• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

*SOLD* 2wire 2701HG-B DSL modem/router, AT&T branded, used, $35 shipped

bigjoeva68

Road Bike
Don't know if anyone can use this as an upgrade, but I will throw it out here before going to E-bay. Used, excellent shape, don't need it since I moved from Texas to a place with existing service. It has 4 wired ports plus built in WIFI.

I seem to have lost the instruction book in the move, but it is available online here: http://www.2wire.com/pages/pdfs/2701HG_user_guide.pdf

I have no idea if it will work with the buyer's system, so buyer beware.

$35 shipped.

Ignore that it is a DSL MODEM/Router...  Turn off local DHCP and this can be an inexpensive AP/switch for someone looking to expand or add WiFi coverage to their home network.

I have that same modem/router which is about 3 years old.  I am experiencing a great deal of outages and ATT has replaced my line to my house 4 times and checked lines from there to Yugoslavia and back without dcuring my issues.  Personally, I kind of think that my 2 wire may be suspect.  It has been dropped a few times.  Do you think mine could be my problem?  I've considered buying another modem.router, but havn't yet. 

I could buy yours, you could buy a C-14 with the money, and then ride it over so we could check it out.  What say ye?

I can send it to ya to see if that is the problem, and if it works seal the deal. I will put it in a box tomorrow.  :beerchug:

On the other item, if you see a C14 for $35, let me know ASAP.  :motonoises:

Edited to add: Oh, before I send it, have you replaced the telephone line filters? I know many people who have problems with DSL because the filters go bad or are bad from the factory since they are typically Chinese made crap. One bad filter can make your interweb connection go to heck real fast.

This reminds of years ago when ISDN was the hot residential broadband product. When I got it, the telephone company had to replace filters for half the apartment complex before they found mine, it was really a mess. Plus they had to pull the socket out of the wall and take something out there too.

And still, every time it rained, my connection would drop, until I wrote a letter to the Alabama Public Utilities Commission which was the legal entity granting ISDN tariffs in Alabama, and they told Bell South to fix their plant (ISDN infrastructure) in Huntsville or they'd lose the ISDN tariff.

About 3 weeks later it rained cats and dogs again, part of a tornado event, and my connection stayed up strong, and never went bad again.

BigJoeVA68 said:
I can send it to ya to see if that is the problem, and if it works seal the deal. I will put it in a box tomorrow.  :beerchug:

On the other item, if you see a C14 for $35, let me know ASAP.  :motonoises:

Edited to add: Oh, before I send it, have you replaced the telephone line filters? I know many people who have problems with DSL because the filters go bad or are bad from the factory since they are typically Chinese made crap. One bad filter can make your interweb connection go to heck real fast.
Actually, I have no land line instruments connected, so no filters are in place.  But yes, we DID try changing filters and ultimately removed the phone system altogether, removing every outlet in the house so that only the DSL outlet remains.  REally, we have been trying for about a year to get it cleared up.  SOme days it drops out and is on and off every three minutes, other days it goes all day without a hiccup.  WE even had a few weeks recently that it was perfect, but now it is so bad you cannot watch a 30 minute Netflix show in two or three hours for dropping out requiring rebooting the stem and the TV, etc.  AT&T hates me as I have had them there dozens of times.  As I said, they have replaced the undergroud line from property line to the house four times and chased for miles down the highway looking for "noise" that might interrupt the signal.  THey tell me it's as clean as can be, that my signal strength is as good as it gets, but then they go home and it drops out again.

Do you remember my address?

Since I ain;t likely to find a 14 for less than $47.50, I'll just paypal ya. LOL    Is that OK? Check?  Credit Card?  Free kitten? What?  ;D

Privateer said:
This reminds of years ago when ISDN was the hot residential broadband product. When I got it, the telephone company had to replace filters for half the apartment complex before they found mine, it was really a mess. Plus they had to pull the socket out of the wall and take something out there too.

And still, every time it rained, my connection would drop, until I wrote a letter to the Alabama Public Utilities Commission which was the legal entity granting ISDN tariffs in Alabama, and they told Bell South to fix their plant (ISDN infrastructure) in Huntsville or they'd lose the ISDN tariff.

About 3 weeks later it rained cats and dogs again, part of a tornado event, and my connection stayed up strong, and never went bad again.
Some good while back I had a thread about my AT&T woes.  It has remained a real problem.  My wife takes online graduate classes with University of Houston, but has to go to the church to use the DSL here since my house is too unreliable.  WHen you're taking a timed test and the signal drops, you are locked out of the test.  After the frist three times they refuse to let her back in again.  Yeah, it's been a problem.

Rev Ryder said:

Since I ain;t likely to find a 14 for less than $47.50, I'll just paypal ya. LOL    Is that OK? Check?  Credit Card?  Free kitten? What?  ;D

Got your addy, but don't paypal unless it actually works. I am going to factory reset it today and mail it tomorrow. No kittens!! LOL!

BigJoeVA68 said:
Rev Ryder said:

Got your addy, but don't paypal unless it actually works. I am going to factory reset it today and mail it tomorrow. No kittens!! LOL!

Obscenely old Spider monkey?
Low mileage hoot owl?

Rev Ryder said:
Low mileage hoot owl?

We got a zoo here already, so I will pass on the animals! LOL!

Put it in the mail at lunch, let me know when you get it and if it works. I had no issues communicating with it and factory resetting it, so it should work fine if that is really what is causing your problems.

BigJoeVA68 said:
Rev Ryder said:
Low mileage hoot owl?

We got a zoo here already, so I will pass on the animals! LOL!

Put it in the mail at lunch, let me know when you get it and if it works. I had no issues communicating with it and factory resetting it, so it should work fine if that is really what is causing your problems.
THanks Big Joe, but I still needs to pay you.  I'm not convinced that the router/modem is my issue either, however, rebooting it ALWAYS restores my connection.  I'm still not 100% convinced.  But if it does, I'll pay extry.  ;D

And a baby alligator.  WE gots em up to 8 ft here in town.

Joe, the two wire is here.  Honestly I just don;t feel like hooking it up right now and just want to pay ya. OK?  If it doesn't fix it, I have a back up. 10-4?

EDIT TO ADD:  But I need a good email addy for that please.