• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Strategies For Wiring Heated Gear?

noisycats

Tricycle
I posted on an old thread but didn't get much info.

I've got a new 2012 and was wondering how everyone runs the wiring for their heated gear? My needs are pretty simple. I just need a lead for my Gerbing Jacket. It seems difficult to get the lead to the left side of the bike though. Things are so tight in there! Are there any other ways to do this? Should I attach somewhere else other than the battery?

I personally ran it direct from the battery. I pulled the fuel tank since it only took a few minutes and I was doing other stuff anyway. I ran the wire out the bottom of the battery box and up under the fuel tank. I had it come out on the left handlebar. So I plugged in on the left bar and hooked my controller directly in front of my on my Chase Harper tank bag. It made it very easy to look down for adjustments (if I wanted  to actually look at it). When getting on or off the bike, I just disconnected quickly and walked away.

Attachments

• dual controller.jpg
    dual controller.jpg
    293.3 KB · Views: 199
  • plug in.jpg
    plug in.jpg
    298.1 KB · Views: 189
I used a Dispatch 1 so I control the heat on the ports (and seat) from the D1's remote mounted on my left handlebar (ProjekD handi stick).

1212C14-April10.jpg

I just lifted my tank a little and threaded it right through the left side.  Easy peasy Japaneesy.

FYI, the way I did it... with the battery compartment open and no battery, you can look and see light.  So I lifted the tank a tiny bit and pushed a coat hanger with a string on the tip from the left side into the battery case.  Untie string, remove coat hanger.  I then took the string and tied that around the end of the powerlet cord, and pulled it back through the left side.  Viola.