• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Self stabilizing "motorcycle"

Cap'n Bob said:
The gyro's would never let it lean.  But no need for rain gear I guess.  :))
They said the gyros would "stabilize" it when leaning in turns.  I can see this.  THe gyros aren't going to lean, of course, but they can and would maintain a level horizon while the vehicle rotates on the axii of the gyro.  THis is way cool.  Not really a motorcycle, but really cool concept and technology if they can make it all work.  Especially at such a competitive price break.  THat would be amazing and revolutionary.

Based on DMV nationwide, it is no less a "motorcycle" than a Spyder, trike or scooter.

No actually, I meant that in this case, would it be an advantage or disadvantage to be classified as a motorcycle over a fuel efficient car?

Cap'n Bob said:
No actually, I meant that in this case, would it be an advantage or disadvantage to be classified as a motorcycle over a fuel efficient car?
Insurance costs are dramatically different for motorcycles and cars, at least where I live.  Ten years ago I owned a car.  It was a nice enough used car with 150k miles on the clock.  I had bare-bones minimum insurance on it and paid $625 every six months.  With Connie I've got full comprehensive/collision, $100k, $300k and a roadside assistance package for $180 for the full year.

ChipDoc said:
Cap'n Bob said:
Insurance costs are dramatically different for motorcycles and cars, at least where I live.  Ten years ago I owned a car.  It was a nice enough used car with 150k miles on the clock.  I had bare-bones minimum insurance on it and paid $625 every six months.  With Connie I've got full comprehensive/collision, $100k, $300k and a roadside assistance package for $180 for the full year.

Same here..Mine is about $225/yr. Bike, 980$ 06 car.

Personally I am looking forward to a nice slightly used version for under 10K. That will be a great commuter bike. It will easily make it to and from work on a charge. Still get me in the carpool lane, and stay dry as well. And still keep the Connie/GoldWing/FJR type bike for those touring days.

Thinking about how it was just standing there on its own during the interview got me to wondering what the quiescent power consumption is and what happens when the battery goes very low and the gyros stop operating.... does it just fall over?

I suspect it'll stop moving forward a LONG time before it actually falls over.  Besides, when you stop it and shut it down to park, it has feet to hold it up rather than spinning the gyros all day long.

ChipDoc said:
I suspect it'll stop moving forward a LONG time before it actually falls over.  Besides, when you stop it and shut it down to park, it has feet to hold it up rather than spinning the gyros all day long.

My comment was specific to when the vehicle is parked and not moving forward.  Please point me to where it states there are feet to hold it up.  I must have missed that info. 

It's at 18 seconds into that first video - the 50 second one.  The young lady steps into the vehicle and the display in the center of the steering column lights up and says Status: Nominal at the top left.  At the bottom right it says Feet Are Down and the "centerstand" is lit up in yellow.

ChipDoc said:
It's at 18 seconds into that first video - the 50 second one.  The young lady steps into the vehicle and the display in the center of the steering column lights up and says Status: Nominal at the top left.  At the bottom right it says Feet Are Down and the "centerstand" is lit up in yellow.

Excellent observation, but how do you explain the comment in the referenced article when comparing this against a competitor... "Unlike the C-1, however, the E-Tracer lacks a gyroscopic stabilizing system - instead, its driver must manually deploy retractable outrigger supports when slowing down or coming to a stop."

or this photo the parked C-1 vehicle without feet...

c-1-9.jpg

There seems to be some inconsistencies. My take is they only show computer models, prototypes, or mock ups (including the display console) and therefore making it difficult to state anything but conjecture.

S Smith said:
Excellent observation, but how do you explain the comment in the referenced article when comparing this against a competitor... "Unlike the C-1, however, the E-Tracer lacks a gyroscopic stabilizing system - instead, its driver must manually deploy retractable outrigger supports when slowing down or coming to a stop."

The E-Tracer needs those while in operation.  The C-1 doesn't need the feet until you shut it off.  I've actually seen a cruiser set up with retractable outriggers - only his were automatic.  They lifted once you got over 5mph and redeployed when you dropped back below that.  I don't know if I'd want it on my machine, but it was pretty cool from the gee-whiz perspective.

S Smith said:
or this photo the parked C-1 vehicle without feet...

c-1-9.jpg

Isn't it obvious?  She just hopped out to go chat up that Concours rider and, in her hurry, forgot to turn the vehicle off!

S Smith said:
There seems to be some inconsistencies. My take is they only show computer models, prototypes, or mock ups (including the display console) and therefore making it difficult to state anything but conjecture.

They say in the article that they're still creating the working prototype, so I'm wondering how the video was created.  But it really doesn't matter, since blind speculation is most of the fun!

The theory is interesting but the reality is in the bodacious operator.  The riding gear looks great on her.
:)

ChipDoc said:
Isn't it obvious?  She just hopped out to go chat up that Concours rider and, in her hurry, forgot to turn the vehicle off!
The power of Ki-Pass would keep the vehicle upright without power.

Or if she is Chuck Norris' daughter, she would not let Gravity pull the vehicle over.

S Smith said:
Based on DMV nationwide, it is no less a "motorcycle" than a Spyder, trike or scooter.
Would you need to wear a helmet when riding it it California?

Love to see a large 'pirate' struggle to get in and out of that vehicle.  With, or without, a helmet...  oofta!