• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

STOCK EXHAUST MODIFICATIONS

cushman1

Moped
Surveying the membership and asking "Have you ever modified a stock exhaust? Have you ever taken off the end, taken out anything, put is back together, and had a slightly more muscle sound? >:D

There have been several folks who have taken the stock muffler apart and shortened it significantly. All the reports I've seen have indicated that it didn't change the sound at all, but made it look a lot better. I think they cut about 6 inches or more off it. There were several threads about this on the old board back in 2008/09 before it "crashed". Haven't seen any recently.  I believe they were taking it apart and cutting out the flame arrestor and removing a section from the front of the muffler and then TIG welding it back together.

There was a recent thread about a Delkevic (sp?) slip-on that was reasonably priced and got favorable feedback.

I'm not a fan of the stock exhaust as far as looks or sound goes. But you know what they say.........it's hard to shine a turd. If I had plenty of expendable cash I would replace it. As it sits(stock), the bike performsjust fine..........and I guess I'm OK with that.

If it don't change the sound it might be worth getting rid of a couple pounds. I was surprise how heavy that thing is.

I took some bad advice from ST-Owners and drilled out the mufflers on my ST1300!!!
Worst sound ever :mad:  like a scooter with a hole in the muffler!!  Had to ebay a used set of factory mufflers.
Leave it till you can afford what you want.

BTW I have also heard good things about Delvic.

IMG_0004-3-1.jpg

IMG_0007-3.jpg

IMG_0008-2.jpg

IMG_0009-2.jpg

IMG_0011-4.jpg

IMG_0012-3.jpg

IMG_0014-2.jpg

IMG_0015-3.jpg

IMG_0016-4.jpg

IMG_0017-2.jpg

IMG_0018-2.jpg

IMG_0019-3.jpg

IMG_0020-3.jpg

IMG_0023-4.jpg

IMG_0025-3.jpg

IMG_0027-3.jpg

IMG_0028-1.jpg

IMG_0029.jpg

IMG_0030.jpg

IMG_0034-1.jpg

- not my pictures

Wow! that is some hearty work there...I 'll be sending you my muffler shortly here Dog!!!  :)

If it does'nt change the sound it should be worth it..."quiet" is my friend...

between the bikes, jets, and guns, my ears have had all they can handle...I can't even hear myself think these days.

That looks good! I'm saving my nickels for a new exhaust, so in the meantime, all I've done is paint the silver ends black.

Thanks for reposting those photos. I believe several folks have successfully shortened the muffler by cutting it like that, and it does make it look a whole lot better. Reports I read indicated it didn't change the sound, just made it smaller so it didn't stick out the back end so far.

The weld under the rear cap has to be ground off so the muffler core can then be pulled out of the outer casing. The section that gets cut off is the flame arrestor section off the FRONT end of the muffler core, and then the same length has to be cut off the REAR section of the outer casing, being careful to match the original cut angle, and the muffler internal core is then slid back in the outer casing and it has to be TIG welded back together at the rear when you're done.

If you are patient, you can sometimes find deals here on the COG Emporium.  I found a little used Two Bros. slip on for $250 plus shipping, and a friend of mine got a CS ONE shipped for $325, so good deals are out there, if you look for them.

I replaced my stock exhaust with an Area P.  No regrets.  It's not too loud for all day riding, but when you get in it you KNOW you're in it!  My question is, WHY IS THE STOCK CANNON SO DAMNED BIG?  It looks like someone hacked a car exhaust on the side of the bike!  I understand there regulations, but look at other 'big' bikes and their exhausts aren't so ugly!  Heck, look at the new FJR.  It's exhausts are big, but they at least made them look decent. 

Stlheadake said:
I replaced my stock exhaust with an Area P.  No regrets.  It's not too loud for all day riding, but when you get in it you KNOW you're in it!  My question is, WHY IS THE STOCK CANNON SO DAMNED BIG?  It looks like someone hacked a car exhaust on the side of the bike!  I understand there regulations, but look at other 'big' bikes and their exhausts aren't so ugly!  Heck, look at the new FJR.  It's exhausts are big, but they at least made them look decent.

