• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Sturgis 2011 Route Suggestions from Los Angeles/Orange County

Motomaniac

COG Southwest Area Director
My wife and I are leaving for Sturgis on 8/4 from Mission Viejo, Ca.with an arrival time late 8/6. I will have my 08 and wife will be riding a 07 Vulcan 900 Classic. Our group (Have 8 persons meeting us from Chicago) are renting a house in Sturgis. I have us going mostly interstate the way up and getting on local highways in Wyoming to reach our destination. I also looked at taking highway 10 off interstate 70 and hooking that off to highway 191 through Vernal on the way to Rock Springs, Wyoming. From there route NW to Buffalo where I would hook up to I-90 the rest of way or go to Rawlins then Casper through Gillette to Sturgis.

Any other suggestions and comments from other forum members that have ridden these roads. Also I have been thinking on the way back go I-25 south to I-70 West to I-15 south back home. Any comments,suggestions on this would be appreciated also. :-\

Rusty,

Just did 191 from Vernal to Rock Springs this last June, nice road with beautiful scenery. Be careful between Vernal and the dam, I was warned about heavy police and sure enough there were a couple working the road. Also, WY Hwy 16 between Worland and Buffalo is a fun road. Try and ride the Bear Tooth Hwy 212, we rode it from YS to Cheif Joseph Hwy and it was closed to Red Lodge, so we took CJ to Cody.

When in the Black Hills, do the Spearfish Canyon. Also, Lewie's out side if Lead, SD is a good place to stop and eat.

Kurt

Thanks Kurt for your comments! We will be careful through Vernal. we will check out Lewie's and check out Spearfish among other rides while out there! Leave in 6 days......any other ;) Forum members have any other advise for Rookie Sturgis Riders? ;)

Sorry Rusty, I've always approached things for a different view... The East  :rotflmao:

I think you are coming in from a much better direction, as far as roads and riding. Things really kinda flatten out as you head east. But with that said, one of the most memorable times on one of my trips to Sturgis was one afternoon when everyone was off doing something and my wife just wanted to take a nap in the A/C, I decided to just take a blast east on rt34. Just brought the bike up to 80mph and locked the throttle for 90 minutes, just to see what's out there. When I turned around to head back, I shut the bike off and listened to the beautiful sounds of....silence. Nothing but hay bales and a couple of antelope. Took me 2 1/2 hours to get back, I kept stopping to soak in more of the peacefulness....

I know a lot of the COG faithfull will see the "Sturgis" word and scoff about all the bad parts of going to the Black Hills during Rally week but I envy you. COG puts on some great rallies: local, area and national. They are like big family gatherings. But there 's something about going to rally the size of Sturgis (or Daytona, Laconia, Americade, ...). Personally, my wife loves the big rally atmostphere and I just like taking her there and being able to ride some interesting roads. Make sure you report back on your trip.  :beerchug: