• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Service experience in Evanston, Wyoming

donmoe

Tricycle
After arriving in Kamas, Utah on August 2nd aboard my 2010 Kawasaki Concours 14, I discovered that my rear tire (Pirelli Angel ST) was showing its steel belts sooner than I had anticipated and the front was also getting thin. After calling several dealers in the Salt Lake City area and not finding one able to replace both tires or do an oil change during the week, I contacted Cycle City Wyoming in Evanston and spoke with co-owner Mitch. He promptly determined that his shop could take care of my needs within a couple days, giving me priority over other work, since he wants to support touring riders. He also recommended checking the brake pads and replacing them if necessary.

We set up an appointment for the morning of August 4th and I rode the bike the 60 miles via I-80 and arrived arround 9:30. Mitch immediately took my bike into the shop and Clare, their experienced Kawasaki mechanic, started work. Within four hours the bike was ready to continue on its journey around the country. While waiting I was allowed to sit in a vacant room and use their WiFi to access the Internet. Unlike most other dealers, I was also allowed into the shop area to observe the work. I'm also glad that Mitch alerted me to the brake pad issue. All three sets were worn enough to be replaced.

My experience with Cycle City Wyoming in Evanston was excellent. Mitch, Clare and Trevor were all very friendly and helpful. If anyone else is in need of service on their Kawasaki or Yamaha motorcycle, I can certainly recommend they contact Mitch about their requirements, 307-789-7533.

Incidentally, I can also recommend the Chinese buffet for lunch ($6.99) within a short walk of the shop.

I can now continue my 12,000-mile tour of the country, which I started on June 21st in Florida and expect to complete in September.

Don Moe
MstA # 12938

Don,
How long is your trip?  Must be a good one if you wore out both tires and brakes since you left home. 

During my initial planning, I figured the trip would be about 12,000 miles and take about 2 months. Since starting out on June 21st, I've already put over 8,800 on the odometer (now nearly 24K) and I've only reached Yellowstone National Park. It's surprising how the miles add up when traveling around this huge country we have. At this rate the odometer will certainly be well over 30K when I return home.

The front tire was nearly new when I left and I probably could have pushed it another 1,500 to 10K, but I thought I should do both and be safer as well as avoid another tire change within a week or two.

As luck would have it, after only four days that new Pirelli rear tire was severely gashed today in Yellowstone Park by a stray 1" square piece of metal and went flat very quickly. Thankfully the Concours' tire pressure warning system alerted me to the problem and I was able to reach a safe pull-off without incident. It took over two hours for a tow-truck to arrive. Cell phone coverage in the Park is essentially non-existent.

Currently I'm spending the night in a motel in Gardiner, Montana. In the morning another tow-truck will transport my bike plus a Honda Goldwing with trailer to Livingston to the Yamaha dealer. Hopefully he has a replacement Pirelli tire on hand and can put it on soon.

These kinds of things can happen on long trips. It doesn't pay to get upset about it.

Don