You know the really weird part. The ZX14 had a beautiful dual exhaust, where as they went with the single Howitzer look on the C14. Over the years you have heard little in the line of how folks liked the C14 exhaust, but you heard how they really didn't. We also have heard many times how the ZX14 exhaust looked good and folks installed them on their C14's. But rather than Kawasaki taking that nice look of the ZX14 for the C14. The went the other way and took the (IMO) less than aesthetically pleasing look of the C14 exhaust and gave the ZX14 that look. You really gotta wonder sometimes.  ???

+1 cap'n Bob!    :iagree:

The potato launcher, cannon, bazooka, whatever you call it is U G L Y!! regardless of how you look at it!

does the ZX dual fit on the C14?....if it does, what does it take to make the switch?...

Cap'n Bob said:
Stlheadake said:

You know the really weird part. The ZX14 had a beautiful dual exhaust, where as they went with the single Howitzer look on the C14. Over the years you have heard little in the line of how folks liked the C14 exhaust, but you heard how they really didn't. We also have heard many times how the ZX14 exhaust looked good and folks installed them on their C14's. But rather than Kawasaki taking that nice look of the ZX14 for the C14. The went the other way and took the (IMO) less than aesthetically pleasing look of the C14 exhaust and gave the ZX14 that look. You really gotta wonder sometimes.  ???

+2  :iagree:

I just don't get what they saw in that huge exhaust.

I have a full ZX-14 exhaust setup sitting in the corner of my garage. I was intending to put it on, but after I got it, I started doing some measurements, and the ZX-14 setup is significantly heavier, since it has two cans. I also noticed how long the ZX14 mufflers are. They are easily as long as the single can on the C14. So while it may look a bit nicer, it weighs almost twice as much, and if you remove the saddlebags, you'll now have two really long pipes sticking out instead of one. This is why it continues to sit in the corner of my garage unused.

I suspect they went with the single can on the ZX14 for the same reason, weight reduction.

There is a dude in that forum reference that is a Darksider...literally! I felt the presence of Vedar there for a minute...in between muffler readings....

johnnyc14 said:
That modified muffler is mine. I had the bike dyno'd after I did it and there was no difference in power output until after I removed the flies and installed the PC3. Here's a link to the original thread on another site. I still have the bike, now with 40,000 km on it.

http://www.zxforums.com/forums/gtr-1400-forum/9977-exhaust-cut-down-2.html
Initially I thought "ehh, cutting 4" off that cannon wouldn't make that much difference".  Boy was I wrong.  That looks much better.  I think Kawi should hire that guy to design their exhausts.  I'd still rather see a symmetrical dual exhaust on nearly every bike, but shaving some off the Connie's launcher certainly does help aesthetically speaking.

mehush said:
There was a recent thread about a Delkevic (sp?) slip-on that was reasonably priced and got favorable feedback.

I'm not a fan of the stock exhaust as far as looks or sound goes. But you know what they say.........it's hard to shine a turd. If I had plenty of expendable cash I would replace it. As it sits(stock), the bike performsjust fine..........and I guess I'm OK with that.

The price is certainly right, but I'll give a full report when Santa delivers it!  (Yes, I will gladly wrench on Christmas, too!)
I asked for the 18" pipe, but they come in different lengths which I'm guessing affects the sound. The length of the header ultimately affects performance, so I'm hoping it sounds beefier when I twist the throttle but still quiet for highway rides... I sent the wife the link for the stainless model...don't know if the Carbon fibre affects the sound differently, but I rarely take the bags off so it's pretty hidden anyway.  They DO come with a 30-day money-back...

RideBellChain said:
mehush said:

The price is certainly right, but I'll give a full report when Santa delivers it!  (Yes, I will gladly wrench on Christmas, too!)
I asked for the 18" pipe, but they come in different lengths which I'm guessing affects the sound. The length of the header ultimately affects performance, so I'm hoping it sounds beefier when I twist the throttle but still quiet for highway rides... I sent the wife the link for the stainless model...don't know if the Carbon fibre affects the sound differently, but I rarely take the bags off so it's pretty hidden anyway.  They DO come with a 30-day money-back...

Are you guys talking about ther ZX here? I looked up Delkevic and they do not list an application for the C14...plenty of muffleric apparatuses for Ninjas though

Fred_Harmon_TX said:
Thanks for reposting those photos. I believe several folks have successfully shortened the muffler by cutting it like that, and it does make it look a whole lot better. Reports I read indicated it didn't change the sound, just made it smaller so it didn't stick out the back end so far.

