• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

stock tires noisy ?

jumper

Tricycle
does anybody else think the stock bridgestone bt 021's are noisy or am I just hearing them cause more sound comes up from behind that bigoll fairing ?

Not sure how many miles you have on yours, but they get noisier with age and with the uneven wear on the tread you will likely feel some slight vibration under braking when pressure is increased on the tread blocks. This is not unique to the O.E. tires however.

Do yourself a favor now and just get the tires changed out to PR3's at this time. It will cure the sound and the inability to handle on just about any pavement. You will not believe the difference.

Thanks guys, the whole bike is still brand new,less than 2k miles, I'v been reading about "PR2's", is that refering to pilot road II ?
                                                            thanks,

Yup, PR3 = Pilot Road 3.

From what I have read here only a handful of riders were happy with the OE Bridgestones. The flip side is that a lot of others hated the original tires, with some even replacing them before they were worn out. I was not crazy about the OE's, they did wear funny and the ride characteristics changed pretty dramatically as they wore.

Almost 4K on a set of PR3's and very happy with them.

I took the stock tires off at the 600 mile service and put on PR3's.  :great:

ZG said:

I m just about ready to follow your steps ZG...these freaging rollers are noisy, they drift on me on some roads, and slip like ice skates on water and little bittie gravel...I got zero confidence on these tires....

I also have a new '12, and yeh the OEM tires do have some road noise.  It's amazing that at highway speed (or whatever), the engine makes absolutely no noise, yet the tires sound like a Freightliner.

nando said:
ZG said:

I m just about ready to follow your steps ZG...these freaging rollers are noisy, they drift on me on some roads, and slip like ice skates on water and little bittie gravel...I got zero confidence on these tires....

+100

i have a little over 12,000 miles on my OE Bridgestones and don't recall them being noisy. The front tire is down to the wear bars and scalloped with the center portion raised. The back tire still has plenty of tread on the sides and has flattened out somewhat... i must ride like a sissy! Anywho, i just bought a pair of PR3's based on the positive comments here on the board to see what difference they will make.

Bill

orangewingnut said:
i have a little over 12,000 miles on my OE Bridgestones and don't recall them being noisy. The front tire is down to the wear bars and scalloped with the center portion raised. The back tire still has plenty of tread on the sides and has flattened out somewhat... i must ride like a sissy! Anywho, i just bought a pair of PR3's based on the positive comments here on the board to see what difference they will make.

Bill

I am betting that after you install the PR3 you 'll realize that rumbling noise was not the engine...twas the tires...and then your will be enlightened in the ways of gripology, even if you drive mellow. It's just a bet. I could lose it.

orangewingnut said:
nando,

I'm ready to drink the pr3 'coolade'... ill let you know....

Bill

I hate it when you people talk me into spending money....One more post from you Orange, and my envy is gonna drive me right to the shop to dump these shheettta Stones.

My 1st day on my new 14 I was scuffed to the chicken bars. Just short of 4k on the OEM Bridgestones they look almost new

orangewingnut said:
Anywho, i just bought a pair of PR3's based on the positive comments here on the board to see what difference they will make

- am really looking forward to your review of the PR3s.

- its between the PR3 , Angel ST and Roadsmart II.

- the front on my 2012 OE B'stone is also getting a strange wear pattern on the center portion and may be accounting for the strange vibs. Did you remember any issues from your front tire's center wear pattern ?

- cheers

dog said:
orangewingnut said:
Anywho, i just bought a pair of PR3's based on the positive comments here on the board to see what difference they will make

- the front on my 2012 OE B'stone is also getting a strange wear pattern on the center portion and may be accounting for the strange vibs. Did you remember any issues from your front tire's center wear pattern ?

- cheers

After all the positive reviews on PR3's why would you entertain other tires?

dog said:
orangewingnut said:

- cheers

Dog,

my front oem was beyond scalloped with the sides worn in blocks... kinda hard to explain. The center of the tread looked raised up in comparison. The tech that changed my tires asked me' what the hell did you do to get the front tire to wear like that' and thought i neglected checking the tire pressure. I am very diligent about checking the pressure and usually check both tires before every ride.
But, i did get 12000 miles from them and i gotta tell you the rear had a few thousand miles left on it. I only have a few miles on the PR3's so i can't tell you the difference just yet. They're still pretty slippery and im anxious to scrub them in so i can see how good they really are.

Bill

My front stock tire wore weird too, and was done by 5800 miles. I've been running PR3's ever since. Just changed the front yesterday because I picked up a chunk of glass and it left a divot right in the main contact patch of the tread, otherwise, it still had a couple thousand left in it. I changed the rear about a month ago before a 1200 mile trip, it was getting close and didn't want to be down to the cord while far away from home, but it still had some life left too. I've been happy with the PR3 and I doubt I'll try anything else on this bike.