• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Shinko 777 poor life?

beaucephus

Scooter
I chose the 777 based on recommendations from the group, and the expectation it was a bit longer lasting.  I'm in FL, and drive the speed limit (mostly), so my requirements are pretty light.  This tire is squared off at the wear bars at 1 year and 6k miles.  Is this normal for a guy that doesn't ever get a chance to lean over?  I have the C14 shock in the rear that might not be set well, but nothing else I can blame on me. 

My C-10 is my commuter bike.
Spends most of its time on straighter,
high-speed primary roads.
I never get less than 12K miles from a 777.
In fact, it's the only tire I've ever used,
on any bike, that has lasted for two seasons.
By comparison, my "touring" bike goes
through two sets of tires in a season or
roughly 7.5K miles.

I had few thousand miles on both the 2002 and 2005 C10 that I had put the 777/777HD on and both looked almost like new.
Is your pavement really course and/or sharp type aggregate?

jettawreck said:
I had few thousand miles on both the 2002 and 2005 C10 that I had put the 777/777HD on and both looked almost like new.
Is your pavement really course and/or sharp type aggregate?

It's HOT pavement.... pretty much all the time...  Really hot.

The roads are in better condition than the NE area but they are also much more abrasive then the roadways here in the NE area. I would venture
a guess that mileage would be about half of what we get out of tires here. Heck, I got over 11K out of a rear Avon and the front could have probably
gone to 15K or more.
The sun bakes out the binders in the pavement which leads to a very rough abrasive surface. You can see it by how fast the new pavement ages and
becomes a dark grey instead of black.

just my worthless .02 on the subject.  :great:

Zorlac said:
I'm unimpressed with its lifespan too.
I might try their Verge radial or just go back to the Michelin Commander II next time.

Got a rear Verge 011 right here to mount, love the shinko 777 but want a radial pair with my Pilot Road 3 front tire.

I grew-up riding bikes and cycles in Fl and still have scars from the road rash. The roads are like sandpaper.  I have Shinko 712 on the front and a 777 on the rear of my '86 and their wearing like iron. The 777 has 10000 on it and the 712 has 3k and still looks new. They wear like the old Dunlop K491's without it's evil tendencies. I ride the saluda grade in NC for every other ride so I burn tires up.  Worst was Bridgestone bt45, I barely got months out of that tire, about 3k miles.
I just got a Dunlop Roadsmart for the front of my'01. I bought it because their made in Penn, but I'm usually sorry I bought Dunlops.
Has anybody used Shinko Journeys? I like the tread pattern better than the Verge and their made for Wings, so a Connie would be light. I think I could squeeze a 130 on the front of my '01 and I know a 160 would fit the rear. What y'all think. 

VTconnie said:
Zorlac said:
I might try their Verge radial or just go back to the Michelin Commander II next time.

Got a rear Verge 011 right here to mount, love the shinko 777 but want a radial pair with my Pilot Road 3 front tire.

Had the Shinko 777/777HD on the rear of the two C10's and now riding a ST1300. The BattleAx rear tire was about done after a good long run and since there was no 777 in the needed size, I ordered a Verge 011 ($95). Getting it mounted today and hope to try it out this weekend-before the weather gets ugly with chance of snow again. Good reports on the ST forum as to performance and life of the Verge 011, even though the tread pattern doesn't look very impressive.

jettawreck said:
VTconnie said:
Zorlac said:

Had the Shinko 777/777HD on the rear of the two C10's and now riding a ST1300. The BattleAx rear tire was about done after a good long run and since there was no 777 in the needed size, I ordered a Verge 011 ($95). Getting it mounted today and hope to try it out this weekend-before the weather gets ugly with chance of snow again. Good reports on the ST forum as to performance and life of the Verge 011, even though the tread pattern doesn't look very impressive.

That is what I thought, we still have lots of sand and junk in the center lanes of our roads, and the center tread line on the Verge is basically a racing slick. I will keep my 777 on until at least the roads are clean, those tires have nice deep tread grooves.

This thread will also likely get moved to the Tires/Suspension section, where I never go for some reason.

Has anybody used Shinko Journeys? I like the tread pattern better than the Verge and their made for Wings, so a Connie would be light. I think I could squeeze a 130 on the front of my '01 and I know a 160 would fit the rear. What y'all think. 

That's what I'm running right now.  I ran a verge on the front with the journey on the back first time.  Front had some cupping when I pulled it and the rear at 8,000.  I went with journey's front and rear this time.  I have about 4,000 on them and expect the same mileage as the first set.  I like to change front and rear at the same time.  Price isn't bad.  Good for people that struggle to get the bike up on the centerstand.  I like'm.

http://www.chaparral-racing.com/product/shinko-se890-journey-tourning-radial-tire-kit/369-s-026-kit.aspx

Zorlac said:
VTconnie said:
Got a rear Verge 011 right here to mount,
So who's got the best delivered prices on those?

I got mine for $124 from Jake Wilson.com, tire came with a full plastic wrap and was clean, and not bound with tape and deformed. Mounted up and balanced easily from the looks, will get a test run out on Sunday.

Zorlac said:
VTconnie said:

Dennis Kirk had the Verge 011 for $90.34 plus $5 "tire charge" in the size for my ST1300 (170/60/17). I ordered one afternoon and had it the next afternoon.

jettawreck said:
Zorlac said:
VTconnie said:

Dennis Kirk had the Verge 011 for $90.34 plus $5 "tire charge" in the size for my ST1300 (170/60/17). I ordered one afternoon and had it the next afternoon.

That might be the best price for an ST, with that common 17''

Thanks guys!

FWIW, here are some Jake Wilson prices.

150/80B-16 (77H) Shinko 777 $85.88

150/80ZR-16 (71W) Shinko 011 Verge $124.88

150/80B-16 (77H) Michelin Commander II $143.80

150/80B-16 (77H) Dunlop Elite 4  $142.68

Scared of this new Verge 011, I am getting excessive sidewall flex and the bike handles like a noodle. I brought the PSI up to 43 cold, we'll see if there is any improvement this afternoon. The rubber is very soft and has good grip, but the rear end now rolls left and right as I enter turns..

Any experience with radials on a Connie is greatly appreciated, the Verge is on the stock 16 rear rim. I have been running radial Pilot Road 3's on the front for a long time with no problems. I think radials are designed to have larger rims and short sidewalls, on the OEM rear rim all that sidewall provides too much flex I think.

Aw crap, I started a tire thread.  Question was answered and verified by locals.  Roads here eat tires.  Now that the damage is done, anyone have experience with cruiser Dunlops?  My local Harley shop (family friend) keeps them in stock.

I'm on my 5th set of Wing 1500 sized Dunlop E3s and consistently get 20K miles from both front and rear. My bike is an 06 C10.

Tom Taylor COG#7173

only got 5K from a 777 on my Harley...on my Sportster it lasted 5K...I have another one on my Softail that may last longer...I bought that one "before" the other one burned up way too soon, otherwise I would have skipped it...

never tried on the Concours.  but shinko SR733F/SR734R lasted 20,447 front and  19,490 rear...from my log book

I got 10k plus from two sets of the Shinko SR733F/SR734R in a row on my Concours...great tire available in Gold Wing sizes...not many people know they exist...

cra-z1000 said:
Both 777's I had were squared off around 6k also . Nice tires but sure didn't last too long .

Just wondering...  Is there a better...ie, longer lasting tire you've tried?

CRocker said:
I got 10k plus from two sets of the Shinko SR733F/SR734R in a row on my Concours...great tire available in Gold Wing sizes...not many people know they exist...

damn.....I got 20k from a set of 733/734s....all highway/trip miles....

That’s awesome mileage!  Mine was mostly two-up...but, no commute miles...I changed them with a little bit of tread left...I was happy...

CRocker said:
cra-z1000 said:
Both 777's I had were squared off around 6k also . Nice tires but sure didn't last too long .

Just wondering...  Is there a better...ie, longer lasting tire you've tried?

I'm really liking the Avon 3DXM, have about 4k on them and showing little wear , back is still nice and round .

CRocker said:

Curious, what sizes did you mount exactly?

130/70-18 front and 160/80-16 rear...makes it easier to get on the center stand, too...stock GL1500 sizes...mounted on a ‘03 ZG1000...

CRocker said:
130/70-18 front and 160/80-16 rear...makes it easier to get on the center stand, too...stock GL1500 sizes...mounted on a ‘03 ZG1000...

plus almost every shop has GW sizes in stock all the time...if you need a new tire on the road somewhere that's the size ur gonna find everywhere...the stock C10 size is hit & miss...well the front is.  the rear is same as I run on my 2 of my Harleys. 

CRocker said:

160/80-16 on the rear??? You mount a white wall?

Can find 150/80-16 777 in black wall for the rear, but no 160/80.

??????????

Yeah...it happened kind of quickly...reply # 21, 22, 23... 

Really?  Whitewall...?  OK...I guess it does have a 16" rear wheel...but...really?

Went ahead and ordered a 733 front in the 130/70 size; came in yesterday. Dang!, that’s a wide puppy. You guyz sez it fits, so we’ll see next week.

I want to get a Storm 2 off the front before I head up into PA for a rally next month. Put an Elite something on the back after my last Azaro failed on me, so this 733 will now put a bias on the front.

FWIW – I have a brand new Storm 2 sitting in the wings, free for the asking; just pay shipping and it’s yours.

connieklr said:
Went ahead and ordered a 733 front in the 130/70 size; came in yesterday. Dang!, that’s a wide puppy. You guyz sez it fits, so we’ll see next week.

I want to get a Storm 2 off the front before I head up into PA for a rally next month. Put an Elite something on the back after my last Azaro failed on me, so this 733 will now put a bias on the front.

FWIW – I have a brand new Storm 2 sitting in the wings, free for the asking; just pay shipping and it’s yours.

I am retracting the above offer. The tire is date-stamped older than I thought it was. Even tho' the one on my bike has a similar date stamp and I have had no issues with it yet, I'd rather not pass it on to someone given the failure rate of Avon tires.

The new 733 has been mounted, balanced, and on the bike. Decided to do the oil and filter while it was up in the air. Will get the bike out tomorrow to scuff it in. Think we're ready for Wellsboro.

odie said:
CRocker said:

damn.....I got 20k from a set of 733/734s....all highway/trip miles....

I had to go back to find this, and pretty impressive. I've always gotten excellent mileage out of my tires, and will need to eventually replace the D404 that's on the rear now. Even with 5K on it now, it still has plenty of tread left.

I'm a 733 virgin for the front, so will probably be going the 734 route for the rear when the time comes.