• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

So I seized the rear spring preload adjuster today

Glennn

Moped
G'day All,

Just thought I would post a little something in case it helps someone one day.

Basically I was trying to set the preload on the rear suspension when it was getting tighter and tighter and tighter to turn until it was completly jammed and I knew I was nowhere near it's limit.  Couldn't go forward, couldn't go back.  Getting an oil filter strap wrench on there could move it, but no hope by hand even with taking the pillion footpeg mount off. Only two weeks old and I already screwed something.

:mad:

Was panicking for a little while as searches on the forum only showed people taking it to dealers who wouldn't say how it was sorted. But as a last resort I decided to shoot some Inox (which is a penetrating anti-sieze and lubricant spray) up under the black knob. Once more with the strap wrench to break it loose and then I was finally able to to turn it by hand again.  Spent the next little while twisting it out, spray, twist it in, spray, etc etc etc to really soak it.  Have to be careful with overspray on this stuff as you DON'T want it on your brake rotors (DAMHIK). Now it's fine and turns easlily, no hint of jamming.

So hoping this might help others who do the same one day. 

Oh and if your interested to see what happens when the preload is in or out I have attached a couple of pics - just cause.

Attachments

• preload-softest.JPG
    preload-softest.JPG
    157.9 KB · Views: 96
  • preload-hardest.JPG
    preload-hardest.JPG
    168.2 KB · Views: 95
  • inox.JPG
    inox.JPG
    193.6 KB · Views: 60
Seems to have happened quite often. It happened to me within the first few weeks also, but I got it fixed by the dealer in just a few minutes. I preferred that they do it just in case the issue ever came up again, I'd have a good story that it was defective and should EVER cost me anything to replace it since they didn't replace it when I brought it in. Maybe wishful thinking, but ... ...

I used DrySlide spray from Liquid wrench on mine and it's smooth as silk now and has stayed that way.

31k5Uz6C5bL._SL250_.jpg

wally_games said:
Seems to have happened quite often. It happened to me within the first few weeks also, but I got it fixed by the dealer in just a few minutes.
That's the common scenario I was reading.  I initially thought my inability to not turn the adjuster beyond a certain point was fatigue in my hand from not riding for so long, but nup, she was jammed like so may others posted.

Glennn said:
wally_games said:
Seems to have happened quite often. It happened to me within the first few weeks also, but I got it fixed by the dealer in just a few minutes.
That's the common scenario I was reading.  I initially thought my inability to not turn the adjuster beyond a certain point was fatigue in my hand from not riding for so long, but nup, she was jammed like so may others posted.

I haven't taken one apart to see what it's made out of, but I suspect the problem is thread galling due to material selection.

I had the same problem on my 10 model. Dealer replaced complete shock under warranty
Kawasaki wanted the old one back, but nothin g more heard. ;)

Fred_Harmon_TX said:
I haven't taken one apart to see what it's made out of, but I suspect the problem is thread galling due to material selection.
I was very close to punching through a pin located on the back of the adjuster which then should have let me pop the black knob off, but with the bike so new I didn't want to chance screwing things further.