• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

side stand switch

oldsawfiler

Crotch Rocket
OK, there have been many threads on the side stand switch and a disabled concours. My problem is the opposite. I can ride off with the side stand down. Tried lubing it with no change other than it is easier to put it up and down. Any suggestions. Remembering to put it up is problematic with my senior moments.

The side stand switch works by grounding a signal line from the igniter when the stand is up. If the switch is stuck closed, or the wires are shorted to ground, the igniter will not cut out. Try disconnecting the switch, and see if the engine quits when you start moving. If it does, the problem is the switch. If the engine doesn't quit, then check the switch on the clutch lever. It works the same way as the side stand switch, grounded when the lever is pulled. With the engine running, disconnect the clutch switch (can't start with this switch disconnected). The engine should quit as soon as you put the bike in gear. If the engine is still running, then you need to check the wires for shorts. At the side stand switch, should be 12 volts on the brown wire, and the black/yellow wire should be ground. At the clutch, 12 volts on the yellow/green wire, ground on the black/yellow. It is most likely one of the switches, but if this all checks out, give another shout-out, and we can go on to the j-box/igniter wiring. Best of luck to you!