• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Seeking tips on painting aluminum pucks

mrinnocent

Anyone have tips on painting the aluminum pucks that ship with the T-Rex crash bars? I just ordered them and plan to paint them black to match.

Clean them with denaturated alcohol, spray paint with a good primer, let dry, followed by spray paint.
Since it's a small project, I would lean towards using plastic model spray paint, like Testors. It will cost more, but the nozzles are higher quality and the paint will spray on more evenly.

Airbrush is another option.

Paint doesn't last long on my bathtub bars. Bugs really beat it up. It's a yearly job. I am going to try Y2k clear over top this winter. It's a lot tougher.

If your going to paint aluminum you need to use RUST OLEUM Self Etching Primer. the self etching stuff bonds to aluminum much better than regular automotive primer. Some of the new "rattle can" paints have very good spray pattern out of the tips now. Go with an enamel for a durable finish, a poly urethane enamel would be even better

Just curious, I have T-tex bars on a bike and the pucks are black plastic. Are you sure your’s are aluminum??

Lightly sand, Prime then use spray on Bedliner !. Very Durable and if you don't put it on heavy there is almost no texture.