• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

SHORT LEGS - TIMBER!

taratica

Training Wheels
:)And so, I'm 5'8" and it's all back. My feet barely touch the ground when it is flat.

A few months ago, I was setting up to pull out of the parking lot of the 7/11 in Linton, OR. I was about to go, and then I hesitated. I know! Never hesitate! My bike stopped with one wheel in the parking lot and the other in the bike lane...with a very steep grade in the middle. :rotflmao:

Needless to say, I tried to find the ground - without success - and then I let myself fall (making sure to get my legs out of the way). It was hilarious! But, only because I have crash bars, front and back - so no damage - and I did not get hurt!

A poor trucker had seen it all and came running up to help me. He must have been very confused, because I was laughing:)

Another time, about a month ago, I clipped a deer coming into Linton. Dear Lord! I love ABS and traction control! I saw the deer; the deer saw me! We narrowly 'almost' missed colliding, but collide we did. I hit its rump and it urinated all over the front of the bike, leaving a hair or two before disappearing up the side of the road. I did NOT drop the bike. I did stop, to check for damage and any sign of the deer. None on both counts!

I put my survival down to skill and constant vigilance. I don't ride if I feel groggy or distracted.

Good for you having canyon cages.  I don't know what to say for short legs, except it's better than no legs? I am 6'4" so I don't know what it is like. Tall people bump their heads more? :rotflmao:

Tara is cool  :great: :great: :great:

Hi,
        Your seat can effect your ride height more than just how "thick" it is but also how "wide" as the wider the more it keeps your legs up! ::)

You might want to call Seth Lamm and tell him whats going on as I have seen where he has helped other people get their feet on the ground! ;D

Attachments

• tumblr_m994e45aqn1rebw33o1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_m994e45aqn1rebw33o1_1280.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 127
Well I am sure glad you didn't get hurt!  And Acisroc is right - you wouldn't believe how many of these notes include the fact that the rider had the cages sitting in the garage waiting to be installed - congrats to you for having them already on the bike!  Your event does qualify as a Drop and your incident does qualify you for the CDA Award except for one thing.

You need to be a full COG member.  Don't worry, we don't make you drop her again after you've joined in order to qualify!  Most folks join if they hang around a while and like what we do here, so just drop me a line after that happens and we'll add you to the roster.

Just to avoid confusion, here are the instructions: How to Convert from Forum Subscriber to Full COG Membership

And here's where to Renew

Thank you, ChipDoc, ACISROC and seagiant1:)

I'm working on losing some of my thigh girth, so we'll see how much longer my legs get then:) :motonoises: I did not realize that there was an award for dropping your bike:) I will think about becoming a full time member. I'm usually not very involved in forums, but we will see where this goes. So far it has been a good ride! ;D

Tara said:
I will think about becoming a full time member. I'm usually not very involved in forums, but we will see where this goes. So far it has been a good ride! ;D
Actually the forum is just a tiny part of what COG does, Tara.  This is an actual club which focuses on riding.  What's more, unlike most similar situations, we ride in small groups rather than big ones - it promotes both safety and camaraderie. 

Check out the NorthWest section of Rallies, Rides, and Events section of the board and meet some of them.  Check out a RTE (Ride To Eat) some weekend. 

http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php?board=45.0

I realize that the most active motorcycling season in the greater Portland area is obout to shut down, but there's a Get-Together next Saturday and Sunday (yep, on Halloween weekend) at the International Motorcycle Show.  This quote is from the calendar.  The link below is to the local discussion in the NorthWest thread.
IMS is in Portland, OR, this year. The dates are Oct 31st- Nov 1st. Two days only, Saturday and Sunday. Buy tickets online here- http://www.motorcycleshows.com/city/portland-or Meet us for luunch on Saturday at high noon. We'll be at the Red Robin, 1139 NE Grand Ave, Portland, OR 97232.

http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php?topic=61981.0

There's a National Rally every year at sites around the country.  There's even a partnership with a Concours group in Europe; every other year we invite them to our National Rally, on opposite years they invite us to Europe.  There's even a beautiful full-color glossy magazine - the Concourier!

So you see, this is WAY more than just the forum.  The forum is just a convenient way to get to know one another and meet up for riding.  And almost all of it is open to you, whether you're a member or not.  Membership fees are a way of supporting the club, not a requirement for admission.  Most folks join once they decide they like what we do around here... but we encourage you to participate in the Get-Togethers and the Forum.  It's how you get to know us and become a member of our little family.

Glad to have you with us, Tara!