• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Short bolts for removing air deflectors

joer53

It seems that somewhere I heard, read, or saw that there are some shorter bolts somewhere under the fairing to replace the regular bolts so you can remove the air deflectors on the fairing.  I can't find them on mine, but I bought it used, does anyone know where I might find them hidden on the bike?

IIRC, They are stored in the deflectors themselves! Remove the deflectors and flip them upside down. They should be right in there!

Thanks for the quick replies!  Mine have disappeared, time for a trip to the hardware store.

Only the early '08's came with the additional hardware. Sometime in the first year Kawasaki stopped supplying those bolts. Your bolts may have been lost or were never on the bike to begin with depending on when it was made.

Brian

JoeR said:
Thanks for the quick replies!  Mine have disappeared, time for a trip to the hardware store.

I'm curious how you know this Brian? More inside information that the rest of us don't seem to be aware of. You do come in handy with this stuff now and then, don't you!  ;)

BDF said:
Only the early '08's came with the additional hardware. Sometime in the first year Kawasaki stopped supplying those bolts. Your bolts may have been lost or were never on the bike to begin with depending on when it was made.

Brian

I remember the entire discussion from way back in '08 on the other forum.

The key is: 'See, know, remember.' If you do that, you can avoid all sorts of nasty things in the future. For example, if you are standing, say, at a Yamaha dealer, and you SEE an FJR, and you REMEMBER that they have the ole' ticking problem, and you KNOW that the fix requires a new head, you could avoid buying one in the first place. Just as a quick example you understand, I am not saying people should not buy Feejers.... exactly.

:rotflmao:

Brian

Cap'n Bob said:
I'm curious how you know this Brian? More inside information that the rest of us don't seem to be aware of. You do come in handy with this stuff now and then, don't you!  ;)

BDF said:

Brian

Now Brian, this is not the first time you have mentioned this ticking. The funny part is that I have yet to ever hear it on my bike. No just a smooth running motorcycle that is everything my C14 was not, dependable and well made!  ;)
I also know a few close friends who also ride FJR's. Other than the 06 having a heavy throttle spring. None of them has ever had any problems or issues of any kind with their FJR's. None of them have had a problem with ticking on  their bikes either. And none of them have been stranded by their FJR's or needed any kind of warranty repairs other than a recall! Too bad all of us C14 owners can't say that.
The blue 2006 FJR you rode with to Mt. Washington has had nothing other than routine maintenance and a recall. He's never had any of his own issues that required warranty work. Nope just tires, oil, etc. for 50K or so miles. Can you say that about your C14 Brian? Not a chance!  ;)
No, you bought a C14 and now try to blow sunshine up peoples butts on how good the quality is on it. But unfortunately it's not! At least not on yours or mine. If it was, you wouldn't have a lot more warranty claims than probably any other C14 owner. Yeah your bike has such quality over these supposed junk FJR's!  :rotflmao:
As for my FJR, let me see, oil, tires, oil filters. No problems, no recalls, no strandings in this first year. How does that compare to my Kawasaki C14? KIPASS issues, strandings, recalls, unreliability. And that started out in the first few thousand miles. And it go steadily worse with time and miles!!!!  Yeah my FJR was such a mistake!!!!  :))
Now I don't like to come on a Concours site and disrespect the Concours. But unfortunately I have to point things out now in then in response to others postings!  :mad:

BDF said:
I remember the entire discussion from way back in '08 on the other forum.

The key is: 'See, know, remember.' If you do that, you can avoid all sorts of nasty things in the future. For example, if you are standing, say, at a Yamaha dealer, and you SEE an FJR, and you REMEMBER that they have the ole' ticking problem, and you KNOW that the fix requires a new head, you could avoid buying one in the first place. Just as a quick example you understand, I am not saying people should not buy Feejers.... exactly.

:rotflmao:

Brian

Cap'n Bob said:

BDF said:

Brian

Well it seems that you have spent so much time on your anti- Kawasaki agenda that you have neglected to spiff-up on what you are currently riding. But hey, what are friends for if we can't help each other. Let me see if I can help out here a bit....

http://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=18163
New information, including recorded sound files of FJR's and their ticking valve trains. I guess it takes a bit of effort to separate the abnormal, broken noises from the normal Feejer noises.  :)

http://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=137181
Here is 26 pages about the ground faults and associated recall on FJRs.

http://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=135171
This is just a touch 'o information about FJRs that crank fast and will not start. They even have a name for this: "Fast starter syndrome"

http://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=27244
This here is a little ditty on the recall and associated problems with the ECU at altitudes higher than sea level.

http://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=122278
A bit of info. on the throttle position failures and the associated recall.

http://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=113791
One of my favorites, an ignition switch recall on a bike without KiPass.  :)) :rotflmao:

http://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=125614
This one is about the MPG reading being stuck at 17.

http://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=26098
A short, 17 page thread about the ignition failures on FJR.... I bet those make one wish for the 17 MPH readout problem, eh?

Now I just don't have the time to post the 115 pages of thread TITLES in the tech. problem section on that Feejer forum so I only choose the PINNED threads! You know, the threads about problems so many others will want to come back to again and again.

Here Kitty, Kitty.
<chuckle, chuckle>

Brian

Cap'n Bob said:
Now Brian, this is not the first time you have mentioned this ticking. The funny part is that I have yet to ever hear it on my bike. No just a smooth running motorcycle that is everything my C14 was not, dependable and well made!  ;)

Is that the best you can do in 15 minutes is tell me what others have said in the past?  :rotflmao:  Yeah I've read most of them. But I will say that the FJR forums are too boring and too serious. It's not fun like these forums.

OK go get some sleep now and we can play in a few days. From the other post I just read, you need to rest up. And good luck with the trip. I'll talk to you in a few days!  :)

Still off topic:

Oh yeah, did you notice there's a captain Bob on that forum already? And I don't mean me. I used me older name back when I joined that forum!

That's AWESOME!  Now Ki-Pass can make you younger too!
(using your older name on the FJR Boards must mean you use your younger name on the C14 Boards?)

Rawman said:
That's AWESOME!  Now Ki-Pass can make you younger too!
(using your older name on the FJR Boards must mean you use your younger name on the C14 Boards?)

I see your point!  :))