• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Spitting Oil

kurtlammon

Tricycle
I got my '01 on Labor Day last year and I'm still getting used to it. When I picked it up, the guy who'd owned it previously had the oil filled up beyond the top of the sight glass. On my ride back home, after getting a bite to eat at an Arby's, a Gold Wing rider who saw the small puddle of oil under my bike said "those bikes will spit oil out of the breather if you overfill them." When I got back home, I drained the excess oil out and now the level's 3/4s up the glass. I've cleaned the oil out of the bottom plastic cowling a couple of times, but it's still leaving its mark several months later (although seems to be less now than in the past). Question: does it take a long time for the oil to clear itself out from the breather? (And where is this breather?) Or do I have a bona fide leak from a gasket or something? My next step if you guys don't tell me something revelatory will be to change the oil and replace the gaskets on the drain plug and filter. Let me know if anybody's got experience with this. Because of the overfill situation, I'm still suspecting the breather. Thanks!! Kurt Lammon Chattanooga, TN www.urethanesupply.com

Kurt, The stock oil filter is foam and absorbs oil. I once washed and oiled mine and used too much oil and it dripped some oil. You may want to remove the air cleaner (left side, a couple of screws I think) and wring the oil out of it. Wipe down the inside of the air box and that should take care of it. David David in Jax COG# 7898 NE FL AAD & COG Vendor www.dreamjobresumes.com preparing resumes for COG members and friends I ride a KAWASAKI ZZR1200 - Euro http://www.motorbikestoday.com/reviews/Articles/ZZR1200.htm US http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/roadtests/2002_kawasaki_zzr1200/index.html

The stock oil filter is foam and absorbs oil I think David meant air filter not oil filter. The stock oil filter is paper and sealed inside the oil filter housing. The air filter could could possibly be over oiled though. "If it hasn't killed me yet, it's runnin out of time" COG # 8062 AMA # 1084053 ROMA or Scarlet harlot acording to my wife

Oops! Good catch - I meant to say "air filter" The form air filter will absorb oil that blows out the breather and then it will drip and weep forever unless you clean it out. It's not a big job and only requires you to remove the left side cover and one or two screws for the end cap. Good luck with it! David David in Jax COG# 7898 NE FL AAD & COG Vendor www.dreamjobresumes.com preparing resumes for COG members and friends I ride a KAWASAKI ZZR1200 - Euro http://www.motorbikestoday.com/reviews/Articles/ZZR1200.htm US http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/roadtests/2002_kawasaki_zzr1200/index.html

Kurt; The breather connection from the crankcase to the airbox is on the LHS top of the crankcase. Its a small black plastic elbow that connects directly into the bottom of the airbox. Don't get fixated on it being all about overfilling the engine, it may not be that at all. There are other places a connie will leak oil. After cleaning out the airbox and checking that the breather is connected to the airbox if its still leaking take a look at. Drain Plugs x 2 Oil filter O-rings x2 Gear Shift Seal Clutch rod seal Water Pump Seal All those are on the LHS. Last but not least is the Bevel Drive Gasket which is the most difficult to check and hardest to replace.
2606714340100596652OGFlOW_th.jpg

Great info, guys. This forum is awesome! I really appreciate the help. I'll check the air filter very soon and probably go ahead and replace the oil with Mobil 1 and the filter with all gaskets and o-rings. Thanks,

Hey Guys - I am going nuts with an oil leak on my '99. I replaced the o-ring on the waterpump, and thought I had it after seeing no problem on a quick 10 mile test. But, riding to work, it started smoking from oil on the left eshaust, and puddled at work. I just dropped the belly pan, and there is fresh oil in it too. I changed the oil and filter during the o-ring job. The left side of the engine is wet up to the clutch slave or so. I just wiped it down, and laid under it and watched while it ran for a couple minutes - nothing! It is upright on the centerstand. I had the clutch slave out so I could watch it too. Does a particular area leak mainly only during riding (from leaning, etc), or when warmed up, or??? TIA for any thoughts. I go nuts when I can't ride, a common affliction in this group, huh. Tim

Tim the O'ring on the Oil pump is not the culprit when the water pump leaks oil! It's the Oil Seal that sits on the shaft. Colin (Using the CFO's account)

Mine smoked a little bit on the left side, mainly when I was stopped at traffic lights, because oil was slowly dripping out the weep hole on the water pump. The bearing inside was going bad slowly and the extra clearance allowed the shaft to move enough so that oil could get past the seal and drip out the weep hole. Mine did not leak a lot but I could see and smell it, as time goes on it would have gotten worse. I got a pump from Murph and replaced the whole thing. Maybe this is the problem? David David in Jax COG# 7898 NE FL AAD & COG Vendor www.dreamjobresumes.com preparing resumes for COG members and friends I ride a KAWASAKI ZZR1200 - Euro http://www.motorbikestoday.com/reviews/Articles/ZZR1200.htm US http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/roadtests/2002_kawasaki_zzr1200/index.html

Thanks for the comments, Colin & David. I've concluded the most likely cause is the clutch push rod seal. It falls out of the opening, and is loose on the rod. I think it is ready for replacement after 60,000 miles in the Southern Cal heat. My problem now is trying to find it on a microfiche. Ron Ayers and Kawasaki parts house.com both use the same OEM microfiche, and I just don't see it on the clutch page. The seal is marked "ARS S0 48 8 18 7-1", an Arai SO type seal, but I can't find it anywhere. I just emailed Ron Ayers regarding it, I'm sure they will straighten me out. Any other info would be most appreciated, though. A couple more weeks of downtime, I guess - I know that sounds minor to the good folks in the great white north, but here it's a pain. Tim

Tim the Seal you want is: 92049A 92049-1566 SEAL-OIL the 92049-1566 is the part number. The seal is listed on the Front Bevel Gear Page Always use the Ma K.(Mother Kawasaki) parts pages. Some others are not always 100% While your at it get a gear shift (92051 92051-005 SEAL-OIL,TB13225.5) seal at the same time its a good idea to have one on hand just in case and they are cheap. Colin
2606714340100596652OGFlOW_th.jpg