• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Source for front axle bit sockets - 22mm?

timanderson

Went to pull the wheels off of my 2010 C14 for the first time to replace the stock tires and realized I was under equipped to deal with the large sockets and nut on the axles.  (My bad for not planning ahead)!  I picked up a 26mm socket at Sears for the rear axle nut, and was able to remove the wheel without needing the 14mm(?) bit socket to hold the other end of the rear axle.  BUT, the front axle looks like it needs a huge 22mm bit socket, and I can't find it anywhere locally or online (NAPA, AutoZone, Harbor Freight, etc.)  Any suggestions on this?  The shop manual doesn't even list it as special tools, but I've never seen any that big. 

Ooops!  I just found the post about using a 13/16 spark plug socket backwards to remove the front axle nuts!  Who ever figured that out - pretty cool!  So I'm all set there, just need to pick up a 14mm bit socket at NAPA (they have 14mm) in case I need that on the back for re-assembly.  Should have searched more before I posted!

Thanks scrape, it is indeed the right tool for the job!  I'll order one - I figure if I'm going to be changing tires every 5000 miles on this bike, might as well collect all the right tools now.  Thanks for the link!

Cheaper still, take 2 wheel nuts (these are for a GMC pick-up) 22 mm size and weld them together taper to taper.

IMG_0019-4.jpg

IMG_0016-6.jpg

Thanks for all the help & suggestions!  The $5.46 coupling from McMasters sure seems like a nice simple solution.  My C14 is all back together with fresh sneakers, after using the backwards spark plug socket trick, so I'm set for now but will assemble the right parts for next time.  Can't wait to try out the Michelin PR3s, the OEM tires never felt very good to me but at least I used 'em up. 

A hex wrench is NOT needed on each side.  Keep the nut (left side) clamped tight until the axel is retorqued, then loosen up both sides, do the pump the forks thing and tighten the clamp bolts back up (both sides, right side first for some reason).

I have a 14mm hex wrench you can borrow. ;D