• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Shoei Neotec Ride report

millsan1

Mini Bike
Hey guys.

I have always been a Shoei guy.  My last helmet was a Qwest, which I have had for a little over a year.  A couple weeks ago, it fell off the bike and put a good doink in the shell, so I decided to replace.

I had purchased a Multi-tec last year but was very unimpressed by it.  It felt flimsy.  Sold it right after buying it, never rode with it.

I have a friend in the MC business and he said he would buy a Neotec for me, and if I didn't like it, he would just keep it to sell in his shop.  He also saved me $60 off internet pricing, which is nice.

So, I ordered a Neotec in Black, XL.  I have always worn an XL Shoei.

Helmet came in and I went to look at it.  The fit is good.  A smidge snug, but that is more likely due to new helmet syndrome than anything else.  The construction is world better than the Multi-tec.  It feels solid, with no rattles or looseness, both in the open and closed position.  The flip down fighter pilot shade is very effective, easy to use and does not distort your vision at all.  I have a pretty big nose and was concerned about contact, but there is a good finger of room between my nose and the bottom of the shield, which covers my entire field of view.  The Pin Lock shield is great.  Could not get it to fog up.  The movement and operation of the chin bar is equally smooth and intuitive.

I use a SENA SMH10 for my communications and music.  I had to make slight modifications to get it to fit.  The cheekpad on the side where the base unit connects had to have the hard plastic trimmed so the wires would fit correctly.  I took out a 1/4" notch.  Nothing that shows, nor anything that effects functionality.  In order to get the boom to work easily, I removed the chin air dam.  (mesh piece under the chin bar).  I did not like the feel of that anyway and have never ridden with that piece in place on any of my helmets. 

The helmet also comes with two removable pieces of foam and plastic over the speaker locations.  I assume this is to reduce helmet noise.  There is a flat piece that goes against your ear and then a built up piece that goes into the spot where the speakers go in the helmet.  Once the speakers were in place, with the extra foam bit, the padding pressed against my ears in a way I did not like.  I removed the filler piece, leaving the flat surface, and all was well.  The plastic tabs that secure these ear pieces to the helmet do leave something to be desired.  They are a soft and the pieces do not feel solid when in place.  They never moved, but did not feel solid.  This is my only complaint about the helmet and it is almost not worth mentioning.  The speakers were very secure, using Velcro.

Everything in place, my GF and I went for a 500 mile ride this weekend.  Good mix of highway, back road burning, around town and country road cruising.  Temps form the 50s to the 70s and from sunny to foggy.  Speeds from 25 to 125.

5'10", 30" inseam, Sargent Seat, Cee Baily Euro Cut windscreen.

This is a very quiet helmet.  It is much quieter than my Qwest, which is also pretty quiet.  It was even quieter with the chin bar in the up position.  Almost silent.  I spent a majority of the time with the chin bar up and the fighter pilot shades down.  The shade control is very easy to manipulate.  The rest of the time was spent with the chin bar down and the fighter shield down.  Small amount of time with chin bar down, fighter shield up, regular shield down.

In all configurations the helmet was quiet and comfortable.

The SENA worked equally well with the chin bar up or down.  When the chin bar is up, there is some wind noise on the recipients end, but conversations were normal.  Above 75 MPH, the wind was annoying to the GF.  Anything under 50 MPH and it was not noticeable.

I have very good peripheral vision and the pin locks are just there.  Nothing bad, but I do see them.  Slightly distracting for the first hour, but then stopped noticing them after that.

The venting on the helmet is excellent.  My head was cool and comfortable the whole ride.

So in conclusion, I am very impressed with the build quality, fit and finish.  The Fighter Pilot screen is great to have.  I used it extensively.  Having the choice of riding open face when puttering or putting down highway miles, or going full face when being more aggressive is perfect for me.  I wholeheartedly endorse this helmet.  Anyone who has thought of a modular but had reservations would be well served by looking at this lid. 

Great write up thanks!  I've been looking at these online but haven't seen any real rider reviews only one magazine review.  I think I'll be getting one soon, I've got an ICON full face that's due to be replaced.  Does the helmet come with the pin lock fog insert or is that an extra purchase?

I went to Daytona this past Friday to buy the Neotec, I am currently wearing the Multitec.  They had a medium in Wine that would match my bike.  The Helmet Shop was selling this helmet for $530, not a bad price for sure.  I tried it on and it fit great, took it outside to see how well the flip down shade worked and it was about as dark as the dark smoke on the Multi.  I didn't get to ride with it, but decided I didn't need to spend $530 just for the flip down shade so I passed on it.  In a year or so I will find someone selling a like new one for $250 and snatch it up then.  It is a great helmet, I just didn't need to spend the money at this time, but I will have one one day  ;D

millsan1 said:
5'10", 30" inseam, Sargent Seat, Cee Baily Euro Cut windscreen.

Wind, when completely up, is right at top of faceshield.  I can comfortably ride with no sunglasses and faceshield open with my old helmet and this one.

