• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Steve Baker's OW 31

Hogboy

Street Cruiser
I was fortunate enough to see Steve Baker race a few times during the hippie years.  One of the few guys that could match Roberts and often on similar bikes.

Once, at Westwood, BC, I saw him race 4-5 classes in a weekend alonside people like Dunlop's Jim Allen (hopping off street legal YR 350 Yammies and getting on TZ250's, etc.).

Seems his old OW31 has been re-discovered and here it is in all its glory:

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/image/archive/vegas12/yamaha/index.htm

Hogboy,

Thanks for the link, That is some kind of awesome machine. I'll have to keep that
Las Vegas dealers info somewhere so I can check them out if I get out that way
sometime. If he still works in the family dealership it would be cool to go buy some
swag and get a autograph.

I think on the "Taking it to the limit" dvd they had a nice section on Baker when he
went to Europe and kicked some serious world class butt !  :motonoises:

Ah, Westwood in BC.  Was privileged to take in a race day there in the spring of 1967, cars and bikes.  Free to walk around and watch from almost anywhere.  That was my first look at a road course.  I thought it was a great track to watch and I was itching to ride it.  Alas, my bikes were in AK.  Was with a local kid named Brent Saunders.  Saw him a few years later when he road through Minnesota on a BMW. Lost track of him after that.  Man, that's a few days back.

Joe

Hogboy,

Thanks for the extra link. some very nice stuff amongst the pirate swag. It really
does look like a must see place if ever in the area.

Nice especially cool to see a Laverda next to 'Captain America' and the caption about what is that behind stacks of made in China HD clocks... LOL!

Thanks Hogboy for the extra link to the Laverda, it brought back old memories. A buddy of mine had one when I lived in Québec back in the late 70's. I had a Laverda SF750 at the time and I remember him always ending up leading our group rides for some reason after buying one of those orange coloured beauties. I wonder why?  ;)

Merci Claude,  I always liked the Laverda Jota better as the 750 reminded me of my old 305 Superhawk.

Laverda_1000_Jota_1982.jpg

Nice pictures of a great racing era. I have a friend in Ormond Beach who still races a '75 Z-1 in the AHRMA heavyweight superbike class. He was the national champion in that class in 2008. It's amazing to see the bike and how they have changed over the years.