• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Ship to Idaho Falls

svo68

Scooter
A few of us in VA are thinking about shipping our bikes to Idaho and flying out to meet them for the National. We are in the VERY early stages of looking at this, but would love to get enough bikes for a dedicated trailer in both directions. This is just one option. Dan is also looking into going through dealers to get the bikes out there and back. Anyone interested?? Anyone know anything about shipping bikes? Any truck drivers out there?

Go to the BikeWeek website, there are several companies that regularily haul to Sturgis and such, and have good reputations. If its not on the BikeWeek website directly, click over to the Sturgis homepage from there, and I'm pretty sure you'll find them.

And yes, if they can swing down from the north or up from the south and pick up enough bikes to pretty much fill the 52' van, the cost per bike will drop drastically.

I'm sure it goes without saying, but would imagine having all the bikes at one location for pick up would be ideal.

It would be cheaper Clayton, that I'm pretty sure of. But if the others are hundreds of miles away, it might make sense to have 2 or 3 pick up points.

I've been attempting to do the same for the Northeast region, but keep hitting stonewalls. Can't get the shipping company to commit to a price.
The biggest hurdle seems to be the fuel in the tanks, eventhough I stated that the fuel could be drained prior to shipping. I was shooting for a
Freight car, or a conex box, thinking that this could be the least expensive way for our folks. So, please keep the Phila and New York area folks
in mind!!

what about the PODS? i know some of the trucking companies would deliver them, we could load and then they pick up

Walker18 said:
I've been attempting to do the same for the Northeast region, but keep hitting stonewalls. Can't get the shipping company to commit to a price.
The biggest hurdle seems to be the fuel in the tanks, eventhough I stated that the fuel could be drained prior to shipping. I was shooting for a
Freight car, or a conex box, thinking that this could be the least expensive way for our folks. So, please keep the Phila and New York area folks
in mind!!

This is why you are having a problem. No shipping company will give you a fixed price for a vehicle, because so much depends on if Homeland Security wants the train to sit while they scan the contents, or any number of silly things. When I shipped my ZX11 to London from California, it cost half as much to send it over as to get it back. On the way over, my empty tank was empty and "dry" enough to suit them, on the way back it wasn't, and they cracked the crate open and let it air out for 3 days. All the time I was paying storage fees.

I keep saying, go to bikeweek or the actual Sturgis website, and find the advertisement for the two trucking companies who specialize in moving motorcycles long distances. In the weeks prior to Sturgis, they swing down from the NE and come through Maryland, Virigina, North Carolina, etc. and then zoom out to Sturgis.

And the price, last time I asked, is probably less than the cost of gas and food and lodging to get from Maryland (or Virginia, or PA or NY or whatever) to there.

I guess I will have to go get the information, nobody else is doing it.  :rotflmao:

EDIT:

Found one place (Shipping Masters) , actual quote to arrive by email soon, in general, $275-$575 for a single bike coast-to-coast or less. If we fill a 52' van, the price should be negotiable downward.

Checked HaulBikes, rent entire truck, A truckload is $1,800 for the first day and $1,500 a day for every day thereafter, based on 600 miles per day. So that would be 3.5 days, or $6,300 for the whole truck each way. If we got 12 bikes in it, that would be $525 each, each way. Not sure how many bikes would fit.

Personally, I'm still not sold on this option, the cost would be between $550 and $1,050 for bike transportation, round trip, plus cost for me to get there some other way. Thats too much money on the high end, but not bad on the low end.

I sold a bike to guy in NC & he used these people, picked up at my place delivered to his. HAULBIKES.com - 1-888-haulbikes all they do is haul bikes, you don't have drain anything.

Cliff  :beerchug: