• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Shoei GT Air whistle

JoeRau

Road Bike
I got my new GT Air out for a nice long ride yesterday.  I'm very impressed with it.  Nice fit, quiet, looks and feels great.  Only issue is I am getting a whistle noise that seems to come from the top vent when I get wind blowing in from the side.  Mostly when looking back over my shoulder or in a strong cross wind. 

Is this common with this helmet?  Any ideas? 

try putting some of the silicone lubricant they include with the helmet on the double-gasket around the face area

I just purchased the same helmet about a month ago.  I'm noticing some (but very few) inconsistencies regarding noise; it's far quieter than my previous Cali was.  I too will try using the silicon they provided to eliminate all noise issues.  I love the venting on the GT Air.  My one complaint for this helmet is the tightness in the cheek pads.  While I know that new cheek pads always feel a bit tight, these felt excessively so.  Replacement, smaller pads were $55.  The solution:  I took them out, spayed them with a little water and put them under my flat heavy tool box overnight.  Fixed.

What did you guys have before the GT-Air?

I have an Arai signet-q that is due for replacement, really don't want to spent close to $800 on the new one, am seriously thinking about the GT air.  Have tried one on, and I'd trade a little bit of comfort for a lot more ventilation.

Pete

I came from a Shoe x-11, which I still firmly believe flows WAY more air, and is maybe 1/4 noisier than the gt-air.
one thing I REALLY dislike about the gt-air, is that it gets a low frequency drone and sometimes a thrumming at speed with my windshield at max height.
This is WITH earplugs in, and vents open.
Has to be my height relative to my position in the saddle and the air pocket produced by my Calsci xl screen.
however, it nearly drove me mad a few times on day-long rides.

Gr

copdocpvd said:
What did you guys have before the GT-Air?

I have an Arai signet-q that is due for replacement, really don't want to spent close to $800 on the new one, am seriously thinking about the GT air.  Have tried one on, and I'd trade a little bit of comfort for a lot more ventilation.

Pete

My last lid was an HJC CR-R2.  Cheap was the only good thing about it. 
This whistle is the only complaint I have so far.  I applied the oil and will be out today for a few hundred miles to try out that fix.

on my qwest, light pressure on the top of the visor, downward will seal the visor whistle
not sure if its the same noise or area, just a thought.

I never worn the GT Air helmet, but as far as looks the "COG" is the best looking helmet I've seen in a LONG time  :beerchug:

gt-air-cog-r.jpg

JS_racer said:
on my qwest, light pressure on the top of the visor, downward will seal the visor whistle
not sure if its the same noise or area, just a thought.

Tried that too.  Still makes a whistle only when catching a cross wind.  The oil helped a bit.  Leads me to think it is the visor seal.  Not sure if it has gotten better, I'm going deaf, or learning to live with the whistle but I don't notice it as much as before. 

As for the rest of the GT Air- I love it!

I am on my 3rd season with my GT Air.  No whistles and its my favorite helmet of any that I have had since 1970 when I began riding.

Fred