The weld under the rear cap has to be ground off so the muffler core can then be pulled out of the outer casing. The section that gets cut off is the flame arrestor section off the FRONT end of the muffler core, and then the same length has to be cut off the REAR section of the outer casing, being careful to match the original cut angle, and the muffler internal core is then slid back in the outer casing and it has to be TIG welded back together at the rear when you're done.

The chopped can IS louder than the stock un-moded one, but not abusive at all, it is just a touch throatier, and sounds more like what you would expect it to. I am running one that has 6 inches chopped out of it, done in the exact fashion shown in the photos. the end falls even with the edge of the bag.  :great:
I had the photos up on Webshots...but they ditched all of us members when they switched to "Schmile"....argggggggg
when I get the photos posted up on another share site I'll post them. ::) :truce:

It does make the bike sound "proper" >:D

[/quote]

[/quote]

Are you guys talking about ther ZX here? I looked up Delkevic and they do not list an application for the C14...plenty of muffleric apparatuses for Ninjas though
[/quote

Go to Ebay and search Delkevic GTR 1400 They have about ten different cans and such.  The only thing that I am sort of concerned about is the Stainless welds, if not done correct they will rust but the mufflers do look nice and the welds look good in the pics!

I try not to buy anything from Ebay or the U.K....especially things like mufflers.

though, I been know to buy a used book from Amazon.

Nando said:
I try not to buy anything from Ebay or the U.K....especially things like mufflers.

though, I been know to buy a used book from Amazon.

Well we're kind of :eek:fftopic:

But anyway, I bought my Morgan Carbtune from the UK. I had no problem with it being shipped over. They even posted a warning that it may take a little time with the customs laws. Yet it came in a matter of days rather than the possible weeks I had planed on.
  So I would also probably be cautious and steer away from eBay stuff and such from the UK or similar becuase of the logistics and possible problems. But I have ordered a couple of times from established and reputable companies without any problems. And would do such again if the need or opportunity arises. But an eBay item from outside the country, would probably be a different story. Too many horror stories out there for me.    :-\

But I would buy from eBay inside the US on a case by case basis. I actually have bought many items form eBay over the years. And to be honest, I do not think I have had any problems. Although I tend to stay towards new items. I probably do not buy too many used items that way. I buy way more used motorcycle associated items through this site first. But even then you take your chances since you may not know the individual your dealing with. But I feel more comfortable with the folks on this site over outside sources for used parts.

I have not had any problems with a purchase from EBay and Delkevic is a Colorado USA company from their website.  Just look at their rating and deal only with people that are at 98% satisfaction or better.  Every time I have bought a product from EBay they ask me how it turned out and I get rated as a buyer as well IE were they paid on time etc..  That way when I order things they know I will not try to get over on them as well!

Man, I'm like such a little kid around Christmas... :rotflmao: ...last night we were up in Disney for Mickey's Christmas Party (we go every year - really nice) and the entire night I'm walking around thinking about installing the new pipe on Christmas morning...my wife asked me like 5 times "what's wrong?"...I guess I was just thinking about the pipe and how I can get out for a ride on Christmas!!!  LOL!

I'll figure something out... and get a vid on YouTube for everyone on Christmas... and I'll have it installed for the Central FL event on the 29th (as long as it's not crappy).

Hope to see a bunch of you there!

PS. It finally got COLD down here!  Last night it was in the low 40's in Orlando.  I live about 150 miles South in Palm Beach...and it was upper 40's.  Today, not a cloud in the sky, nice breeze, upper 60's.  Couldn't ask for better weather.  But there's way too many crazy Christmas shoppers doing everything but paying attention to the road :truce:, so my wife asked me (nicely) not to ride today....OK, I won't...just to keep her from worrying.  But tomorrow, I'll be riding on A1A looking at the ocean before she wakes up!  :nananana:

I replaced mine with a custom built unit and saved almost 16 lbs. The sound isn't offensive and it looks much better. Another problem with retaining the stock unit is how restrictive the headpipe is. Shine a flaslight up the inlet and you'll see that it's only about 1 1/2" diameter with lots of restriction. 

HotWire said:
I replaced mine with a custom built unit and saved almost 16 lbs. The sound isn't offensive and it looks much better. Another problem with retaining the stock unit is how restrictive the headpipe is. Shine a flaslight up the inlet and you'll see that it's only about 1 1/2" diameter with lots of restriction.

the problem with removing those "restricting" pipes is that you loose low end torque with a more open system...or put out the bucks for PC, mapping, dyno and whatever else is needed to compensate for changing the air/fuel ratio...then the challenge is to find someone who knows what they are doing in that realm...too much hassle just because the muffler aint cute...

I do like the option of cutting the stock down a bit

I have one question re: the stock muffler mod.  After you have taken off the end cap, does the inner core just slide out, or are there welds that have to be broken first?

Bruce said:
I have one question re: the stock muffler mod.  After you have taken off the end cap, does the inner core just slide out, or are there welds that have to be broken first?

go back to page one of this post, and examine the photos here:
http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php/topic,39802.msg234731.html#msg234731

yes, there are a couple small welds around the perimeter of the rear that get ground off, then the central section is pulled out, and trimmed.
the hardest part is keeping the angular profile on the end of the outer can, trimming with a cutoff tool. this is accomplished using tape, and a compas or pair of dividers with a scribe, and following the end countour at a constat dimension further forward.

the whole job only takes about an hour or so, 2 hours with beer breaks and final touch up paint. :beerchug: :great:

Ok Gentlemen Modificators:

I got a machinist to help do the the muffler cutting mod per instructions in this thread.

Questions: Is this going to alter the air/fuel mixture like if I installed an aftermarket muffler? You folks who have done this mod, did install PC afterwards?

Now that your muffler is shorten, do you notice more heat under the saddlebag...crud from the exhaust?

Can you give me an idea of the increase in noise?...maybe even a sound bit!

...preciate your commets.... :great:

MAN OF BLUES said:
Fred_Harmon_TX said:

The chopped can IS louder than the stock un-moded one, but not abusive at all, it is just a touch throatier, and sounds more like what you would expect it to. I am running one that has 6 inches chopped out of it, done in the exact fashion shown in the photos. the end falls even with the edge of the bag.  :great:
I had the photos up on Webshots...but they ditched all of us members when they switched to "Schmile"....argggggggg
when I get the photos posted up on another share site I'll post them. ::) :truce:

It does make the bike sound "proper" >:D

Man in Blues,
You cut 6" off your muffler, but another guy cut 4"....or did I misread that? I am passing the job to a machinist I know. I need to tell him which 4 or 6...and I don't really understand clearly if the cut was made in the front or the back of the muffler

Then, am I expecting that the muffler bolt (to the frame) will still line up in the same place right?

I am going to take the pics and the write up on that other post to the machinist but I sure would like to be more clear on what I am asking him to do...not just show him a pic of a stock muffle and a shorter muffler...which is about all I understand!...

Fred_Harmon_TX said:

- nando , refer above.

Great Dog, thanks...

I got that part copied for the machinist. Now how much to cut off? It seems like one person cut 8" and another 6".

What about the line up for the muffler bolt to the frame...

Man! I feel so stupid!

Man O Blues, thanks.  Must have looked at the pics 50 times, but there was no explanation on how to remove the inner baffle.  My bike is in the shop for a valve cover leak repair right now, so can't wait to get it back and do this.  The only mod I've done to the exhaust is to paint the end pieces black.  Should look really good shortened and black. That will have to do til I get a CS 1.  Another question re: this mod...in the first pic, there is a cutout at the front of the muffler...what is that about?

Bruce said:
Man O Blues, thanks. ...... Another question re: this mod...in the first pic, there is a cutout at the front of the muffler...what is that about?

optical illusion..... ;D
it is a funny angle, and you can't see straight on, but it is actually the bracket that mounts it to the bike....funny angle... :great:

ZERO popping.  And it's still quiet.  Actually, it's a single easy bolt to remove the baffle.  Going to try it this AM.
Went for a ride on the highway yesterday, and I couldn't really hear it...not that I want an overpowering sound because I do like to listen to music in my helmet, but if I can go louder without disturbing the tunes, it just adds to my "visibility" to the zombies...I'll post another vid later after I get into the garage.

RideBellChain said:
ZERO popping.  And it's still quiet.  Actually, it's a single easy bolt to remove the baffle.  Going to try it this AM.
Went for a ride on the highway yesterday, and I couldn't really hear it...not that I want an overpowering sound because I do like to listen to music in my helmet, but if I can go louder without disturbing the tunes, it just adds to my "visibility" to the zombies...I'll post another vid later after I get into the garage.

