• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Semi-truck knocked it over.

xzaapryca

Big Wheel
Walking out of a local grocery store and a semi-truck jumped a curb in order to hit my nearly new, legally parked, C14.  Big, local bike shop says $3700 to fix and truck driver's insurance says $2800 with a lot less parts replaced.  Everyone acknowledges that the truck driver is 100% at fault.  Bought the 2012 C14 (leftover) brand new in June of this year.  It's my daily driver (truck gets 16mpg) and this is a major bummer.  Any tips or ideas to make sure I don't get screwed? 

BTW, just got a rack from http://www.philsfarkels.com/ (with the SW-Motech kit) for a new Givi V47NN.  Couldn't be happier.  Don't know the guy personally, but thought I'd add my opinion to those who have gotten their rack from him.  Also, my top case was at least $70 cheaper (including shipping) ordering from http://www.motorama.it/en/ in Italy than sourcing one in the US.  Got here in less than a week as well.

Thanks,
Matt

Have YOUR insurance company handle the transaction.
Their interest will be in getting the bike back to 'like new' just as yours is.

The driver's insurance company is hoping that you won't sue over $900.  I agree with notsluggo - let your insurance company handle it but don't sign anything until you're satisfied that the bike is up to snuff.

notsluggo said:
Have YOUR insurance company handle the transaction.
Their interest will be in getting the bike back to 'like new' just as yours is.
^^^^^ what he said.

I'm sure everyone is of course assuming you have full coverage, but I had an incident years ago with my car. Brand newish car, 2 months old, 4000 miles on it and the other drivers insurance company was trying to short me like 4 grand. I ended opening a claim with progressive at the time, and while I was still short, it was only about 1800 bucks, not 4k. This is of course before all the "new car insurance" stuff became popular. Progressive had to take the other company to court to get the additional money the other insurance company shorted them. They won, and everything was all well and dandy....but it's a good lesson to use your insurance company to your advantage. You pay them premiums, make them work for it.

Finally settled with the trucking company's insurance.  Thanks for everyone's help and suggestions.  Going with Canyon Cages after the repair.  :) 

Glad to hear that, after six months, the insurance finally came through.  You'll like the Canyon Cages; don't let them sit on a shelf in the garage - install those suckers!