• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Service Manual question

Tom NWGA

My used 1999 Connie came to me in almost picture perfect condition and with the Owners Manual for the ZG1000-A14. I also received a Service Manual in somewhat used condition that covered the years 1986-1997(up to the A12 model). Got concerned that some mechanical differences may have existed between the 1997 version and my 1999 Connie, even after reading the history of the Connie located somewhere on the COG website. So I ordered the Service Manual from the Kawasaki website that was listed for my make and year of bike. It arrived today and lo and behold, there was no manual published in my year of production. The next model year is 2000 and series A15. Yet, contrary to the article's suggestion that the oil drain in the forks was eliminated in 1994, the Year 2000 drawing and subsequent re-drawing of the front fork unit still shows the now non-existent drain plug. If the material doesn't report these changes, should I keep the 1986-2006 version of the Service Manual, or sell it and rely on the used '86-'97 version? COG #8892 CDA #0309 So glad this Vol can tour!

Is this a Kawasaki manual or Clymers? My BigK manual (86-2002) has a supplement for 1994-97 models starting on 19-1. You will find that most of the service operations for your 1999 A12 model will be ~ the same as other ZG1000s.

+1 on Jay's reply. I use both the Clymer and Ma K's shop manual. Over all I think I prefer the Ma K one but it does assume a higher technical understanding. The other big difference is that the Ma K manual is all based on the early model, with the dif

Yes, I'm referring to the Kawasaki Manual. Just noticed that the technical inaccuracy about the fork oil drain plug, which was eliminated in 1994, still shows up in the shop drawings of the fork tubes on page 19-8. And, do the sections dated 2000 and later have any bearing on the upkeep of my 1999 Connie? If not, then why would I need to keep the newer version of the shop manual? COG #8892 CDA #0309 So glad this Vol can tour!

If you have a chance to look at some of the original microfiche you will probably also notice bad English and misspelled words (like carpier instead of caliper). Don't sweat it. You might want to keep the other manual just in case you decide to have a tech session at your house and a fellow COGger needs to read up on a particular maintenance procedure?
Just noticed that the technical inaccuracy about the fork oil drain plug, which was eliminated in 1994, still shows up in the shop drawings of the fork tubes on page 19-8.