• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

SPOT Tracker Gen 3

MizzouMike

Rain Magnet
It recently succumbed to the enticement from the folks at SPOT and upgraded to the 3rd Generation device.  It looks likes the messaging and tracking functions are significantly improved over the first version.  However, according to the manual, it looks like it will turn itself off after an hour of inactivity....  Has anyone had an issue with this?

What made you decide to upgrade? I am still using the gen 1 and have not found the reason to upgrade as long as it still works.

I have been using a Gen 3 since the spring and have not had an issue with the auto off feature.

Battery life is A LOT LONGER! Long enough that I can't remember when I changed them last. Well, that might not be the best reference now that I think of it. :) They last at least four or more times longer than my Gen 2.

$25 off at the register + 50% off rebate from SPOT.  I am intersted in the new interface and dedicated tracking / messaging functions.  I had a lot of trouble with the 1st gen with tracking / messaging.  I was constantly having to rengage the tracking function.  If you would like to have a four year old 1st gen RAM Mount cradle, PM me and I would be happy to send it your way.

Landon said:
What made you decide to upgrade? I am still using the gen 1 and have not found the reason to upgrade as long as it still works.

MizzouMike said:
If you would like to have a four year old 1st gen RAM Mount cradle, PM me and I would be happy to send it your way.

I appreciate the offer, but I already have one so I will pass. But that is another reason I have not upgraded, would need a new mount.

Hey Mike, Read the fine print very carefully on the 50% rebate. IIRC, if you pay less than full price you do not get the rebate. Got shot in the ass with that one a couple years ago with my Gen 2. Took a discount at the register and did not qualify for the rebate.

Thanks for the heads up...  I re-read the rebate form, and it looks like they have two avenues to weasel out.  #1 they do indicated that the rebate is up to 50% of the discounted price... #2 it indicates that this is for "new" subscriptions...  I guess they could interpret my subscription as a transfer from the Spot1 to the Spot3.    I guess I will know in 8-12 weeks.