Thanks for the info, I was wondering about the decel popping also.

Concours 14 with Delkevic pipe no baffle

So I just got to work...no popping on deceleration at all.  VERY happy without the baffle.  Now I hear the pipe - not loud, no problem with my music, and at 60mph, I hear wind and no pipe.  PURRRRRRfect!

The baffle came out in under 1 minute, too.

I would recommend this pipe.  I might even venture to say that I have a little more mid-range torque?  Hard to tell, but maybe.  I didn't wind it out past 7k....yet!

RideBellChain said:
Concours 14 with Delkevic pipe no baffle

So I just got to work...no popping on deceleration at all.  VERY happy without the baffle.  Now I hear the pipe - not loud, no problem with my music, and at 60mph, I hear wind and no pipe.  PURRRRRRfect!

The baffle came out in under 1 minute, too.

I would recommend this pipe.  I might even venture to say that I have a little more mid-range torque?  Hard to tell, but maybe.  I didn't wind it out past 7k....yet!

Thanks much for the video and information.... Very helpful!

Tomorrow I am taking my muffler in to have it shrunk.

I am a little scary-cat...I hope I like it cause I hate to have to buy another one...and have to re-mortgage the house.

But I bet there are tons of folks with OEM cans sitting around in their garage...no?

Nando said:

I am a little scary-cat...I hope I like it cause I hate to have to buy another one...and have to re-mortgage the house.
But I bet there are tons of folks with OEM cans sitting around in their garage...no?

If it doesn't turn out to your liking you can pick up another for dirt cheap because nobody wants them because they are so heavy and ugly. Only down side is you'll have to pay like $300 for shipping because it's soooo heavy...

ZG said:
Nando said:

If it doesn't turn out to your liking you can pick up another for dirt cheap because nobody wants them because they are so heavy and ugly. Only down side is you'll have to pay like $300 for shipping because it's soooo heavy...

ZG,

It 'll probably be cheaper to buy a boat and bring it back myself...this living in the middle of the ocean is restricting at times.

I think I will like from what everyone says...if not, I will probably hunt for V&H, or AreaP, or a Delkevic and there was one more quiet one I liked I can't remember the name...

but the torpedo is coming off, one way or another

I finally decided to buy a Delkevic since they are now making them for the C14.  The price and sound seems right.  The stock exhaust has worked fine for me but knowing the reputation of the Delkevic on the ST1300 forums made it an easy choice.  I will post my opinion next week when it arrives.  I thought I would eventually get a Leo Vince as they are great looking pipes, but 600.00 for a slip on is a lot of dough. 

School on this brother: cause I go on the Delkevic page and there is no application of their slip on for the C14...It ain't even listed on the Kawa bike models link...whats up wit dat?

Tomorrow Torpedo exhaust is going for a face lift...

QUESTION: Can one cut that grey cover on the front off some? is it ok to remove that chrome cover under the peg?

Attachments

• muffy.OEM.jpg
    muffy.OEM.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 140
Just started making them, that's why I made the first statement.  You can find them on Ebay if you search: Concours Delkevic 

nando said:
School on this brother: cause I go on the Delkevic page and there is no application of their slip on for the C14...It ain't even listed on the Kawa bike models link...whats up wit dat?

Tomorrow Torpedo exhaust is going for a face lift...

QUESTION: Can one cut that grey cover on the front off some? is it ok to remove that chrome cover under the peg?

As long as you can still mount the cover after cutting it there should be no problem.  The heat shield can just be unbolted and sold to me at a really good price. 

Guys - I posted (thought it was this thread, but I guess not) video of my new 18" Delkevic pipe, ran it with and without the baffle.  I LOVE IT. Save your money and buy this pipe.  I have no idea why the competitiors cost twice as much...  The folks at the event today heard it, and I think everyone really liked it. 

It cannot be heard on the highway, unless you punch it...but now my bike sounds like a healthy bike and not a sewing machine.

Search for "Delkevic" and I'm sure you can find my posts...

Don't waste your time modifying that 50 pound potato launcher...  Just my $0.02...

