• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Solvent for cleaning out front forks??

wantabeach

Billy said:
Hi Drew, I'm in the process of servicing my front end at this time. In my own opinion, if you want to be certain about getting all the crud out, you should take the forks apart. My sliders had about a teaspoon of nearly solid crud in the bottom. Also, I'm installing sonics on my front end, so I'll take some measurements of the springs I've got so you can compare. The spacer length you've got is the same as mine (7 1/8"). My spring rate is 1.2kg/mm. I chose that spring rate because I'm about 230 lbs and can be an aggressive rider when the wife isn't on the back.
Cheers , Bill.

I know this one is old but I’m about to install sonic 1.1 and I weight about 225. Considered the 1.2 but thought they would be too firm. What say you?  We are about the same weight. Do you tour and carry extra weight and does that make it feel different / better? 

Thanks Paul.

All, I've got a leaking seal so I'm going to take em apart shortly, the stock springs are super weak, I'm in need of a 1.2 according to ye old Racetech spring calculator (200lbs very quick rider).  Racetech doesn't carry 1.2s, is the vendor listed in the previous posts reasonably priced and of good quality? I have the option of having custom wound progressive springs made but they're a bit pricey.

Murphskits sell the Sonic 1.2kg springs.
As for solvent, I use brake cleaner when rebuilding my forks.

when I go into "clean/rebuild" mode on forks, I dump everything, and pour in simple kerosene.. and pump them up and down.. dump/repeat a couple times... then disassemble.. after I do that, I blow them off, and clean using BrakeKleen aerosol, and wiping things down, I refrain from getting that on the "seals " tho.. afterwards, when assembling, I use fresh fork oil, as a lube, and coat anything that comes in contact with another part using that, and then refill..

I just use an oz or 2 of regular gas, not premium, to many chemicals.
I just pour it in, work the fork up & down a few times, put my hand
over the open end and slosh it around a bit. Pour it out, save for starting
grill later. Then with a blow gun with a two foot long nozzle blow it out.
Neighboors don't come over anymore when I fire up the grill, more
burgers for me.

Wantabeach, if your planning to do the clean without removing the fork tubes??
Buy the cheapest Automatic transmission fluid you can find.
Suck the oil out, add ATF, close tubes and exercise the forks {without springs}, then suck the ATF out.
Repeat several times as needed; and then add the Fork Oil of your choice.
NOTE: ATF and Fork Oil are both non foaming hydraulic fluid's so there will be no residual "solvent" in the tubes when your done..

This method is not as good as removing tubes etc, but ok for a quick oil change.

Ride safe, Ted