• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Shiftin n Grinnin 2009 National report

JohnC

Street Cruiser
First of all, I want to say a big "THANK YOU" to all those that assisted and made the rally a success. The south east team came together and did very good from my perspective. Also, I want to say Thank You to all that attended and I do hope you had a good time. If you loved curves, you had the best the SE has to offer. As for the rally, we had 322 registered and 307 onsite, there were only 15 no shows. Of the total number 90% were pre-registered thus 10% signed-up on-site. Of those pre-registered, 85% were done on-line and 15% mail-in. From the organizer's standpoint, I want to express that online sign-up requires the least effort while on-site registration requires the most effort. Hint, register for events online. As for Cindy and I, we had hoped to ride Thursday, but with the rain and since I've had more than my share of surprise baths, I loaded the Silver Bird onto the trailer. Then we started getting things ready for the trip back home. That allowed us to get on the road before noon Friday. We arrived home about 6 pm and got most everything unpacked and put back in place before midnight. There was still quite a lot of catching up to do once we got up and that continues. But as of right now, I've already blown up one of the mowers. It seems it rained most every day we were gone and grass was almost knee high. After a little bit of mowing the mower went 'POW' and ran no more. So we will be running at half the prior capability for awhile. In the daytime I'll be catching up with the daily work here and then at night working on the paperwork that one has to complete after the rally. Now once I get all that done, I'll find the cameras and start downloading the pics. So please be patient on seeing my pics. For those that would like to ride some more in that area, I want to remind you that the SE Winding Roads and Rivers Rally will be at IronHorse MC Lodge, which is less than 25 miles from Fontana Village. That will be the weekend after Labor Day, so sign up and we will see you there. tcars John

John, Patty and I had a great time too, though next time we need more t-shirts for volunteers (whine!). We opted for a cabin on the last minute deal and really enjoyed it. I was not so happy that it was on the far side of the main area but then it was plenty close enough. Otherwise I would not have gotten any exercise! We rode up to the Cleveland SC area and spent the night with Ken Butt and his wife Gladyes before riding to the National. Ken gave us the route up 178 to 215 to BRP and such, which was a great ride for a Monday morning. Chris Mazuros rode up with us and was good company. The rally was a great event for COG and I look forward to the WRRR. The Iron Horse is an excellent location. I was hoping to stop by and see John Powell on my trips down 143 but never quite got there. IronHorseNC has very nice tent camping and food, and the brook going through the campground is very relaxing. Jim Culp (RangerJim) gave us advice on heading home, so we took 28 all the way to Walhala, SC. which is 101 miles of twisties through NC, GA and into SC. We took 11 from there (scenic highway 11) and then through Elberton to US1 and homeward. It was extremely hot and my wife and I were sharing the hydration pac on the bike. We stopped more often which is bad as far as making time but good for being alert, healthy and not overheated. Great time! David in Jax, FL COG# 7898 CDA # 2002 ZZR-1200 "Magic Carpet" 2004 Suzuki Intruder 1500 LC "Luxury Couch"

John and all, Great Job on the rally! I just got home after just under 3300 miles and the tires I got two weeks ago are half trashed all the way to the edge for a change. :) ---------------------------------- South Central Area Director Email scad@cog-online.org
2277636501_61718d569a.jpg
<p align="left"><a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/20211686@N05/">My Photos<br

+1 on IronHorse MC Lodge. There are campsites, cabins and bunkhouse beds available. Everything is close together and the food is great. Really enjoyed WRRR last year there. Think it works out better than the Maggie Valley area. Thanks again John

Also +1 on the IronHorseNC.... I'm planning on being there. Anyone coming up from FL, GA or SC may want to take 28 from SC all the way up there (101 miles) to get in the mood for the twisties. David in Jax, FL COG# 7898 CDA # 2002 ZZR-1200 "Magic Carpet" 2004 Suzuki Intruder 1500 LC "Luxury Couch"

John, Patti and I want to thank you and your crew for a wonderful rally. You and your crew did a fantastic job and we realy appreciate your efforts. '02 Silver Concours COG#5814-5814A AMA#995144 South Centeral AAD New Orleans, Louisiana

