• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Sticking float valve help

njdave

Bicycle
The float valve on my number 4carb keeps sticking shut. I drop the float bowl and everything moved freely. After  short ride you feel it cut out. Checking the float level afterword reveals no gas in the bowl. All other carbs are spot on. I put in a new needle from Murphs. How can I get it to stop sticking?

Did you replace the needle seat to? clean the pin that float pivots on?  And a word of caution it could also stick open and lead to vapor lock so be careful when starting it that it is not vapor locked. Good Luck.

BigK said:
Did you replace the needle seat to? clean the pin that float pivots on?  And a word of caution it could also stick open and lead to vapor lock so be careful when starting it that it is not vapor locked. Good Luck.

The seat is not replacable.....it is pressed into the body. ::)

I have to ask, so....
Did you reinstall the little wire clipon holder correctly on the new needle????
Like this....???

Thanks for the pic. Yes, new clip installed also. They came with the kit from Murph's.
I removed the bowl. The float seems to move up and down freely. I put it back together and take it around the block for a test ride. Within a few miles same thing happens.

I found it was stuck shut because I went to check the float level on #4. #4 plug was clean, looked like it hadn't fired. The spark was good on it so I moved to the carb.

I had the carbs off a few weeks ago to install the 2 minute jet mod. I set all the float levels like in the instructions. Three of them were spot on. # 3 was high so I adjusted it.

I think I will take them back off and go through them again. Maybe some crud from the tank got in there? I also installed a new oem petcock. There is an inline fuel filter...

No, the floats were not sticking before I had it apart. So must have been something I did while installing the jets.

Try swapping the float and needle valve from carb 4 to another carb like number 1 and see if the problem follows or stays with carb 4.

Sorry, never had to work on my C-10 carbs. I assumed they were like the older bikes I worked on were, the seat was screwed in.  :'( I could be wrong but I find it odd that the float moves freely without the bowl but sticks closed with it. I would think if it was going to stick it would stick open. Sure the float is installed properly and is not hitting something?

BigK said:

Sorry, never had to work on my C-10 carbs. I assumed they were like the older bikes I worked on were, the seat was screwed in.  :'( I could be wrong but I find it odd that the float moves freely without the bowl but sticks closed with it. I would think if it was going to stick it would stick open. Sure the float is installed properly and is not hitting something?

Without attempting to be condescending, this is why some of us that service these specific problems, ask that those that have not, hold back on giving directions which tend to confuse, and overwhelm a person that has a problem... I mean this in a kind way, mind you, I know people wish to "help" others, but many times we have to wade thru a bunch of non productive add ins people toss out, and it does nothing to get at the real cause and solution....

It's kind of strange for a needle valve to stick closed. (open is usually what happens)  Is fuel flow good? fuel line pinched?

I don't know what is going on now. Unstuck the float yesterday and went for a ride. She ran awesome... then started acting like she was running out of gas. Barley made it home. I will look deeper today... ugh. Almost wish I left the carbs alone.

Well, I opened the gas cap and heard a slight woosh. The bike fired up and idled perfect with the cap open. whats the best way to clear out the vent?? Compressed air?

damn! that was an easy fix.

why would a non-venting tank cause the needles sticking? The carbs are open to the atmosphere.

I could stand it any longer ..lol the singing I meant, so after reading this I just ran down stairs and pulled my cap.
I only removed the first diaphragm. Took less than ten mins.
Ill let yall know what changes.

MOB sorry to step on any toes next time I will keep my knowledge or lack there of to myself. Till all others have failed. :beerchug:

Well, I have removed the vents from the gas cap and I have replaced the inline fuel filter that was installed... reading a little more I see the vent and filter don't always play nice. Fired up and sounded right in the garage. Test ride will have to wait until tomorrow... we shall see if all is right now.

I have to say  between the exhaust cam sprocket aND the two minute mod she is a new bike. Those mods really woke her up! Thanks Steve!

Took a ten minute ride around.  All seems well.  I'll take her to work tomorrow and see.  So far so good.  Thanks for the advice all.

NJDave said:
Well, I have removed the vents from the gas cap and I have replaced the inline fuel filter that was installed... reading a little more I see the vent and filter don't always play nice. Fired up and sounded right in the garage. Test ride will have to wait until tomorrow... we shall see if all is right now.

I have to say  between the exhaust cam sprocket aND the two minute mod she is a new bike. Those mods really woke her up! Thanks Steve!

Yes they sure do give an old C10 some git-up-n'-go. I wish I had the money to get the reground torque cams and the 7th gear too, but we can't have everything. That being said SISF just put together some 36mm carbs with the full spa treatment, lightweight slides, and overflows for me, and I cannot wait to get them installed.

DC Concours said:
light weight slides? what does that do?

Those are news to me also.....
Steve and I were playing with the 36 mm carbs almost a decade ago.... and I never saw any lightweight slides... just the ones that came in them....
I'll have to converse with Bubba a bit about a 2mm based on the big carbs... I have a couple sets in boxes, and a set installed on COGZilla now..
I know they are jetted rich currently, and I dropped the jet sizes down substatially right from the start...
They do flow a lot more air, and require fresh new boots and some cussing to get them installed, I also installed the correctly sized engine side rubbers, from a Ninja model....
I really need to get busy and get that bike running again, its been sitting under cover for tooooooo many years... :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

MAN OF BLUES said:
DC Concours said:
light weight slides? what does that do?

Those are news to me also.....
Steve and I were playing with the 36 mm carbs almost a decade ago.... and I never saw any lightweight slides... just the ones that came in them....
I'll have to converse with Bubba a bit about a 2mm based on the big carbs... I have a couple sets in boxes, and a set installed on COGZilla now..
I know they are jetted rich currently, and I dropped the jet sizes down substatially right from the start...
They do flow a lot more air, and require fresh new boots and some cussing to get them installed, I also installed the correctly sized engine side rubbers, from a Ninja model....
I really need to get busy and get that bike running again, its been sitting under cover for tooooooo many years... :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

got em from a zrx1200. Very light, as is some type of plastic.  I ran this set is Shoodaben for years, but since we were going to try for better economy than power for the new owner. I took these out and put metal slides in the shoodaben Carbs. Now VT is gonna get 'em. y'all still don't know all my tricks  ;)  Steve

Steve in Sunny Fla said:
  got em from a zrx1200. Very light, as is some type of plastic.  I ran this set is Shoodaben for years, but since we were going to try for better economy than power for the new owner. I took these out and put metal slides in the shoodaben Carbs. Now VT is gonna get 'em. y'all still don't know all my tricks  ;)  Steve

And here I thought you left all of the tricks inside Shoodaben. I'm going to slink off into my corner and pout now.  :'(

<just kidding, of course>

Well no surprises here. Removed the first diaphragm . full tank of fuel parked in the sun all day.
  No more singing. I love it!!