• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Sunday morning confession

pilgrim

It happened the other morning when I got to work.  Pulled into the parking spot and put the side stand down.  Was ready to get off, but I noticed the stand was right on a crack in the pavement. So, I pulled forward a bit at an angle, then backed up a bit so the stand wasn’t in the crack.  Looked better, and thought everything was good.  Wrong.  Apparently, the stand was not fully extended after the repositioning.

Dismounted on the left side and stood facing it.  As I started pulling my gloves off, I notice the bike pushing against my legs as it was slowly falling to the left.  I quickly managed to grab the handlebars, but by now it was leaning over too far and there was no stopping it.  It was going over.  I managed to lay it down softly on the left side.

Damage to the bike was minimal, broken peg feeler, a scuff in the lower plastic fairing and scuffed drive shaft plastic cover.  Bags were not on.  Mirror did not touch the ground.

Damage to the Honda Civic parked to the left, severely dented rear passenger door.  The momentum from catching and laying down the 700 lb. monster threw me into it.  I heard it crumple as it absorbed the left side body check I gave it. 

It was fun explaining that one to the car owner and the insurance company. 

You sure did give that cage a serious body check, Pilgrim.  What a way to start off the work day!  I'm really glad the damage was minimal and you weren't hurt.  Watch those kickstands, folks - this seems to be more of an issue with the C14 than the C10 - but perhaps that's because there are more C14s around at this point.

And so it has now become my sad duty to confirm you as the 549th recipient of the uncoveted Connie Droppers Anonymous Award.  You have yet another tale to share around a Rally campfire.  My sincerest condolences!

The five most recent unfortunates:
0545 C14 Thomas Wrede
0546 C10 Jeffrey Hayes
0547 C14 Gary Moniz
0548 C10 Jesus Alvarez
0549 C14 Joseph Gionet

Thanks Chip.  The sad/bad feelings are fading away more and more as each day goes by, and now I can smile and laugh about.