• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Stretching the Gas tank

I get around 40-45 MPG and usually fill up around 150 miles. Last night I was testing the limits and ran the beast until he got a block from the gas station on the resevoir. I walked it to the station and filled up. after filling up. I noticed the Bike was running a bit rough. Especially the first few miles and in the lower gears. By running out of gas did I mess with the low throttle needle? After 20 miles and hitting the higher speeds it seemed fine. I will put some seafoam in tonight. Is there anything else I should be cautious of? 98 Windsor Green Connie "Nicodemus" 17k COG #8566 AMA #1084059 CDA #0308

It sounds like you picked up some crud from the bottom of your tank by running it so low on fuel. Thats not a bad thing but the pilot jet holes are so small, it doesn't take much to clog one. This happened to me on my last trip also. The problem cleared up on its own , but I ran seafoam through it also. If it doesn't clear up then you will need to pull and clean the carbs. It also might be a good idea to drain the carb bowls just to see if there is crud in the bottom of the bowls. Oh and by the way I have run 325 miles on a tank just to see what it would do. Good luck, Mark

+1 on what Mark said. I suspect you may have water in the carb bows. Drain all the bowls into a glass jar and hold up to the light you will be able to see any water that has got in. If you do find water in the carb bowls I suggest you either use a

Thats why I always run mine down to reserve when just riding back and forth to work. On long trips I like to plan stops and never push it. So i might never hit reserve on a multi day ride. For local, daily commute I run it to reserve every tank. So I know it works and crud is not getting built up in the bottom. 2003 Concours, 56K COG #6953 IBA 28004 http://home.comcast.net/~slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm
VisitedStatesMap.jpg
VisitedProvincesMap.jpg

You can just put it on reserve whenever you want, it'll draw the fuel from bottom of the tank whether your at 6 gallons or .6 gallons. By running on reserve every now and then if anything is in there(water) you stand a chance of being able to go go back the normal position and make it home. It's good to figure that out when you don't need it. I put mine on reserve for a 20-30 mile run every couple of weeks or so.

Next time you are "testing" the fuel range limits, tip your bike over towards the left & more than likely you'll get enough gas on that side to make it to the gas station. Yep, BTDT!!!

Well I threw the seafoam in last night and ran it for a while this morning. Seems to have gotten the job done. I never thought of just throwing the petcock on RES during normal riding but will begin that practice now. And throwing the bike to the left to make it to the Gas Station is brilliant! Still have a few more weeks until winter maintenance. When I get to play on the Bike. Since this is the first winter of really having it - I have lots of plans. Thanks all for your wisdom. One of the many things I love about this group! 98 Windsor Green Connie "Nicodemus" 17k COG #8566 AMA #1084059 CDA #0308

And throwing the bike to the left to make it to the Gas Station is brilliant! Just remember that the same gravity that pulls the fuel from the high side of the tank is also trying to put her on the ground COG # 8062 AMA # 1084053 ROMA or Scarlet harlot acording to my wife

I've made 360 miles on a single tank before but I do tend to overfill which isn't a problem if you immediately ride a few miles. One time, after leaning the bike to the left to get the last few drops down to the carbs, I managed to make it to a gas station (1/4 to 1/2 mile) with much misfiring and barely any power. How's that for stretching the gas tank? As I filled up I had the petcock in the prime position so the float bowls would fill first. The pump registered more than 7.8 gallons when the tank was full. If you don't ever run with the petcock in the reserve or prime positions, (which draw gas from the same lowest level possible) then all manner of garbage can collect over time and be just begging to make the trip down to your carbs when you finally do switch the petcock over. +1 on draining the float bowls and the seafoam idea. It's a good plan to flush/drain the float bowls like once per year just to see what's passing through your gas tank.

I just had troubles with my tank,Full of rust it was and some one fitted an in-line fuel filter with in the fuel pipe,I took the tank off "easy job" but remember were all the pipes go as there are a few of them.I gave the filter in the tank a f#good clean ,Cleaned the tank out with rust renorvator washed it through with water ,Let it stand for 2-3 days then re-flushed it and put a hair dryer pointing in the filler hole for about 20 mins ,gave it a good shake and more hot air then re fited it .Filled it with juice and after 20 seconds vrooooooooom she was back. That also fixed my fuel guage aswell lol must have been a loose wire under the tank,but after the needle goes half way down the fuel is empty!

... The pump registered more than 7.8 gallons when the tank was full. ...
Impressive. The most I've ever squoze in was 7.4 but it wasn't stumbling yet. 7.6 in an empty tank offa the Conc. They're hand-made which may acct for the variations. I like pushing the tank capacity but shure as heyal don't like pushing the Conc. I git tarred jest thinkin bout dat! 01 Conc, Mijami Floriduh OTP 06: http://tinyurl.com/2vk9o2 route map: http://tinyurl.com/4p7pmd
yzdfi9.jpg
yzdfib.jpg
yzdfia.jpg
y6x7zt.jpg

I ran my tank low at the southern end of the blue ridge a couple of years ago, and had to nurse the bike all the way to CT. Now I ride the first 20 miles or so of each tank on reserve. With the pessimistic fuel gauge, it's really not an issue. When the guage reads empty, I still have about 60 miles to go! Also, here's a variation of the tip the bike to left trick. I was low on gas and on reserve, I took a hard right hand turn at speed and had the engine cut out. Kinda scary when you're not expecting it.