John, Patti and I want to thank you and your crew for a wonderful rally. You and your crew did a fantastic job and we realy appreciate your efforts. Bob & Patti Hulett '02 Silver Concours COG#5814 AMA#995144 South Centeral AAD New Orleans, Louisiana

Big thanks to you and all the National Team John! You did us proud! Many thanks again for the loan of RD, she runs like a top, even if it is missing 52cc's LoL I found the broken Ram mount ball when I got home, I'll replace the screw and post it off to you. Once I have the 2010 info from the NC team I'll post that up ASAP. Best Colin Prior COG IT Director Lake Forest Park WA COG#7767 AMA#1081764 ROK#20000617
2606714340100596652OGFlOW_th.jpg

Thanks for all the hard work John. This was my first Rally as a COG member and I had a great time. Next time I hope to spend more time riding with my fellow COGERS! I spent some of my time with my buddies who rode down with me and another day and a 1/2 at a Dealer in Asheville waiting for them to rebuild my carbs (oh fun!). Also, I gassed up at the Pit Stop Thursday afternoon and ended up emptying my tank about an hour East on Friday morning due to water in the tank. Did anyone else have any issues with that? Thanks again to everyone I met and hope to see you all soon. Tom Kerrigan TMK45 Tom Kerrigan 2000 C10 COG# 8497 AMA Member

I am back at work today,
Hey Rich... work is s four letter word. I got in Saturday evening after 2 long riding days. I posted up a full report elsewhere. -- Steve Smith, COG #3184 COG Northeast Area Director (somewhere in south central CT)
larryline.gif
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

John, Ken and the whole SECOG team, thank you very much for a great rally! Always a pleasure to ride those roads through, over and down the beautiful mountainsides, and enjoy the ever-present streams and rivers down in the valleys. Only 600 miles away made it very easy to attend and maximize riding time there, very glad I could make it. Also nice to see that Robbinsville is prospering despite the economic woes these days. The banquet was great, the live music a real treat for a bluegrass fan; the lodge staff was helpful, friendly and had a good sense of humor. ;p Great selection of ride routes to choose from, I'll not soon forget how much I enjoyed the 'Highland Fling' route, or NC209 over east of the Park. As always the Dragon, Cherohala and Foothills were awesome as usual (if somewhat technical at times due to T-storms :8o:) Thanks to Steve Smith for doing the Mapsource seminar- I now have a clue how to use that program much more effectively with my GPS. Still can't believe all the doorprizes you guys had to give away, that was amazing- and two Roadcrafters to boot- incredible! Great job, thanks for all you did to make it happen! Steve K. '02 Concours 'Locomotive Breath' COG# 6550 AMA# 965469 'No matter where you go, there you are...'
2822107220014238429Coipiz_th.jpg
2901812650014238429UfVKJm_th.jpg

Great job to everyone who worked so hard to put on a first class rally !! CT AAD COG #7011-A 2003 Concours-Mary Ann 1995 Honda Nighthawk 750 wifes
2404055870098914013eWgtrD_th.jpg
2032479400098914013vMhfsR_th.jpg

Great rally, great location, great routes. Grinned all the way there and back from Canada on some of the best roads PA, WV, VA, and NC had to offer. Still grinning from that $500 Kawasaki door prize!!

I'm very glad most all had a great time. This was a dream come true for Vic and I. Just remember, it was a team effort, a lot of people had a part in the event. I was just the fool that said we can do this. Even with all the effort it took on my part, would I do it again, . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Oh, heck you know the answer, Yes! bgof You "join for the bike, you stay for the people" is the real truth of this. We, COG members, still continue to make history with volunteer efforts. May it never end. tcars John

John, Thanks so much to you personally, to your collaborators and to every participant for a most memorable National "Shifting n Grinnin" at Fontana ! After 3 days to get home and 4 days to recuperate, it was back to VA for MSTA STAR headquartered in old Staunton town, near WV, Cass, Marlington.... But it was nothing, absolutely nothing comparable to Fontana ! See ya all in Tomah !