your choice of great restaurants.  And, for those with a hankering, we're within an easy ride over to KramBonz, Tellico Plains, and the Cherohala.  Take your pick, it's all good!

IronButtAl said:
Anyone care to do a little leg work to check it out for consideration for our group?

If/When it become's NC's turn to host the event, I'd be more than happy to help coordinate it.  (I'll volunteer Pope to help me!!!)  There's lots of options in the western NC area (and others too).  I realize NC is the northern area of the SE region, so hosting it here would be more difficult for the extreme southern guys.  I probably can't make it to the spring rally this year with the National coming up on us, but will look forward to more in the years to come!

Sport Rider said:
IronButtAl said:

If/When it become's NC's turn to host the event, I'd be more than happy to help coordinate it.  (I'll volunteer Pope to help me!!!)  There's lots of options in the western NC area (and others too).  I realize NC is the northern area of the SE region, so hosting it here would be more difficult for the extreme southern guys. I probably can't make it to the spring rally this year with the National coming up on us, but will look forward to more in the years to come!

That hasn't stopped us before.

Sport Rider said:
IronButtAl said:

If/When it become's NC's turn to host the event, I'd be more than happy to help coordinate it.  (I'll volunteer Pope to help me!!!)  There's lots of options in the western NC area (and others too).  I realize NC is the northern area of the SE region, so hosting it here would be more difficult for the extreme southern guys.  I probably can't make it to the spring rally this year with the National coming up on us, but will look forward to more in the years to come!

If there are curves, they will come.

With only two registered, we need to have more interest on this or pull the plug. Please add a little something here if this sounds like something you might like to do, or we're going to have to consider cancelling this soon. Some interest or activity can keep this going a bit more, but..........

I only see two events in May on the SE calender, and this is not one of them.  Why isn't it showing up? 

Glenn, I'm not sure why you can't see it, but it is there. Anybody else have a problem of seeing the Roman Roast on the River?

No, just me, I was looking for SECOG Spring Rally, not Roman Roast River.  Didn't put the two together.  ::) 

Glenn said:
No, just me, I was looking for SECOG Spring Rally, not Roman Roast River.  Didn't put the two together.  ::)

Aww, give it time, it will soon all add up  :)
Thanks for the show of interest!

This looks like a great event to kick off the spring riding season. Weather should be nice and the riding in and around northeast Georgia is a big draw for most.

Looks like a good way to get some quality riding in and still make it home for Sunday events. 

handyman said:
This looks like a great event to kick off the spring riding season. Weather should be nice and the riding in and around northeast Georgia is a big draw for most.

Looks like a good way to get some quality riding in and still make it home for Sunday events.

You got that right! Excellent routes abound and so does the history for those that are so interested. Might even have a excellent choice of competition BBQ to add to the mix!!

I can't make this one because I'm using more leave than I have to go to the National and other events between now and August 1.

Next year I won't have any such limitation, and it may turn out I might as well live in the SE region if I spend so much of my time down there.  :great: :beerchug:

JR said:
I can't make this one because I'm using more leave than I have to go to the National and other events between now and August 1.

Next year I won't have any such limitation, and it may turn out I might as well live in the SE region if I spend so much of my time down there.  :great: :beerchug:

Maybe we can have a vote at Johnson City to induct you as an hnorary SE member? ;)

SteveJ. said:
JR said:

Maybe we can have a vote at Johnson City to induct you as an hnorary SE member? ;)

With all the crappy weather up here, it might not be a matter of "honorary" too much longer. But if we vote on ornery I'm a good candidate.  >:D

Spring rally would be a great tune-up for those of you going to National. Great riding, LOTS of great food, campin' by the creek. Ya'll come on down/up/over!!

Well, it just so happens that I have this week off, SO
if the 'Plug isn't pulled', I'd ride GA for a few days, eat good food,
and sample varied libations around the camp fire....

Count me as a "yep".  :great:

Mcfly said:
Well, it just so happens that I have this week off, SO
if the 'Plug isn't pulled', I'd ride GA for a few days, eat good food,
and sample varied libations around the camp fire....

Count me as a "yep".  :great:
Excellent news!! It will be a great time for riding, eating and relaxing by the creek.

Camper Dave said:
What is this "Spring" I'm hearing about???

The City of Cave Spring is named after their water source, a natural spring flowing out of a cave right smack in the middle of the town. The spring is used by many to supply fresh dinking water, supports a natural trout pond at its mouth, and feeds a public swimming pool without the need for any chlorination. I try to hit it several times a week to replenish my water bottles from bike trips. Many years ago a Mr. Rolater donated the land to make a public park which now bears his name. Google "Cave Spring GA" for more on the fascinating history of the place.

I suspect that Dave was referring to the season rather then the location . You know Dave, it's all that dratted gopher's fault!  ;)

Ranger Jim said:
I suspect that Dave was referring to the season rather then the location . You know Dave, it's all that dratted gopher's fault!  ;)

Hmmm, you know, you just might be right    :eek:  :rotflmao:

I think Tom might be on to something... The only way I'm going to see "Spring" this year is to visit Cave Spring GA!  :great:

Camper Dave said:
I think Tom might be on to something... The only way I'm going to see "Spring" this year is to visit Cave Spring GA!  :great:

Yup. We are still in full on winter here. Highs for the next three days are only in the mid-upper 70's. Brrrr. Where are my Homer slippers.

homerSlippers.jpg

SteveJ. said:
Camper Dave said:

Yup. We are still in full on winter here. Highs for the next three days are only in the mid-upper 70's. Brrrr. Where are my Homer slippers.

homerSlippers.jpg

Doh!!!