• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Side Stand Wobble

dhgeyer

Big Wheel
I've got a blue 2006 with about 21000. I've noticed that the sidestand has some play in it, side to side. When I lean the bike over on the sidestand, the foot of the sidestand often slides out about an inch or so, maybe a little less. I've taken it apart and looked at everything, and don't see any undue wear and tear on anything, but it is quite a loose fit on the stud, or whatever that would be called. The pivot bolt is fine. With the bike on the centerstand and the sidestand in the down position, I can move it up and down maybe 3/4" to an inch. Has this ever been a problem? Has one ever broken, resulting in a fall? That's all I'm concerned about. Thanks! Dave Geyer COG# 8542

Mine was the same when I got it last year and I didn't like it. I took some of the play out by removing the side stand and tightening it in a vice to take out some of the play and when installing it back I used a washer with the bolt, which I believe is a shouldered bolt and will only tighten up so much. With the addition of the washer most of the play was taken out and I'm much happier with the way it feels now. Joe 1968 Honda 160 Scrambler, Sold / 1979 Kawasaki SR 650, Traded in for next one, 1978 Kawasaki KZ 1000 Z1R Turbo / 1986 Kawasaki ZX 1000R Ninja / 1999 Kawasaki Concours COG memb# 8645

never really noticed until i read your post. WOW!!! i put it down while parked on the center stand and at the foot i've got like an inch and a half. definitely don't like that. i try to use the center stand as much as possible anyway.

What you are describing sounds normal. I haven't seen any break in the past but I'm sure that someone will let you know if theirs did. If this makes you feel any better it is possible to spin the bike around on the side stand.

New and first time guest here...I did the following to both my '95 and recently to my '2000...I went to my local Kawa dealer service depart and talked with the service guys...looking for a newer Kawa zx12??sidestand bolt. "Come'on guys you must have some old bolts sitting around in your bolt coffee can from old projects that you worked on...." I miked the bolt that they came up with and provided and when I found that bolt that was MM larger diameter than the Concours OEM bolt I would use that bolt to replace the OEM bolt. Next I drilled out larger, the side stand bolt plate(attached to frame)hole to accomodate the larger bolt as well as drill out larger, the the side kickstand hole too. This basically took away any oblong wear of the Concours side stand hole. On my '2000 I also had to cut the length of the replacement bolt down to match OEM bolt length and then machined down and rethread the end (threaded part)of the bolt to match up the OEM bolt. I reused my existing nut. Sounds like allot of things to do but it really was not to bad and the project went quicky. The results were that with the larger MM section of the bolt placed in the new drilled out hole,the wobble is gone and the side stand perfectly lines up the kill switch too. The sidestand looks and performs as if it was new again. I did take off the exhaust on the side kickstand side to have more room with the drill when drilling out the bolt hole on the plate that is attached to the frame. On both the bikes it took about 5 years for the wobble (oblong hole) to be so bad that it caused me concern... that's my fix.

This is normal and as long as the nut is tightened there shouldn't be any isssues. If you "need" to tighten it up then the washer trick is the way to go. AKA "2linby" That's 2-lin-by folks! Northwest Area Director COG #5539 AMA #927779 IBA #15034 TEAM OREGON MC Instructor 133K and counting! http://community.webshots.com/user/2linby http://tinyurl.com/njas8 (IBA BunBurner Gold Trip) http://tinyurl.com/lwelx (Alaska trip)