• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Stupid drop and I HATE weak parts

Scoobywagon

Big Wheel
Some Background:  I've owned this bike for about 4 weeks.  When you enter my driveway from the street, it goes uphill, makes a right turn and then levels out right in front of the garage door.  Since I'm not buff enough to pick this thing up and turn it around, I typically let it roll slowly backwards (dragging the front brake a little) and make a 3 point turn to get turned around and out of my driveway.

In this particular instance, I had successfully made the first half of the three point turn and come to a stop.  I picked my left foot up to put it in gear, but I was off balance ever so slightly on that side (also the downhill side) and over we went.  The bike landed on the bag, foot peg, hand grip and mirror.  The part that broke?  The foot peg bracket. *grumble*snarl*.  WHO MAKES A FOOT PEG BRACKET OUT OF CAST ALUMINUM AND THEN MACHINES IT DOWN THAT THIN????

Anyway, I bought a replacement part (took 3 days to get.  Not awesome).  And now I'm in the process of replicating the part in laminate steel.  Because a drop like that shouldn't break stuff!

If you grind off the pointy cam on the footpegs themselves it can help a lot to reduce this issue.

The way it is OEM, its a sharp pressure point on a tip over.

Keep grinding until the angle the peg will fold up is as high as possible.

What Stasch said, also - tipover bars.

Broke left mirror and fairing before I ordered tipovers. Mirror was HALF the cost of the tipover bars.

Since then I've dropped her 2 or 3 times, and the only part that touches is the tipover bar. AND its a whole lot easier to pickup.

I gor hammered at a barband dropped my 2008 TWICE before a good samaratin intervened and rode it home for me.
Obviously, I'm deeply embarrassed to admit this.  I haven't dropped a bike for alcohol-related reasons since 1998.  But the Cobcours came away with minor scratches on the hard bags.

Charley,let us know if you make it and its financially feasible attempt.Then make one for the rightside,it is to easy to break also.I would loose parts to sell,but a near permanent replacement would be better for us all.  The Wizard

Stacy....what is this cam to grind off? Dropped mine today and the left foot peg is the casualty. I'm from Winnipeg but currently in Southern California (Perris) and the local dealer says a week to get the replacement parts. On a 4-6 week ride. Dumb move on my part to drop it.

Dave go to murphskits for next or 2 day delivery for the mounts, maybe a day longer to the west coast.
Order before Murph goes to the national.

After fix you grind a radius on the foot peg so that it can fold up more before it interferes with the mount and breaks it. I will look for post on that.

Below is a link to the fix
http://www.delp.net/Concours/Tech/Footpeg_Mod/index.htm

Here is a link to murphskits sight, and he is a member and good guy that supplies ice cream for a social meet at the national rally's.

http://www.murphskits.com/