RideBellChain said:
Guys - I posted (thought it was this thread, but I guess not) video of my new 18" Delkevic pipe, ran it with and without the baffle.  I LOVE IT. Save your money and buy this pipe.  I have no idea why the competitiors cost twice as much...  The folks at the event today heard it, and I think everyone really liked it. 

It cannot be heard on the highway, unless you punch it...but now my bike sounds like a healthy bike and not a sewing machine.

Search for "Delkevic" and I'm sure you can find my posts...

Don't waste your time modifying that 50 pound potato launcher...  Just my $0.02...

This is exactly the dilemma I was struggling with but I dropped the potato launching torpedo at the machinist this am...its done!

Some one asked you about the heat coming from the Delk into to bag? Have you had enough experience with this can to notice any more heat going into the bag-bottom?

No issues with heat.  The pipe is about 2 inches below the bag.  Also nothing from the header without the heat shield...no difference to me.

Today, I made the move, and did the shortening mod to the old bazooka muffler.  The most difficult (tedious) part of the job was grinding the weld down, in order to remove the baffle.  Had a neighbor weld up the baffle after the whole mod.  Time involved...maybe 2 hours max.  I was even able to remove some of the fiber around the baffle, to give it a little sound.  I did the whole mod without removing anything from the bike, and it cost me a beer (for my neighbors welding expertise). Nando, in regards to your question about the front muffler cap...I just painted both my end caps black, gives that ugly old muffler a little more of an aggressive look.  This will suffice til I get a new slipon.

Yea Bruce,
...that Delkevic is started to sound good to me about the time I picked up the bazooka from the machinist who cut it up...did'nt look much different, nor did it become any lighter...only good thing is that it is still quiet...

Delkevic is still nOt listing mufflers for the C14...whatsup wit that?

Do they make a Carbon?...I would'nt be at all interested in polishing chrome...

Here is a photo from Ebay:
Just give them a call, or send a message to them from Ebay

Attachments

• DEL.jpg
    DEL.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 128
mehush said:

I cut my exhaust can and drilled LARGE holes in the plate inside it to let it breath better and it did change the sound. I like a little more noise but for the price??  But for the price ( $200 delivered ) I would consider the Delkevic.  Just saw one installed on a C-14 the other week at the LAST BLAST here is Florida and it looked good but was not as throaty as the Two Brothers that was was parked next to it when they both rev-ed them up.  On the other hand the cost is $200+ difference between the two,  Delkevic gets my money. :motonoises: 

TJ said:
The quality is better than I expected for 200 delivered.  I would buy again in a heartbeat.
one_zps7ba7948f.jpg

TJ,
I got more questions for ya: Does the Delkevic comes with a heat shield (that piece of chrome cover over the pipe going into the headers) or does one have to screw the stock in there?

I tried calling the web page and there are a gonner...but the eBay had a good phone and I left a message...

Can you tell me more about the sound in comparason with the stock...is the version with the baffle AS quiet AS  the stock or is it louder?

You notice anything different on your torque with the Delk slipon? lose any low torque/gain torque at high end?

I am getting psyched to dump the Potato launcher (as ZG calls it) Bazooka air spitter, tonage loading sucker off my bike...

Between stock seats and muffler, I just don't understand OEM designs on most bike...its another conspiracy...engineers take money under the table to keep aftermarketeers in business...

nando,
I removed the heat shield from the 2010 exhaust I was using.  It is just bolted on.  I then went to Lowes and bought the necessary hardware to secure it.  (hose clamps, allen bolts, flat washers, and threaded  clamps)  I can give you the part numbers if you go that route, not hard at all to do. 

I never ran it on the street with the baffle, after starting with it in I immediately shut it off and removed the baffle.  Sounded way to close to stock for me at idle.  After riding Harley's for years I now appreciate a quiet bike.  With that said I wanted to set it apart from stock, so I am running it w/o the baffle and to me it is slightly louder than stock but not loud by any means imo. 

I did not notice any torque differential, but did not get a lot of ride time.  It certainly did not feel like any loss, if anything it felt faster but that may have just been me twisting the wrist to hear the muffler.

Overall I would honestly give it a 10 for what I was after.  Economical muffler with great sound and looks.  The welds look pretty good to me.  The only knock I would give is that there are no instructions, and they did not provide a bolt/nut to secure the muffler to the drop clamp which bolts with the original hanger bolt.  Also the hole for the center stand bump stop was too small, I drilled it out to make it easier to fit the rubber stop in.  These are minor issues, as I understand some other mufflers have to be tweaked as well. 

