• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Spencer Seating

Skeeter said:
Has anyone tried the Spencer Seating modification to the OEM seat?

Skeeter

I had him reshape both front and back to remove the forward slope and put in his Long Distance (LD) supercore foam.  Both my wife and I love the result. 

I have as well,,,,,,,, can't beat if for the cost. Have an Alaskan Sheep Skin for long rides....... 300+

Bob said:
Skeeter said:
Has anyone tried the Spencer Seating modification to the OEM seat?

Skeeter

I had him reshape both front and back to remove the forward slope and put in his Long Distance (LD) supercore foam.  ..............

i have also, pleased with the results. if you ship it, be sure to keep it small, HUGE price difference shipping.

I'm happy with it. For $90 plus shipping it was a good deal. I got it lowered slightly,  with superacore and passenger seat done. For us the decision was based on me being short and stocky (ok chubby) and her being tall and skinny. I was thinking that a standard seat may make her happy or me happy, but not both. A customized seat for both seemed ideal. Other customizing places would have us down 3-4 weeks, cost $5-600. Spencers took 2 days, plus ship for $90 and $30 shipping.  Easy choice for us and we're satisfied. 8)

Bill

Very statisfied. With the Alaskan  leather charcoal colored pad I can ride it cross country.
So happy in fact we went the better half's cruiser seat to him for the long distance mod.

Thanks to everyone for the replies - I think I will go this route and if not satisfied I can do something over the winter.

Right now I use a gel pad topped with a sheepskin on the OEM seat and still the limit is about 3 hours before I want to cry.

For the price it will not be a lot lost if it doesn't work.

Skeeter

I got mine done in May and could not be happier! Got him to change the cover to a nice HT Moto that I sent him with the seat. I like the look!
He warned me that it would take a few tankfuls of gas to bed it in. I think it is improving as promised. I have only got a few hundred miles on it so far.  Did a 3 hour ride at the weekend 2 up and we were both starting to get a bit sore, but that happened inside an hour with the stock seat!
I did not get him to lower it, only to flatten the rear seat slightly to reduce the passenger pitch forward.

I sent my seat to them this week and can't wait to get it back. Hoping to feel a difference and will report.............

thanks to you guys and this forum for all of the great information and contacts of reputable companies, I've sent my seat off to Spencer for modifications. Anxiously waiting to get it back to prepare for my 5000 mile journey. so far through my dealings this cat, he has it down. I can't say that about Murphs. I ordered a few things from him and I think I will receive the goods on time tomorrow but he has been terrible, totally no response, to my questions about my future considered purchases such as Shad topcase, tank bag and foot lowering pegs. If I don't get a response on my intended purchases it makes my wonder how the service will be if I have any issues with my purchases.

I received the seat back from Spencers today and got in a 40 mile ride after dinner once the temps had dropped below 100. He had emailed and said it may take a few tanks of gas before the seat completely conforms and loosens up, but he was wrong........I felt a difference almost immediately, and if it is only going to get better, this is the best $75 I've ever spent on a motorcycle.

With the stock seat, I felt I was riding on top of the bike. It is not just the cushion, but (and sorry if this sounds stupid), but it almost cups my butt. I look forward to taking a much longer ride and see how it improves. FYI - from what he explains, the new material breathes better which is good for the type of weather we're having.

And, BTW, the seat is a bit lower. Even though I am just shy of 6' tall, I still felt the Connie was a bit tall at slow speeds and when stopped. With the seat mod, I am guessing it rides about 3/4" lower which is PERFECT for me.

I have been pleased with the Supracor seat mod from Spencers.  For me it was as stated in that it did take a few hundred miles for the seat to break in.  When I first put the seat on, I did notice a bit of lowering as I was not quite as much on my toes.  but now after over 1000 miles I can stand flat booted on both sides.  And the seat is quite comfortable.

JD

Spencer received my seat today. I sent him pictures of me on the bike, I told him that I did not want to lower it but I wanted to get the forward slope out of it because I am 5'11 with bar risers and I wanted to sit a little more upright. I guess if he takes out some of the forward slope that will lower it a tad. Is that what ya'll had done? Has anyone added the BeadRider accesory to the Spencer modification, I know he recommends the Alaskan Sheepskin

streetglide said:
Spencer received my seat today. I sent him pictures of me on the bike, I told him that I did not want to lower it but I wanted to get the forward slope out of it because I am 5'11 with bar risers and I wanted to sit a little more upright. I guess if he takes out some of the forward slope that will lower it a tad. Is that what ya'll had done? Has anyone added the BeadRider accesory to the Spencer modification, I know he recommends the Alaskan Sheepskin

Although I never used a Spencer seat. I used the Alaskan sheep skin on my Corbin. It  made for an awesome combination IMO. I also tried the bead rider set up on my Corbin. I found them to be the most painful hour of riding I've ever had. I literally removed them as soon as we got to our stop. Maybe it was just me. But they've been sitting on the shelf ever since. The Alaskan sheep skin is awesome though. How this would translate to a Spencer, I don't know. But if the Spencer is a firm seat, you may have the same results.

I received my seat back from Spencer and WOW what a difference for me. He took some of the forward slope out of the seat. A perfect fit for me a guy that is 5-11 and I have the bar risers. This guy knows what he is doing. A professional and a pleasure to deal with. He did exactly what he said he would do. A pleasant experience and quality product.