• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Short guy wants a C14!

middie26

Big Wheel
Hey, gang.. This is my first post here (so,  ^-^)...

I'm looking for my first sport-touring bike, but there is a drawback that is annoying me.. My height!  I'm only 5'5 with about a 28" inseam.. I tried sitting on the C14 at the dealer, but I couldn't even tippy toe the thing!  It was amusing seeing me get on and off the bike.

So, my questions are as follows:

1.  How much can the bike be "safely" lowered?  How would this be accomplished?
2.  I keep hearing that putting one foot down is completely acceptable (the one cheek, one toe method).  Thoughts? 
3.  Who else on here is vertically challenged and how did you overcome this?

Thanks!!!!

Well even I'm not that short!  :mad:  Anyway, they do make lowering dog bones to lower the bike. Some guys use them, some tried them and didn't like them. But they may help. A lower seat like a Corbin will lower you about an inch. Then you could always wear boots with tall soles and heels. I personally like the Red Wing Logger boots. They help also. That's just a few ideas for you. Whether it will help you make a decision or not, who knows! Good luck with your decision and above all,  welcome to the forum!  :welcome:

Sorry Middie but I think you'd be better off building yourself an ST bike starting from a bike that you can ride comfortably.
The C14 is a hefty beast when stationary and you will never manage to flatfoot it with both feet without seriously compromising the handling and ground clearance.

A friend who is 5'6" has an FZ600 that he had slightly lowered (dogbones) and with a lower wider tractor shape seat.
He fitted a Powerbronze Voyager full fairing and Givi sidebags and trunk.
Yes, it's chain drive but he can flatfoot it most of the time and it will do 90Mph all day.
It's also pretty quick in the twisties and can stay with my C14 except on the longer straights.

His next project is to use an FZ1 or maybe a Z1000 as the base bike.

Well there's always the other option....

punk-boots.jpg

I was just able to buy an '08 with only 2000 miles.  The reason is that the prior owner (@5' 6'') even after lowering the bike and getting a lower Sargent seat could not ride it comfortably.  When I test drove it  as he had lowered it, I almost walked away the handling was so poor.  Came back and tested it after it was put back to stock and it was a different bike.  I can't imagine trying to back this thing up without having good footing. 

I know a guy who lowered his either an inch and a half or two inches and he likes it. I saw a guy on a Gold Wing stopped at a light with both feet on tip toes!  :eek:
It's all in what you're comfortable with.

Well, I'm 5'5" with about a 28 to 29" inseam, and I'm riding mine at the stock height.  I put on the first 12K miles with the stock seat.  I do wear boots, not tennis shoes, but they don't add more than 1/2" to my height.

When I first sat on the C14 (back in '08), I had on tennis shoes, and could barely touch the ground.  Same thing when the '09 came out and I sat on it.  Then for whatever reason, I was wearing my hiking boots when I stopped by to check out the 2010.  I could just get the balls of my feet to touch, and decided I probably could ride it (at the time, I though Kawi lowered the 2010, but they didn't).

Make no mistake, the bike is heavy, so I'm always on guard and extra cautious when on it and moving it around.  I also take advantage of tire ruts at stop lights, avoid any sand or gravel in parking lots, always have the front tire up hill when parking, and avoid any sudden low speed maneuvering situations.

If you get one, there are a few other things you can do, like put a 180/55 rear tire on (I haven't, but new tires make me stretch more), put the ZX 14 dog bones on, and change the seat pan.  Just putting a lower profile seat doesn't help, since the pan forces your thighs apart more, and there is no gain at the inseam height.  Also, add some tip over bars in case it does fall.

The nice thing about being small and light on the C14 is the bike doesn't even know you're there.  Makes it go faster!  ;D

If you have any more questions, let me know, I would be happy to help.  ;)

Its a very tall bike I cant flat foot it myself and im 5-11.
I would consider any thing but the c-14.
Lowering links really change the geometry of swing arm and not for the better.

Every bike I have owned in the last 15 years or so has been too tall for me.  I have 27"ish inseam.  I just ride the bike like a dirt bike.  Sliding to one side or the other when stopping.  Not ideal of course but my riding style doesn't fit cruisers.  Too much scraping going on there.  I guess it will come down to what you want and what is an acceptable comfort level for you.  Good luck deciding how to procede.