Thanks TJ

How bout the length

I dont think I would want the heat shield ... I like the carbon fiber so i don't have to polish nothing

TJ, TJ, TJ, my brother from another mother, HOW LONG IS YOUR MUFFLER??? which length did you choose?  :)

I got the 18 incher.... :)

Kawasaki ZG1400 Concours 14 08-12 18" Polished Stainless Steel Muffler Exhaust

Delkevic silencers are handcrafted from the highest quality materials to enhance your motorcycle in both performance and looks. We guarantee to improve your riding experience at an unbeatable price.
Delkevic 18" oval silencers are made from high grade 304 Stainless Steel and polished to a mirror finish. With all hand welded parts and careful attention to detail they are superior in both looks and sound to the factory silencer.
This is a 5 piece set - 1 Link Pipe, 1 Silencer, 1 Strap and 2 Clamps.
The silencer can is 18" / 450mm in length.
The weight of the silencer is 5.85 lb / 2.660 kg.
All Delkevic silencers have a 12-Month Guarantee.
No rejetting or remapping is required after fitment however we always recommend a dyno test after fitting replacement parts to your motorcycle.
The sound of this set up is slightly louder than stock, with a very nice, deep, throaty, smooth sound. Give it a bit of a growl.

item number 170946729632 on Ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kawasaki-ZG1400-Concours-14-08-12-18-Polished-Stainless-Steel-Muffler-Exhaust-/170946729632?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27cd3816a0&vxp=mtr

5.8 lbs????? That talked me into it!!!

Shootes, I had to rent a fork lift every time I remove/install the 90mm surface-to-air exhaust on this bike...what in the world do they have in there, a piece of Jupiter...I wonder?

I might just get the same you got TJ instead of the Carbon Fiber...it 'll look like $heettses after I own it for a couple of months...between my driving in the rain and my adversity to shining things...but it will be cheap enough, and by God it sounds worth it!!

I sent the company a email & asked about a group buy at a different price.  They told me 10% but I'm asking if buy direct is a different price than EBAY price. Waiting for comeback mail. :great:

Alan you are the Angel of Mufflers kid...

...let us know ASAP on your endeavors...thank much!

I'm ready to get one at the standard price but will hold off a bit if I can save 10% Let me know please. :72:

Waiting for a come back from the company. Will give them a few days to respond and will post it on the forum once I hear from them.  ANYONE else interested? :mad:

Alan,

Start a thread proposing the group-buy for members...this thread is not specific to that...

nando said:
Yea Bruce,
...that Delkevic is started to sound good to me about the time I picked up the bazooka from the machinist who cut it up...did'nt look much different, nor did it become any lighter...only good thing is that it is still quiet...

how much did he cut off?
:-[ ::)

Man,
I had 4 inch from each side and removed the grey covers...ugly but effective

Attachments

• munched.muff.jpg
    munched.muff.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 182
- nando , if that pic of yours above is how your "cut" ended up , something went wrong in the cutting.

its all good Dog....I just took the grey covers in the front and back off...looks ugly yea!

Nando, I would put the covers back on and paint 'em black.  Sorry dude, you got the length right, but that looks horrible, especially on a bike that cost 5 digits.  :-X

...gotta agree with you Bruce...ugly is as ugly does...and the covers off does it!

I am standing by for a a potential group-buy at Delkevic...Alan is handling that.

As soon as I get a word from him: Ala Delkevic Muffy for me and I will sheet-can the Kawa exhaust torpedo

Yeh, as soon as ski season is over, I'll spring for the Delk system.  For now, I'm somewhat happy w/ the mod to the stock muffler.

The group buy from Delkevic Exhaust IS ON if anyone wants to take advantage of the 10% they are offering.  Call and ask for Luke Padilla  at 1-800-381-3065  (company #)  to place your order from the information posted on their EBAY sight.  He mentioned he would take PAY-PAL for payment in his email to me.  Sorry I couldn't get a larger discount but it is what it is. GOOD LUCK AND HAPPY MOTORING :'(  :great: :motonoises: :))

I'd like to know how many people take advantage of this offer.  Drop me a PM and let me know if you do.    Thanks Alan in  Ft Lauderdale Fl area.  :beerchug: :) ;)