• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Setting sun and glare while riding. Got solution or equipment suggestion?

lmckusic

When I am riding in the direction of the setting sun, the glare bothers me. The problem is I am 69 and my eye fluid is not as clear as when I was younger. For every day use I wear a hat with a brim. I am considering buying glasses with polarized lenses but the lenses may interact with the polarized plastic of the face shield. I have not heard of it, but how about a sun visor for the Connie windshield?

When there is sun in my eyes I can't see in the shadows of the road ahead.

Here is a question. Have you worked out a solution to the sun in eyes problem?

So far, I used a 3x5" card slid between the helmet and the face shield. That helped somewhat when I was driving west through Arizona on I-80. I held to top of the card in place with a piece of 1" wide blue painters tape. I definitely did not want a piece of cardboard falling down in my face at 85 mph. I have a Shoei helmet and it does not have a visor. The card is too clumsy for day to day use.

MotoCommuter said:
Put a couple strips of electrical tape across the visor.
Yep. Carry a roll. Can be applied and removed with ease. Leave alittle folded back on itself like a flag and can be pulled like a tear off.

I just flip the switch and tilt my head a bit more.  The switch is to the flip down visor on my helmet.  The tilting my head more is like the elc. tape only my head fits into my helmet far enough to not need tape to do the same thing. 

Just watch out for cheap flip down visors.  The ones on several cheap helmets are not good.  My way to expensive Shoie is perfect optics and very dark.  Now I run a clear shield all the time and it is easy to go from dark to full sun.

Fais said:
Oh man - if it's not deer season just pull over(!) No, I know the sun sets faster here surrounded by mountains. A lot of folks put electrical tape across the top of their visor. Then there is this:

https://www.amazon.com/The-Original-Helmet-Sunblocker/dp/B00BSCFETQ

or this:

http://www.helmetshop.com/Fog-City-Speed-Tint-Sunblocker

Feedback on the sunblockers, the Fog City version worked better for me, it actually uses a line of adhesive to attach to the face shield.
I used the Original Sunblocker, it is a "cling" type tint. It appeared to me that the flexing of the faceshield from opening and closing would cause the tint to loose it's grip and not stay put.  YMMV 

+1 on the Super-Visor  !
They work really well and I have not ever had one come off, The only downside is they are kinda goofy looking to the sport bike folks.  :-\

I keep one on my clear shield and swap shields depending on expected time of day.  Longer rides I bring both shields and swap accordingly. 

I wear polarized prescription sunglasses under the UV shield. Just because it provides UV protection doesn't mean polarized.  No interference or anything.  As long as both sets of lenses are clean, it's all good.  My ride home from work is strait into the sun over water. 

I've used the electrical tape (most frugal method), the sun-blocker (used in conjunction with a flip-down sun shield) and the super-visor. All will work.

I found the super-visor created a bit of additional noise as the wind flow over my windshield hit right above where the visor mounted. It wasn't a lot and ear plugs dealt with it easily. My wife, riding pillion, had hers blow off somewhere in Nebraska. Put the electrical tape on her helmet and the problem was resolved. It coming off was likely operator error.  I'm planning to put one of the helmet I'm going to use riding the COBDR.

For the sun-blocker, I actually put two of them (one atop the other to make a darker strip) in my helmet. I don't ride around with my face shield open but I've not had any issues with the "cling" systems coming loose.

I've used electrical tape and I've also used SOLAS reflective tape. Easy to install, very inexpensive, very effective, doesn't effect the aerodynamics of the helmet. Undoubtedly the least cost option albeit not the most attractive.

I use something marketed under the name Frog Lidz. It used to be on Ebay but not anymore. I managed to track the seller down and he is waiting for an order to be shipped with new stock. It is a plastic strip that attaches either with velcro for easy on/off or screws to the inside of the helmet at the top of the face opening. The shield can go up and down as usual with no problem. I can pull over and have it attached in a couple minutes and can take it off while riding and slip it into my pocket or into the glove box on top of the tank. I will take some pics and post later. It really works well.

My commute takes me an hour into the sun both ways.  This would quite literally be a life saver. 

When adding electrical tape, do you apply it to the inside or outside of the visor?

I have a dimming visor but it still is hard to see when looking into the sun. 

I have the inner flip down visor on our helmets.
Like it, but sometimes not quite e'nuff.

This discussion makes me think that maybe I could add the electrical tape etc to the top of the inner flip down.
  if that works, it wouldn't be seen and has adjustable height...

I'm interested to hear Gsun's info too.

Ride safe, Ted

Drives me crazy too :) short trip I am told, anyway I used a roll of auto static cling, huge roll for $5 and used it for years I also have a scorpion helmet with drop down visor and never had a issue with the static cling stuff taken off and on number of times never an issue. Then tried the super visor I was meh? it was good but I had issues with the clips and it got complicated, last year I bought a bilt dual sport type with a peak and the drop down visor I am set :)

GIant81 said:
My commute takes me an hour into the sun both ways.  This would quite literally be a life saver. 

When adding electrical tape, do you apply it to the inside or outside of the visor?

I have a dimming visor but it still is hard to see when looking into the sun.

In my case, I have one helmet with it on the outside and one with it on the inside. Only reason for difference was one was applied at home in shop and other applied on the road. Both work.

I don't do cling-on, as they have fluttered off in the wind previously.