• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Sent me the wrong Madstad bracket

sfsokc

Hey folks, check out these pictures.  I was trying to install my new Madstad brackets for my 2011 C-14 with Cee Bailey Euro Shield.  But I think they sent me the wrong ones.  :'(  What I need to know is this-- once you've attached the brackets, your windscreen IS supposed to fit the brackets flush, correct?  You can clearly see that the angle between the original attachment points is much wider than between the points on the brackets.  Like it was designed basically for a flatter windscreen....  The brackets also don't look like the pictures on the Madstad site either.

Just wanted to make sure I'm doing this right.  I don't want to tighten those bolts right now; looks like they'll screw up my windscreen if I do!

Attachments

• IMG_20190407_203141.jpg
    IMG_20190407_203141.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_20190407_203218.jpg
    IMG_20190407_203218.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 148
I think they're right, they're a little fiddly installing & have a little sde movement. They are great once installed. Here's how mine look, hope it helps.

Attachments

• 20190407_210029_resized.jpg
    20190407_210029_resized.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 150
  • 20190407_210128_resized.jpg
    20190407_210128_resized.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 135
Cliff:  as far as I can tell, those seem to look a bit different from mine.  My point was that the holes in the windscreen do NOT fit the bracket flush, like they do with the stock arms.  If I tighten the bolts, I'm pretty sure it will flex my windscreen outward!  Look at the link below on the Madstad site.  My brackets do NOT look like this.  The little round rubber bumpers on the brackets are actually directly between the rubber screw wells on mine, not like in the photo here:  https://madstad.com/collections/kawasaki/products/kawasaki-concours-1400

Here's the photo....

Attachments

• Concours_1400_brackets_kit_large.jpg
    Concours_1400_brackets_kit_large.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 104
I would see what Madstad has to say, they do have a 60 day satisfaction guarantee.  May have to take my shield lose on on 1 side like your picture & see how it looks then. I still lean towards they're right, but hard to tell from your pictures.

I have contacted the company, and they're wanting me to send a photo of the shield fully installed.  The only problem is that I don't have much confidence to tighten screws on a shield that meets the mount points at about a 30 degree angle!  It JUST DOESN'T FIT.

Cliff:  I'd really like to see if you installed the same brackets they sent me, and HOW exactly you made it fit right.  From what I can see on mine, if I were to BEND their brackets out a bit, then maybe it might fit OK.

I've posted the pic of the model they sent me, and the one from their website for the C-14.  Obviously they are not the same.

Attachments

• Concours_1400_brackets_kit_1024x1024.jpg
    Concours_1400_brackets_kit_1024x1024.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 108
  • My bracket.jpg
    My bracket.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 110
I drew this as well to illustrate the problem.

Attachments

• Madstad bracket.png
    Madstad bracket.png
    95.4 KB · Views: 129
I have the MRA Vario with the Madstad brackets and I don't seem to have the same problem.  I've attached photos of the individual brackets mounted w/o the shield and then of one with the shield mounted on the brackets. HTH.

Apologize for the dirt, but haven't had the opportunity to wash the bike since August.

Attachments

• RS.jpeg
    RS.jpeg
    67.6 KB · Views: 113
  • leftside.jpg
    leftside.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 113
  • mounted.jpg
    mounted.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 127
thanks Amphib...

Ted:  don't recall even seeing a part number (I'll check again).  The included instruction manual was indeed for the C-14.

So i have been on this sight for years and have never come across the madstad brackets for the C14.

Can the people that have them say why they bought them for an adjustable windscreen?

What benefits do you notice and are they worth it. Thanks

I am told that having a larger amount of air flowing under the screen is supposed to push more laminar flow over your head.  (less turbulence & buffeting).  I have put up with buffeting and noise for years, but I always wear earplugs (in fact, can't think of NOT wearing them, and anyone that doesn't is probably asking for hearing loss over time).  I'll let you guys know how it goes though.  Still gotta install them according to Madstad.

* UPDATE *

After much back and forth with the company, turns out Madstad had a defective production run where their brackets were off some 5-10 degrees on their bend angle.  They sent me out a new one, which they'd personally verified.

The fit is flush now; however honestly, width between the holes still doesn't quite match my windscreen.  Nonetheless, I was able to get them installed w/o much fuss.

Still trying to find the perfect angle for the windscreen that will divert flow over my head.  Since there's technically now more leverage on the control arms, the screen tends to "shake around" more than I'm used to, due to gusts or bumps in the road.  However overall I'm pretty happy.

Would like to hear from others that have installed this?

I finally installed the Madstad brackets on my 2016 last weekend.  When doing < 30MPH, I have noticed a bit more shaking and wobbling.  I will double-check the bolts soon.  However, I had been thinking it was a function of using a CalSci XL Wide windshield.

That said, I've been very happy with the reduced wind noise at 60mph and above.  I have noticed a bit more sound from what I *think* is the front tire.  But I'm happy with the trade-off.

What gives?  I was interested in checking the brackets out and got a "page not found" message using the link put up by an earlier poster.  They also don't show C 14s on their Kawasaki page.  Makes me wonder if after the defective product run mentioned by the OP they decided not to carry brackets for the C 14 any longer.

I will chime in here with my first ever COG post to say the Madstad bracket for me was a night-and-day change. My 2011 Connie is my first non-cruiser bike, and I was SO disappointed by the head buffeting/noise at highway speeds, regardless of where I put the windshield.
Due to a forum member here recommending Madstad + stock shield even more than an expensive shield... I went with it. LOVE it. Love riding. So much quieter. Madstad doesn’t raise the shield, it raises the angle of the shield. Position 1 is all I really ever need.