I've done 80Mph with my new lid with the bikes windscreen down and the helmets chin piece in the "up" position with the clear and sunvisors down. Noisier than with chin piece down but no extra drag.  :motonoises:
Yes, you can ride with the clear visor down and the chin "up".

I have to say I am impressed with the Shark Evoline 2 and it's way cheaper than the Shoei.
I got the "Moovit" model in matt black and orange.
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/shark-evoline-2-st-moovit-helmet?gclid=COKzj87t9a4CFWwntAodwwq3IQ

This is a post I made in March on another forum after purchasing the Neotec:

After two years of extreme wind noise with my HJC IS-MAX BT Modular, I decided it was time for a new helmet. I am getting ready for a trip to flagstaff in May and wanted to have a Bluetooth communication system in my helmet, and the HJC was not going to cut it.

The requirements that I was looking for included (quiet, or as quiet as a modular can be) an internal visor, secure chin bar, and lightweight. After reading plenty of reviews, the Schubereth modular (probably the best, but also the most expensive), I decided on the new Shoei Neotec. No dealer in town had any in stock yet (wanted to try one on). I ended up ordering from Revzilla.com since they have a hassle-free return policy and they had the lowest price on the internet. I ended up with the helmet in two days and luckily the helmet fit perfectly.

The first thing I noticed was how much more this helmet sealed around my head compared to my HJC. It includes a removable breath guard as well as the Shoei Pinlock system (anti-fog) which was a separate purchase with the multitec.

I went for a 50 mile ride, and I have to say this helmet is very quiet for a modular helmet. I love the internal visor. Unlike the internal visor in my HJC that seemed to be too close to my face and rest on the top of my nose (annoying), the Neotec visor comes down farther, and does not make contact with my nose. The venting which is suppose to be the biggest improvement over the Multitec, is very impressive. Although it is not warm by any means yet, you can really feel the difference with the rear vent to allow the air to flow through the top of the helmet over the head. I will probably appreciate this more as the weather heats up.

I purchased a Cardo Scala Rider G4 for this helmet. I can take phone calls, listen to music, GPS, and intercom without having to wear earplugs. I would highly recommend this helmet to anyone looking for a quiet modular.

UPDATE - I wear ear plugs all the time, and can still hear everything through the speakers. 

Millsan, I have the same setup and the same experience. Like the helmet. How do you have your sena configured? Are you on VOX or PTT? Are you listening to music too? My other helmet (Bell) was to noisy to use VOX and listen to music. VOX was always acitivated.  Have not tried this config yet with the neotec. Are you using the stock wind sock on the mike? Thanks.

Thanks for the Neo review. I have a Multitec that I have been using for some years now and I love it. I want to upgrade mainly for the sunscreen, which really should have been included in the Multitec IMHO. As soon as money permits, a Neo will be coming my way.

I have always done PTT.  When riding with my GF we are almost always on the mic.

Yes, I do listen to music, but again, am on PTT.  Have never tried VOX.

I have a Euro Cut shield, and with that fully up, I can leave my helmet in the open configuration and talk to my GF with minimal wind noise up to about 80 MPH. 

Yes, I use the stock wind socks.

I tried on the Neotec at the Twisted Throttle open house this past weekend and it is very comfortable for the minute or so I had it on.

I like that the chinbar feels farther away from my chin then my current helmet (Multitec) does..

Saving up the cash now,  sadly this is not an inexpensive lid :(

I have a Neotec on the way as of Monday (also after trying the helmet on a Twisted Throttle). I right now have a Nolan N100E, N103, Shoei Multitech, HJC IS-BT and probably a few more. I tend to like the Nolan's a little better (except for the shield staying up). The Multitec is a good helmet. I use it now and then, but prefer the N103 most of the time. So my main helmet has been my N103. But I'm looking forward to trying this Neotec out. It feels better than the Multitech ever did. So hopefully it will work for me. It better for all that money.

Hey Bob, where did you find the best price on the Neotec? I have a Multi, and it is the best fit for my head, just getting a little used....
I tried on the Neo at the bike show, and it fits just as nice. I really want it mainly for the sunscreen which I wish they would have incorporated in the Multi.

I didn't do an exhaustive search. But I looked around a little and went with Dennis Kirk. It cost me $596.69 shipped. Maybe not the cheapest  since I did see a couple advertising a few dollars cheaper. But then it can be a hassle like call for prices or on back order. DK had it in stock and I knew the price (which was pretty much the same as the competition). So rather than wasting a lot of time to save maybe $10. I just bought from a company the I've dealt with many times.

Well the Neotech is here. I like it a lot so far. But I haven't taken it for A RIDE YET. Maybe tomorrow.  :)

Good to know on DK, they are about an hour from me. I look forward to hearing your impression after riding.

