• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

SS1000 Certification Ride

Great write-up..  I'm working on my route for my first Saddle Sore 1k and Butt Burner 1500 next weekend..

I'm going on my own heading down from Pennsylvania through Maryland and Virginia into North Carolina and then heading west over to Tennessee and then heading north into Kentucky before heading over into West Virginia, or a cleaner "square" route would be up into Ohio for the night -- then zipping across Pennsylvania to complete the BB1500 the next day.

Wits said:
Great write-up..  I'm working on my route for my first Saddle Sore 1k and Butt Burner 1500 next weekend..

I'm going on my own heading down from Pennsylvania through Maryland and Virginia into North Carolina and then heading west over to Tennessee and then heading north into Kentucky before heading over into West Virginia, or a cleaner "square" route would be up into Ohio for the night -- then zipping across Pennsylvania to complete the BB1500 the next day.

Keep in mind the IBA frowns on making one ride into two certifications. You may wish to check with them as to the specificity of this before hand. FYI the SS1000/24hrs is harder to do than the BB1500/36hrs. Having done many of these rides I can certainly attest to that!  This might just give you another "excuse' to go and ride!  :)

BTW Miles, nice write up and congrats on the accomplishment.

sorry I missed your post before linby..  I had an alarm clock failure and ended up not getting out, so I'll have to plan again.

I might just take your advice and do the two rides on different weekends as motivation to travel somewhere new again..

I wasn't aware that they frowned on stacking two rides together..  if I do a bb1500 separately, though..  that would at least let me get somewhere and hang out a bit instead of stopping for the sole purpose of crashing before the next days ride.  Thanks.

You must get a SS1000 Iron Butt certification first, then combining rides is generally allowed.  But you need to prove you can do a 'long' ride before you can do an Extreme ride... which is what the the BBG1500 is...  Extreme! They don't riders biting off more than they can chew in their first attempt.  As easy as people say SS1000's are, they are not for everyone. You can ride the 1500, but you might not get the cert without an IBA#.  But its always good to check with the source.  My dad checked with Kneebone before he attempted his last ride(s) a week ago.  A SS1000, BBG1500, MTF Lap of Florida GOLD, and a SS2000... all in one.  36 hrs!  Do NOT try that at home! :)

Miles

My plan was to stay on the bike as short of a time as possible.  Mine was an MTF organized ride, so all the stops were laid of for us.  Just plug em in the GPS and go.  The longest I was off the bike before the credit cards quit working was 10 mins. One hour for the CC issue 800 miles in, then back on the bike.  15 hrs, 11 mins.  But doing 20 to 30 min walk arounds at each gas stop, will still get you in on time.  Take enough cash to do the entire ride  incase the CCs get shut off. Trust me!  Good luck on your ride! 

Miles