• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Sorry to Report, but I earned it.

connman

Tricycle
As I parked my Barnie purple connie at the All Clubs Day in Stockbridge, MI - SEPTEMBER 20th  I had my left handle bar break loose.  I had noticed a bit of a jiggle previously and fully intended to investigate the problem, but it broke first. Fortunately had my dad with me, driving his dependable 84 Gold Wing, After checking out the bikes He headed for home to get a trailer. Then the fun began: Trying to load a one winged, very heavy Connie up a ramp! Way too much fun for two guys.  Unfortunately, he took long enough getting back all the COGers were gone, trying to beat the rain that was moving in rapidly. Speaking of rain, it cut loose just as we were in the throws of the struggle pushing up the ramp.  Finally I decided to take my chance and drive it up the ramp. Not so smart.  Should have walked across the street and looked for a third or fourth hand. But urgency of the coming downpour trumped common sense and safety.  So I hit the top of the ramp and all thoughts and efforts turned to stopping this fat purple missile. Lacking a solid clutch since it was on the broken handle bar, I grabbed the front brake, and likely hit the rear pedal as well. Now, factor in wet plywood, and you know the rest.  Fortunately barney didn't run through the front of the trailer and didn't trap my leg underneath all that weight. What it did is break my right foot peg bracket.  This is not my first drop but it is my first experience worth documenting. Give me my number please.

Just curious. What do you think made the left handle bar break loose? That is not supposed to happen unless you used a Canyon Dancer or strapped your bike down using the handle bars.
just glad you were not traveling down a highway and it broke loose.

You're the second person to report the left handlebar coming off; it his case it happened as he was putting her on the sidestand at a fuel pump.  But his was a C14 and I'm guessing from the purple color that yours is a C10.  I'm really glad that you weren't hurt in your adventure with the wet plywood; that could easily have gone a whole lot worse, and your incident does qualify you for the CDA Award except for one thing.

You need to be a full COG member.  Don't worry, we don't make you drop her again after you've rejoined in order to qualify!  In the interests of Full Disclosure, my own membership had lapsed for almost a month before a friend pointed it out to me.  I had been vaguely aware that renewal was coming up, but it simply slipped my mind.  After I had settled up with Membership it took a while for the "Expired Term" to disappear from my avatar too, though that's not the norm; it'll usually happen in a couple of days.

Just to avoid confusion, here's where to Renew