• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

SPARK PLUG BOOT / QUESTION

On the very top of the spark plug boot the round part has a arrow pointing outward. Does anyone know the purpose of this arrow. Thanks for any help.
I'am making a new set of wires up using Accel #3008. And cleaning everything up and saw that arrow and said that it has a reason to be their but what it is I'am not sure.

Dean

As far as I know, the arrows are supposed to be pointing forward. My assumption is that it helps insure a good seal. Am I correct folks?

This is the vent that Larry was alluding to. When you pull the plug caps, you should run a wire through it to make sure its clear. Many of us fill the groove on the underside with grease for a better seal to keep out water (especially #1), and it can migrate over to the vent hole.

Img_7441a-L.jpg

Img_7442a-L.jpg

WOW / Thanks for everyone's help. I absolutely did not know that. I do not see this in the manual at all. But I could of missed it.
All four of my vent holes were clogged up with dirt & debris. My 2000 ZG 1000 Is 23 years old.

Thanks Again Dean

Last edited:
This is the vent that Larry was alluding to. When you pull the plug caps, you should run a wire through it to make sure its clear. Many of us fill the groove on the underside with grease for a better seal to keep out water (especially #1), and it can migrate over to the vent hole.

Img_7441a-L.jpg

Img_7442a-L.jpg
Everything we want to know about the C10 comes from guys like Larry and Guy that are nice enough to share it with us. Thank you!

These are things that some of us did not know . I have only owned mine for 9 months and I'am still learning. So thanks for your expertise. I thank you both also. Larry & Guy and everyone else that has helped me along the way.

Dean

Does anyone know where I can get spark plug wires for my 99 c-10? I look online, but nothing comes up as specifically for a 99 c-10.

I bought mine from Murphs and they worked perfectly.
But I can't find them right now.
Can someone help find the spark plug wires that Murph sales?

Ride safe, Ted

Wow, better hope you never need a new spark plug cap. All I can find are OEM ones and they are all around $50 apiece. I don't think I spent that much on a complete new set of wires and caps from Murph's the last time I replaced mine. Damn NGK...

Wow, better hope you never need a new spark plug cap. All I can find are OEM ones and they are all around $50 apiece. I don't think I spent that much on a complete new set of wires and caps from Murph's the last time I replaced mine. Damn NGK...
Makes one wonder why they would discontinue when hundreds if not thousands of C10's are still out there. .

Just go to an auto parts store and buy some by the foot.
I buy the wire by the metre from a seller of parts for motoculture, for the candle caps, I recondition them ;)

The boot seals against water entering from above - there are arrows on each boot that should point forward for the seal to work properly. A spark plug well with enough water in it will not fire until the water is removed. Fortunately, the factory boot is fairly rugged and should last a long time. The wire can be removed and replaced.

I buy the wire by the metre from a seller of parts for motoculture, for the candle caps, I recondition them ;)

Very interesting.
Im anxious to get back to my laptop so I can convert to English 😁

Now, a faith all disassembled I go all ultrasonic with a little citric acid powder, except resistance;)
it comes out new, finished oxidation

GTR 1000 interference suppressor reconditioning

March 13, 2019
Spray with penetrating oil and remove the collar
clamp a Ø 6/8 mm metal tube in a vice
Spray penetrating oil on both sides
Thread the suppressor into the metal tube, wire side down, the threaded part securing the wire into the tube
Take the interference suppressor with both hands with your left hand and slide the casing straight down to avoid breaking the screw while using a flat screwdriver with your right hand to pass the central part, add penetrating oil if necessary.
Central part, exit!
Unscrew the spark plug fixing side with a suitable large flat screwdriver and take out the resistor and the spring.
Thoroughly clean the parts that make the electrical continuity with sandpaper or steel wool in order to have an infinite measurement value with an ohm-meter on all the parts, same as the spring and 5 Kohms on the resistance
To clean the HT wire fixing screw, put a bit of grounding lug in the wire fixing hole and using a piece of flexible electrical wire Ø 7 outside that you will have to screw in fully and go back and forth "devise / aim" to allow the lapping compound to remove the dirt or verdigris from the brass screw.
Clean with gasoline and compressed air for excess paste
spray well with penetrating oil so that it slides and go up using a piece of drink as a support.