OK, I had a good 150 mile ride today to test out my new Neotech. Let me say first that I agree with the OP post, that this is much better than the Multitech I have (and do not use much). The fit and finish on this helmet are excellent.
    The Neotech is a pretty quiet helmet. I tried it with ear buds for the first half, then no ear buds for the second half. This helmet is pretty quiet for a flip up. With the windshield all the way up it was very quiet. With the shield down and out in the wind, still fairly quiet. Of course there is some wind directed at my helmet off the lowered windshield. So a smaller windshield (or a taller Bob) might have been quieter yet. If I sat up a little straighter, it quieted down even more. So on a naked bike, this would be very good in the wind.
  I also noticed that with the shield slightly opened or closed it stayed fairly quiet (windshield down). But I noticed that if I closed the front lower vent, it made it much quieter yet. The upper vent didn't seem to have as much of an effect on wind noise. So all in all I find this helmet to be quieter than any of the modulator that I already have. (Nolan N103, Shoei Multitech for ex.)
  The venting is excellent on this helmet. The vents are also the easiest to open and close out of any helmet I have used. Air flow was excellent on both the lower and upper vents. (although the lower vent does add a little wind noise, but still good when open). The rear vent is the only vent that wasn't the simplest to open or close. The switch is harder to find than the inlet vents. Although I did not have much problem using it once I located it with my glove. Of course this is probably the only helmet I have that used a rear vent switch (that I can remember). So all in all ventilation is excellent on my Neotech.
    The helmet isn't the lightest helmet out there for a modular. But it wears very light on my head. It probably feels like the lightest I've had. So I am very happy with the way it felt. I have a odd sized head. I fit between a medium and a large. So larges are normally slightly loose on me and mediums are normally a bit too snug. So this time I went with the large which may be a slightly loose helmet (down the road). I can slightly move it on my head if I try. But the helmet was very comfortable and soft to wear. (better than the multitech or Nolan N103). Although I do like the Nolan as well.
  I found there to be more room in this helmet between the chin bar and my chin than other modulars I have. And the large size doesn't hurt here either. But I think that had I gotten the medium, it would still fit well. Just tighter. The Neotech goes on tight (like my Multitech, only a little easier because it's a large). Like my Multitech, it's hard to put the Neotech on with sun glasses on. Where I can do it with ease using the Nolan N103. So I might find myself having to put them on afterwards and get them in the right spot. Although Shoei has made channels in the helmet for glasses, so they do not squeeze our ears and make them soar. I like this a lot, even if putting the glasses on might be harder.
    The internal sun visor works very well and does not come close to my face/nose as my other helmets with the internal visor (Nolan N103, HJC IS-BT) The Nolan is good, But the HJC annoys me. The Shoei internal shield has a simple/smooth function. It gives you room and good coverage. I can see this being a welcome advancement over the Multitech. I think it probably will be my favorite internal visor now.
  The Neotech visor gives very good visibility (on par with my other helmets) But probably not as good as what I hear about the new Nolan N104. But I haven't tried that and probably won't be now either.  The truth be told, I have always liked Shoei's visors better than other brand visors. The Shoei removes on and off quick. (others, like my N103, are now also good) But the shoei really shines with it's mechanisms. Shoei's will stay in the position you want them in. Where as a lot of other helmets (like Nolan) slam shut way too easily. There are times when I want my visor open one notch or more. The Shoei will almost always stay open, where as my N103 will slam shut with moderate wind speed. This was always an advantage that the Multitech had over the N103. Yet I still would take the N103 over the Multitech most of the time. SO I'm happy to have the Shoei mechanism on this helmet as well.
  I did not notice any pressure spots with this helmet. It being a large may help, but all my other helmets have a little pressure somewhere. Where as this Neotech fits me very well. I can see this being much more comfortable on long days. A comfortable fit, wearing light and the eye glass channels, and the reduced noise, will make for much more comfortable days on the road.
    The latching system is top notch and you can tell it's a quality piece. The opening latch is easy to find as is the visor tab. All the functions are probably as good or better as a whole (or individually for that matter) than my other helmets. So the Neotech is also easy to navigate and use it's features.
    I noticed that it may be harder to install speakers inside the Neotech because of the helmet design. So it may be hard to run a wire out. That may force using blue tooth in the future. But I actually like the cord. So this may take some investigating. I'm not much on ear buds because it's too easy to pull them and ruin their position in my ear. Where speakers and plugs do not give me this trouble.
  Hopefully I didn't leave much out. All in all I am impressed with this helmet. After one day, it has already become my favorite helmet. It's biggest downside is still the price. But I have spent a lot of money trying to find the right helmet. So the money spent on this Neotech might not be as expensive as I might think.  :)

Great report Cap'n Bob! I have been seriously looking for a nice modular helmet and the Neotech in particuliar. Only thing holding me back was the price. Even though it is high priced it seems the quality is first rate. I am happy that you reported that the wind noise was very good for this Modular helmet. I have a Shoei RF1000 right now and really like it. I may take the plunge and go for Neotech too. Any other comments as you continue to wear this helmet are welcomed.  :motonoises: