• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

September 2011 Cycle World Findings

Sport rider

Iron Butt
So, anyone have any thoughts about the article and their results?  I'm obviously biased about the C14, and a more sport-oriented rider than tour-oriented.  What really strikes me though is that for the $10k difference in the pricetag, how could anyone seriously consider the Beemer?  Maybe it's just that I'm a tight-wad.

You don't have to be a tight wad to dislike getting bent over repeatedly by BMW or any other faction of prima donnas.  I've had four of their cars and six bikes since 1968.  They've always been a bit more money and the general consensus has been that they're worth it.  I thought they were once... in fact for about thirty years (off and on) BUT, I've learned to wait and watch... and wait and watch some more.  The last thing I'll ever be when the price is plenty and the dependability is a total unknown, is "the first kid on the block."  Knowing what I know and believing what I've been told by some that know more, I suspect Mr. Trouble will be coming around to visit those who will be first on the 1600.

At 8,500 miles I truly believed my R1200RT was the best all around motorcycle money could buy, even at 21K.  At 9,100 miles and two months out of warranty the dealer told me the ESA rear shock was bad: $2,000.00 parts/$350.00 labor.  BMW told me the shock was a wear item.  I say it didn't wear out, it failed and it failed in the instant that the electronic adjuster would no longer adjust the shock it was attached to.  The dealer told me to trade it in and not say anything or just ride it the way it was, which is what they would do.  Then at 9,300 the ABS light stayed on noticeably longer at start-up... $2,000 plus plus.  So there I sat on the best motorcycle 21K could buy, it had less that 10,000 miles on it and I was looking at a 5K repair bill being handed to me on the end of a sharp stick.

As for Cycle World... go back and read my friend Steve Anderson's piece on the 1600.  Read between the lines and you too will wait and watch.

As for what my next bike will be?  Let's see how this C14 goes.  I'm not used to changing bikes at 10,000 miles like I did with my K1200GT and now my R1200RT.  I rode my '79 GS850Shaft 137,000 miles and some years later I rode my KLR nearly 70,000.  Maybe in a couple years I'll throw my leg over my new BMW.  I guess the less you ride the bike the more you can put up with it.  It all comes down to who you think you are and what you think you're riding.  I met a guy the other day who thinks he's riding an American motorcycle.  Ha! 

domo said:
You don't have to be a tight wad to dislike getting bent over repeatedly by BMW or any other faction of prima donnas.  I've had four of their cars and six bikes since 1968.  They've always been a bit more money and the general consensus has been that they're worth it.  I thought they were once... in fact for about thirty years (off and on) BUT, I've learned to wait and watch... and wait and watch some more.  The last thing I'll ever be when the price is plenty and the dependability is a total unknown, is "the first kid on the block."  Knowing what I know and believing what I've been told by some that know more, I suspect Mr. Trouble will be coming around to visit those who will be first on the 1600.

At 8,500 miles I truly believed my R1200RT was the best all around motorcycle money could buy, even at 21K.  At 9,100 miles and two months out of warranty the dealer told me the ESA rear shock was bad: $2,000.00 parts/$350.00 labor.  BMW told me the shock was a wear item.  I say it didn't wear out, it failed and it failed in the instant that the electronic adjuster would no longer adjust the shock it was attached to.  The dealer told me to trade it in and not say anything or just ride it the way it was, which is what they would do.  Then at 9,300 the ABS light stayed on noticeably longer at start-up... $2,000 plus plus.  So there I sat on the best motorcycle 21K could buy, it had less that 10,000 miles on it and I was looking at a 5K repair bill being handed to me on the end of a sharp stick.

As for Cycle World... go back and read my friend Steve Anderson's piece on the 1600.  Read between the lines and you too will wait and watch.

As for what my next bike will be?  Let's see how this C14 goes.  I'm not used to changing bikes at 10,000 miles like I did with my K1200GT and now my R1200RT.  I rode my '79 GS850 137,000 miles and some years later I rode my KLR nearly 70,000.  Maybe in a couple years I'll throw my leg over my new BMW.  I guess the less you ride the bike the more you can put up with it.  It all comes down to who you think you are and what you think you're riding.  I met a guy the other day who thinks he's riding an American motorcycle.  Ha!

You might agree the first run of the C14 had its share of "ailments"? Some were recalls, some were product changes/improvements for '10.

Good, I'm glad mine's a 2011.  When that Kow wants 25% of new cost for repairs it will be traded in on a brand new Wing. 

The R1200RT was anything but a fresh start model.   

The point of course is, who's a "tight wad" and what are reasonable expectations from a marque like BMW?  I think it's wonderful that BMW leads the way to what's new and what in the future the Japanese will have to do.  And I'm an older, retired guy with toys.  I'm what's known in retail as a "valued customer".  I'm not stupid or unreasonable, my checks cash, I'll pay the extra bucks for the good stuff but, when my paid-for piece of the good stuff develops problems known to the manufacturer and I'm told to pound sand... I'm no longer their customer.  I'll be missed, they won't.

When I asked the dealer that I bought the bike from for a trade number on a new R1200RT with like equipment (remember mine has 9,100 miles)
the quote out the door was 13K.  I think it's important to know who your fools are and who's fool you are... whatever is being exchanged.

domo said:
The point of course is, who's a "tight wad" and what are reasonable expectations from a marque like BMW?  I think it's wonderful that BMW leads the way to what's new and what in the future the Japanese will have to do.  And I'm an older, retired guy with toys.  I'm what's known in retail as a "valued customer".  I'm not stupid or unreasonable, my checks cash, I'll pay the extra bucks for the good stuff but, when my paid-for piece of the good stuff develops problems known to the manufacturer and I'm told to pound sand... I'm no longer their customer.  I'll be missed, they won't.

domo,
  I have some of the same mixed feelings about bmw.  I still have 3 of them but when they began
making the jap look alike bikes, I wanted the real thing.  One day they will succeed but Iĺl probably
never buy another new bmw bike (just bought a new Z4 though)  :-\ .  They have come a long way but they still have too many clutch problems,
timing chain jump problems and throttle control strangeness.  They WILL fix all their shortcomings,
they will also lose a lot of customers with their corporate attitude.

Mick

Yes Mick, I had money down on a new K1300GT before they came out.  I was on a K1200GT at the time.  The dealer called to tell me they had a bike to ride so I hustled over, rode it 1.25 miles round trip, got off and said, This is a damn Kawasaki!

By the way here's a hoot!  I had 1100 leanin' over cause of pullin' to the right miles on my 2011 C14 and last night I put my new Two Brothers rig on, hooked the stock muffler and pipe to my Scag mower and drug the thing down behind McDonald's and left it there.  Today, the bike goes straight as an arrow hands off!  Call me a liar...

domo,
  Are you trying to tell me that the famous PTTR symptom of śome' OIlheads was carried over
to the Kawi?  :)  I put the Muzzy duals on with about 92 miles on my 2010 C14 so I never had
to deal with the stock exhaust.  :beerchug:

Mick

i was seriously considering the F800GS ... till i started reading about all the problems people were having with them.
Way to much money to spend to be worried about breakage when your off the beaten path.

MKorn said:
i was seriously considering the F800GS ... till i started reading about all the problems people were having with them.
Way to much money to spend to be worried about breakage when your off the beaten path.

:-X

;D