• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

sticky clutch

gslothower

Training Wheels
When I start my Connie after sitting for a while,and put her in gear, the engine stalls,seems like the clutch is sticking. Its done this ever since I bought it 4 years ago. any advice?

Try pulling the clutch in and goose her a few times before you put her in gear, that way you break the sticktion (is that a real word) between the plates. Colin
2606714340100596652OGFlOW_th.jpg

I bought mine in the summer last year and she was mint,since its been sitting there in my shed over the winter its gone the same,stalled and crunched the gears.i warm it up a bit then rev it up and click it in,so might be from standing dude ,cos mine wasnt like this untill i stored it ;)sure it,ll be sweet again when i get it out and about .

After mine's been sitting for a bit, I start her up and squeeze/release the clutch 4-5 times to loosen up the clutch plates. It's just the cold oil doesn't flow and allow the plates to release as easily. Not a big deal at all.

Another trick to try is to pull the clutch lever before hitting the starter. With old Triumphs, you follow the ritual of "clearing the clutch"...pull in the clutch,kick the starter through and then fire her up. I also have heard that certain oils make this issue worse on the Concours. Not trying to start an oil thread here, but mine doesn't do this with Shell Rotella T (dino or synthetic.) Eddie COG Marketing Asst. Sanford, FL 2005 Concours 1969 Triumph Bonneville AMA# 686667 COG# 7073 CDA# 0136 http://picasaweb.google.com/Eddie753 ;p ;p