• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

shift return spring

cycle2

Training Wheels
Can anyone tell me how much of a job replacing the shift return spring on a 86 would be and where it is located. shifter will not return to center.

Ken; Quite a bit of work. You have to remove the Bevel Drive Unit (BDU) To do that I suggest you need to get the shop manual from Kawasaki or Clymer, as it is quite involved. Remove LHS lowe plastic and Belly Pan Drain, Coolant& Oil. Remove Water Pump, Rear wheel, Rear Shock, and Rocker, & swinging arm. Disconnect oil pressure switch connection.remove clutch slave Then remove the BDU The selector spring is then exposed. Buy and fit new BDU gasket, and oil seals for gear selector, water pump etc. Takes about 2 hrs to get apart if you know what your doing 4 - 6 if you don't LoL Best to make sure it really is the spring, and its not that the linkage is binding.

thats exactly whats happened to me.. was stuck in 1st... and couldn't shift.... mow i'm waitin for the part to come in from japan.. Kawi Canada DOESN'T have the part in stock... hopefully in this week. have tried all dealerships in the area with no luck... its not a part anyone normally keeps i guess. some of the other online part source companies want 7-10 working days to ship.. Oh brother... just gonna have to wait it out.... will call down to buffalo on monday to see if any dealerships might have one.. david